Love coffee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumpkin spice creamer? That was a joke, right? Make mine black, please.
I think the barely roasted craze is a reaction to Starbuck's mostly dark roasts. It brings out the snob in some people, just like pumpkin spice creamer does. Definitely true that darker roasts can mask some flavors of the source bean (crummy beans are better dark) but I'm squarely in the dark roast camp and doubt I could ever be converted. There is an objectionable flavor in lighter roasts that is hard to describe but disappears in longer roasts. That said, the length of time between French roast and charcoal is measured in seconds when roasting beans at home.
But pumpkin... spice? That's two things wrong with that creamer! Goes with your oatmeal raisin cookie.

There is an objectionable flavor in lighter roasts that is hard to describe but disappears in longer roasts.

Is it the acidity or something else for you? Lighter roasts are usually more acidic. I prefer a darker roast, but more of a medium-dark roast than French.

You guys are so lucky. I discovered that the apparent cause of my bowel problems, and esophageal spasms was coffee. I used to drink a cup a day of caffeinated and a cup or two of decaf with, no issues until about 5 years ago, and wham, bowel problems (not going into details, other than to say things weren't working right), etc. Researched the issue, discovered that coffee irritates the esophagus, speeds up intestinal motility, and shall we say causes bowel control problems. I can have an occasional cup, but if I even try to have it more than once a week or so, problems are back again. Really stinks, as I love coffee.

You guys are so lucky. I discovered that the apparent cause of my bowel problems, and esophageal spasms was coffee. I used to drink a cup a day of caffeinated and a cup or two of decaf with, no issues until about 5 years ago, and wham, bowel problems (not going into details, other than to say things weren't working right), etc. Researched the issue, discovered that coffee irritates the esophagus, speeds up intestinal motility, and shall we say causes bowel control problems. I can have an occasional cup, but if I even try to have it more than once a week or so, problems are back again. Really stinks, as I love coffee.
That’s a real bummer. I had noticed people seemed to talk more about stomach problems, some of which I attribute to the lighter roasted, higher acid coffees that have become more and more popular. I have had a number of customers talk about how the deeper roasting that I prefer has allowed them to drink coffee again after having issues with the light roasts. Yours sounds a little more involved than just the acidity.

Is it the acidity or something else for you? Lighter roasts are usually more acidic. I prefer a darker roast, but more of a medium-dark roast than French.

I'm not sure; seems like more than just acidity. I usually wait for the second crack to start but as long as the first crack finishes completely it tastes ok to me.

OUR CURIOUS RELATIONSHIP WITH CAFFEINE
10 Mar 2021

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/10/our-curious-relationship-with-caffeine/
There is no standard cup of coffee, but my cup of instant is likely to give me around 50 mg of caffeine and I can expect about twice that from an equivalent cup of a typical brewed coffee. Meanwhile a can of Coca-cola has 34 mg, while its caffeine-enhanced cousins have about 80mg per can, as does the slightly smaller can size of the UK version of Red Bull. Our favourite Club-Mate isn’t quite as strongly caffeinated as other energy drinks at 20mg per 100ml, but its larger 500ml bottle contains 100mg of caffeine.

In regular use, I avoid anything other than filtered coffee because, amazingly, the paper filter removes the component of coffee that increases bad cholesterol. Instant coffee is not made via a filtering process.

Grew up on NAVY coffee strong enough to take paint off a ships hull.
I do appreciate a nice refined cup though. Is there a source to get properly roasted beans? Not interested in roasting my own but would not mind buying some. I have started drinking Black Rifle Coffee past few years. They have a good selection and my money will always go to a veteran owned business first if i can help it.

...<link snipped - see original post>...
In regular use, I avoid anything other than filtered coffee because, amazingly, the paper filter removes the component of coffee that increases bad cholesterol. Instant coffee is not made via a filtering process.
"Early studies confirmed that coffee diterpenes (especially cafestol), effectively increase human plasma triacylglycerol and low-density lipoprotein (LDL), may be a potential risk of inducing some cardiovascular diseases [7,14]. However, from a more comprehensive perspective, cafestol and kahweol show a remarkable two-faced effect. In addition to the deleterious effects on serum lipid levels and liver enzymes in some cases, extensive studies have demonstrated that cafestol and kahweol exhibit a wide variety of pharmacological activities, including anti-inflammatory, anti-angiogenic and anti-tumorigenic properties."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6747192/
Nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

Tony

It’s here. https://www.bluelavacoffeeroasters.com/roasts/rwanda-nyamasheke-decaf
You have to click one of the coffees on the main page and it brings you to all of the offerings.

Hi Db,,
I need to order again.
I can't find my previous order.
I liked one more then the other.
I want to order the one i liked more and some more of something else to try.
Generally, I like east african coffees..
I'm not sure but I think the one I liked more is the Papua New Guinea..
What do you recommend I order ??

Teddy

Hi Db,,
I need to order again.
I can't find my previous order.
I liked one more then the other.
I want to order the one i liked more and some more of something else to try.
Generally, I like east african coffees..
I'm not sure but I think the one I liked more is the Papua New Guinea..
What do you recommend I order ??

Teddy
Teddy,
There is a great Ethiopian on the site right now. Those are my favorite East African coffees. I don’t have a Papua New Guinea to offer currently but I do have a washed Sulawesi that has a lot of similar characteristics. Those are the two from the list I would recommend.
https://www.bluelavacoffeeroasters.com/roasts/ethiopia-dp-tarakechhttps://www.bluelavacoffeeroasters.com/roasts/sulawesi-gowaDan

Teddy,
There is a great Ethiopian on the site right now. Those are my favorite East African coffees. I don’t have a Papua New Guinea to offer currently but I do have a washed Sulawesi that has a lot of similar characteristics. Those are the two from the list I would recommend.
https://www.bluelavacoffeeroasters.com/roasts/ethiopia-dp-tarakechhttps://www.bluelavacoffeeroasters.com/roasts/sulawesi-gowaDan

Dats pretty funny Alex, lol..

Dan,
May I trouble you ??
Can you tell me what two were my last order ??

Teddy

Just found this thread. (back from the dead)

I decided to become a BRCC coffee dealer at my little corner of the world (motorcycle shop), and so I turned into a bit of a coffee nerd. Not nearly as bad as their CEO Evan, but that's okay.

We bought and tried Civet coffee two years back on a camping trip. EVERYONE talks about it, but who has actually had it? Pricey to get the real stuff andddd....well, it definitely changed the flavor, but to be honest. It makes the coffee too smooth for me, no bite at all. But, we can all say we had it. The one guy camping with us had a hard time, but once we all had some he got over it.

Last edited:
3e5e2e2718dc7f24ad4f51af44252ab1.jpeg

Back