Love from the UK

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buscape

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am an aerospace student from the uk currently working on a stability analysis of a rocket and eager to lean on any expertise in this forum! thank you for having me.

Thank you ! for context: I'm using the stability derivatives method for a sounding rocket where i create a transfer function using simulink and then using that to analyse the frequency response at different flight conditions.

My main issue at the minute is deciding which stability derivatives/coefficients apply to a rocket? I'm using flight stability and control by nelson as my basis of my work however it is in reference to an aircraft so I'm confused as to what applies or what terms doesn't?

Does a rocket experience downwash since my rocket doesn't have wing but there would be downwash on the tail?
let me know for any clarifications I've kind of splurged, any input is welcomed!

Hi. I'm also in the UK and work at University of South Wales. The best text I've found on the stability is 'Topics in Advanced Model Rocketry' by Mandell et al, It's published by MIT Press in 1973. In soite of its age it's a very comprehensive analysis of the dynamics and stability of fin stabilised rockets. 600 pages and lots of maths, but surprisingly accessible if you're happy with differential equations.

Yes this looks like what im looking for! thank you i very much appreciate that, i will try get a hold of it and work through them. Will let you know if any questions arise. Cheers Phil!

Welcome.

Have you had a look at Missile Aerodynamics by Nielson? 1960 and 1988. Chapter 10 deals with stability deriveratives. There are also chapters on wing body interferences, downwash sidewash and wake, and other interesting things.

Welcome! I used to live in the UK (Stationed at RAF Upper Heyford (1988-1990))... Good luck with the project!

Back