Love coffee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why we shouldn't like coffee, but we do
November 15, 2018

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-11-shouldnt-coffee.html

Why do we like the bitter taste of coffee? Bitterness evolved as a natural warning system to protect the body from harmful substances. By evolutionary logic, we should want to spit it out.

But, it turns out, the more sensitive people are to the bitter taste of caffeine, the more coffee they drink, reports a new study from Northwestern Medicine and QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute in Australia. The sensitivity is caused by a genetic variant.

"You'd expect that people who are particularly sensitive to the bitter taste of caffeine would drink less coffee," said Marilyn Cornelis, assistant professor of preventive medicine at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. "The opposite results of our study suggest coffee consumers acquire a taste or an ability to detect caffeine due to the learned positive reinforcement (i.e. stimulation) elicited by caffeine."

In other words, people who have a heightened ability to taste coffee's bitterness—and particularly the distinct bitter flavor of caffeine—learn to associate "good things with it," Cornelis said.

In this study population, people who were more sensitive to caffeine and were drinking a lot of coffee consumed low amounts of tea. But that could just be because they were too busy drinking coffee, Cornelis noted.

The study also found people sensitive to the bitter flavors of quinine and of PROP, a synthetic taste related to the compounds in cruciferous vegetables, avoided coffee. For alcohol, a higher sensitivity to the bitterness of PROP resulted in lower alcohol consumption, particularly of red wine.

"The findings suggest our perception of bitter tastes, informed by our genetics, contributes to the preference for coffee, tea and alcohol," Cornelis said.

So after reading all, I have a question, who out there knows where to get great coffee by the pound, on line if necessary that doesn't require a roaster. I have a grinder, French press, Italian espresso coffee maker, and the good old drip unit.
Thanks, John

So after reading all, I have a question, who out there knows where to get great coffee by the pound, on line if necessary that doesn't require a roaster. I have a grinder, French press, Italian espresso coffee maker, and the good old drip unit.
Thanks, John
That's a difficult question to answer since everyone has their own tastes. I am not EVEN a coffee connoisseur so, while I used to buy beans to grind for espresso, for consistency and ease of use I found a pre-ground brand I like and stuck with it. I even saved a bunch of labels from the cans which fit perfectly around a 4" body tube just in case I ever get around to building my "Aerobean Hi" rocket wrapped in them:

81HqYNJGLaL._SL1500_.jpg

The Starbucks I've been haunting in Covington has allowed me an advantage by bringing my Saturn V there to work on. I don't know what the price of coffee is there any more than I know what the price of gas is. One thing has been proven in the 2 1/2 years I've been there, I've been getting my money's worth by the constant conversations I've been having from men, women and children. When you can turn a 'disadvantage' into an advantage, you're doing something right and it shows.

That's a difficult question to answer since everyone has their own tastes. I am not EVEN a coffee connoisseur so, while I used to buy beans to grind for espresso, for consistency and ease of use I found a pre-ground brand I like and stuck with it. I even saved a bunch of labels from the cans which fit perfectly around a 4" body tube just in case I ever get around to building my "Aerobean Hi" rocket wrapped in them:

81HqYNJGLaL._SL1500_.jpg
Got a can, I use for my Italian/Puerto Rican Expresso coffee maker. Mix with milk and you have cafe-con-letche. Or just espresso.
Haven't tried it on another coffee maker. Anyone?

Find a local shop and start trying all their options. I like a few from Black Rifle Coffee Company that I can order on amazon etc. And a local company makes one called Grog that has a hazelnut taste to it that I enjoy.

I never had a coffee until I my mid thirties, about three years after I started dating wife. She is a high school teacher and she used to teach in Italy each summer. The first time I went to meet her for the last three weeks of her summer, you know the saying, when in Rome...

Having said that, I am spoiled living where I live, Uptown Toronto. I can walk to a dozen high quality Barista crafted coffee spots within 5 minuets.

I'll echo the idea of finding a local roaster, if possible, and try their offerings to suit your taste. I love Brazilian coffee either French roast or Italian roast. It is very robust and has a broad flavor profile. I buy from a company called Nossa Familia in Portland, OR. They have cafes there and a web store.

Also, buy whole beans and grind then as needed. The flavor and aroma of freshly ground coffee is superlative.

My neighbor got into 'good' coffee, researched it like crazy, started doing pour-overs (the only real way to get a cup of good coffee according to him) and generally became obsessed. But he's retired with nothing better to do. I like coffee with some creamer. That's pretty much all I need. I'd love to learn to make really good coffee, but there just seem better ways right now to spend my day and money. The McDonalds $1 cup is fine for me, but mostly I drink what I brew in the big coffee maker at my office, Costco Dunkin Donuts already ground coffee. Not great, not terrible, just coffee.

