Love coffee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been busy last two days catching up on roasting. With temps in the -20's now it is slower since people using allot of power now, 4min normal roasts now close to 6min, but all caught up now. Looking forward to the new one .

IMG_2371_Honduras-1000.jpg

"Popcorn Pumper" 1250w
Popcorn_Pumper_1.JPG

I cold brew. Heat is detrimental to coffee.

Out of curiosity - what is the science behind that conclusion?

You will never go back.

I've tried cold brews before, but the extra time for preparation is a major obstacle for me.
Also, I kinda like the hot nature of coffee drinks, and have been known to microwave cold coffee back up to temp to enjoy them.

I am entirely open to re-learning to appreciate cold brews, but would need to better understand the motivation.

a

Out of curiosity - what is the science behind that conclusion?

I've tried cold brews before, but the extra time for preparation is a major obstacle for me.
Also, I kinda like the hot nature of coffee drinks, and have been known to microwave cold coffee back up to temp to enjoy them.

I am entirely open to re-learning to appreciate cold brews, but would need to better understand the motivation.

a
I put 1lb of coffee (I use community coffee with chickory) into the cold brew carafe which has a filter in the bottom. Fill it up with cold water, give it a stir and let it sit for 24hrs. Then just pull the rubber plug in the bottom and the cold brew concentrate drains the through the filter into a glass carafe which i keep in the fridge.

1/4 cup of conentrate and 3/4 to 1 cup of water and heat in the microwave. Voila. Easy peasy.

According to some of the "Experts", coffee is going to be the next item too suffer shortages and extreme price increases.

Thats been a thought for over a year, I stalked up , suppliers were at 1/2 stock last year already.

Regarding the shortages, over the past couple of months, my local Costco has not had our regular coffee in stock. We usually get the Kirkland Columbian, and they didn’t have it for a long time.

So I started buying another kind they carried at Costco called Mayorga or some similar word mashup of “Mayan” and “organic”. At first I didn’t really like it as much, but it really started to grow on me. Then that one disappeared too.

Finally, last week we were down to the last beans— crisis! I went to Costco figuring I would get whatever they had, and the Columbian was back in stock! Yay! I got two bags. My wife and I agree, it tastes like crap! Maybe we got used to the Mayan stuff, or maybe something changed about the Kirkland Columbian.

Finally, last week we were down to the last beans— crisis! I went to Costco figuring I would get whatever they had, and the Columbian was back in stock! Yay! I got two bags. My wife and I agree, it tastes like crap!
Inflation comes in three forms.
Increasing prices.
Smaller sizes, weights, volumes etc.
Decreasing quality.

Your coffee may be a victim of that last one.

Having been in places where a large coffee brewer has day-old coffee in it and I still drink it and somewhat enjoy it,
This made me laugh so hard. I read your comment right after telling myself, “Well, I should stay out of this conversation being as how I enjoy lukewarm instant coffee made with tap water.”

Lol

After I drink
coffee I like to
show the empty
mug to the IT guy
to tell him that
I've successfully
installed Java. He
hates me.

I've arrived at the point where I think that in ten or fifteen years, coffee may very well become a beverage imbibed only by the affluent.
It might happen sooner than that the way things are going.

Back