loud motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Does anyone know from experience which of these motors give off a nice roar? I'm looking for some that will be a definite crowd pleaser to high school students and teachers during an exibition launch. Hopefully the power of the motors will get people interested in the Rocketry Club and maybe even form a TARC team!

D21
F20
F23
F25
G40
G80

Thanks.

Your best bet is probably the G40...although F20's roar pretty good, too.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Does anyone know from experience which of these motors give off a nice roar? I'm looking for some that will be a definite crowd pleaser to high school students and teachers during an exibition launch. Hopefully the power of the motors will get people interested in the Rocketry Club and maybe even form a TARC team!

Set up a sound baffle around the pad to reflect the sound at the audience.

Go for visuals too: set a pan of water under the exhaust.

Hey! You found the internet! I guess that means you're either already in Dallas, or have found an internet cafe along the way.

The F20 is surprisingly loud. That makes it one of my favorite MPR motors, since it's good for small-field flights on larger models. The G40 is a real attention-getter, though.

F20 pound for pound. lol. a D21 is a sick little puppy. throw that in a small estes or flis kits 18mm kit, kapow. i lost a star dart that way. not terribly loud, but it zips those little estes betas out of the sky. impressively fast. go with an F20 though for crowd pleaser. IMO

I will also say F20's. G64's are pretty loud, however G40s and F20s are pretty good.

No contest!;) The Econojet F20!

The first time I launched one of those for my wife she almost wet herself...her words not mine!:D

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Set up a sound baffle around the pad to reflect the sound at the audience.

Go for visuals too: set a pan of water under the exhaust.

In talking with a well-known rocketry photographer, I learned a trick for good visuals is to pile up a mound of loose dirt under the rocket and pull off the blast plate. Kicks up a lot of debris and makes it look very powerful and exciting.

WW

F25's are pretty darn loud too. That's rapidly becoming my favorite motor for AT kits.

F20 all the way! A F20-W is the motor that you should go with! It packs a nice throaty roar & a realy good motor for the bigger MPR birds.
Karl

G-35 Econojets have a loud throathy roar to them. I find them louder than the G-40 and G-80's.

Most any White Lightening motor will be loud for it's size, with a good mix of smoke, and nice visible flame. The G80 is plenty loud, but is a Blue Thunder, with a short burn, very little flame and smoke. F23's, and G38's are Black Jack's. Lots of smoke, but more of a hiss, than a roar, and almost no visible flame at all.

One more thing, if you really want to impress them, get yourself a 29mm saucer, and pop in an Ellis G20 :)

the F20 is loud, the G64 is loud as well, not as loud as the F20, what would happen if you put a pan of water under the exhaust?

F20 hands down...old F20's if you can find 'em (have the old epoxy forward bulkhead). Those suckers have a full diameter delay grain in them (blackjack propellant, from what I hear...), which not only darkened the smoke a bit, but made them crackle a lot more than the new ones. G64W and 40W's are great too just as any WL propellant motor would be. I also hear that the RMS E18W (I think that's it) is quite loud too supposedly due to it's smaller nozzle. But that's just what I've heard from other people. I definately know from experience that the F20W and G40 and 64W's are loud. I bet the new 29mm WL G for the new 29/120 HPR case is loud too. It's called the G69W, right? Hope that helped....have fun with it!

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Hey! You found the internet! I guess that means you're either already in Dallas, or have found an internet cafe along the way.

Internet?

What's an internet?

I was just thinking through my implants and the words appeared on the screen.

Got in 11PM Sunday. My wife got here a week before so the DSL was already running. Came in with almost 300 motors plus all the composite stuff and your two monitors. Unpacked what was waiting for me, and now have the vacuum system ready to set up.

Look out Tejas, I'm ready to do some damage to your sky. First stop, Windom on Saturday. I got a G80-7 ready for the Mirage.

Back