Now wine, on the other hand...

Tony

Local roasters, for sure. My regular supply comes from YES PLZ, they're off La Brea between me and my office so the coffee is always super fresh, plus it comes with a free zine. My supply is synced up to get delivered with their music issues, which I love.

When I'm in Brooklyn, I always grab a pound of Devoción from the shop because it's delicious and distinct. I hit up Madcap when I was in Detroit recently for work and was super pleased with their "Party" roast (and I hope it's a Drag Race reference but I forgot to ask). And when I'm on the playa and don't have my standard brewing implements, I get either the Veranda Via instant from Starbucks or Swift Cup if I'm feeling fancy.

Got curious and just looked this up. Apparently it's "Cuban style." BTW, you'll note a can of it in the kitchen of a number of Two and a Half Men episodes. I don't know if they were paid for the placement or it was just a free promo because someone in the position to make the call likes it.

In The Iconic Café Bustelo, A Story Of New York’s Spanish Immigrant Community

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino...ew-york-s-spanish-immigrant-community-n811061

When Latinos today think about Café Bustelo, the plain red and yellow 10 oz. brick envasado al vacío (“vacuum packed”) reminds them of Cuba, Puerto Rico, and other Latino origins. But very few people know that the founder Gregorio Bustelo was born in Spain.

For almost 90 years, Café Bustelo has established itself as the leading coffee brand in many Latino households from Florida to New York and other parts of the United States. But hidden in the bold aroma and flavor of the old Cuban-style espresso is a story about early Spanish-speaking immigrants who came together from different countries to build one of the first Latino communities in New York.

Like many immigrants, parts of Gregorio Bustelo’s biography have become fuzzy over time or are entirely missing. And even the coffee company until recently said that the founder was born in Galicia, Spain. But James Fernandez, a New York University professor and Spanish immigration historian, told a group during a recent tour of the Spanish Harlem neighborhood in New York City that he discovered through immigration records that Bustelo’s birthplace was in Asturias, another part of Spain.

Bustelo, the company is very much a rags-to-riches story that started with a small storefront in Spanish Harlem and was then distributed through bodegas in other Latino neighborhoods. Now, the Cuban-style espresso is making its way slowly into mainstream American households after being acquired by the breakfast giant J.M. Smucker in 2011.

bustelo3_d76f4aa3e4d0ec8b53df3069f162c8ee.fit-560w.jpg

Here's a local company I like, they of course sell online.

https://www.ironbrewcoffee.com/

I love coffee, especially iced coffee in warm weather. I am not a coffee snob though. I can be seen drinking Exxon at the gas station ;)

I drink a lot of coffee but it's mostly an excuse to take a break. Interesting world though. Downloaded.

If you really want bad coffee do it the army way. Boil 20 gal water in a big pot, throw in a few pounds of canned coffee of dubious quality supplied by the low bidder and let it boil for a while. Then put it in a plastic insulated transport container that previously had grape koolaid in it. Drag it out to the field until it's lukewarm and serve. You will learn to enjoy just about any other cup of coffee.
;)

Been drinking burnt bean coffee my whole life, I'm no coffee snob. Three to four cups of hot, black, bargain brand coffee goodness gets me up and going every day. I have a friend who spends 15-20 minutes every morning making coffee, with the grinding and the slowly pouring the water over the grounds, all for one cup. Who has the time or patience for that kind of thing? I put the coffee and water in the machine at night, set the timer and the smell wakes me up in the morning. Awesome black gold for only 3¢ a cup.

This is a song that will stick in your skull.

If you really want bad coffee do it the army way. Boil 20 gal water in a big pot, throw in a few pounds of canned coffee of dubious quality supplied by the low bidder and let it boil for a while. Then put it in a plastic insulated transport container that previously had grape koolaid in it. Drag it out to the field until it's lukewarm and serve. You will learn to enjoy just about any other cup of coffee.
;)
Did it come in rectangular silver cans? If so, same stuff the Navy used. We used to trade it overseas for repair work and drank coffee we made in the electronics shop.
That stuff was nasssty...

I usually get coffee from a local roaster, have them grind it, and brew in a drip maker. Grinding it fresh and using a French Press is great, but I don't like to spend the time in the morning before work. I'm also not above drinking coffee from the hospital cafeteria or a truck stop. I just need my fix.

Thanks, John
https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/AK-47 isn't bad, i prefer the darker flavors

https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/I've found it at the local Walmart

https://nmpinoncoffee.com/I have tried the Traditional and the Dark Pinon flavors, have a bag of Pinon Fudge not opened yet.

Sometimes I just quit coffee cold turkey but after about a month or so my body wants for it in a desperate and healthy way.

Back