Lost my job but I don't care

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldsrockets

Reaction score
Man, this has been a crazy week and I just happened to lose my job today due to my supervisor spreading untrue statements to my office manager about my job performance:mad: :mad: :kill: .

Like Ryan S. said in an earlier post, maybe this will make me feel a little better.

I'm just a little bummed because it'll mean less money to support what I love to do.:(

Hey Don, hold your head up - you're better than those jerks and you know it.

spend a couple weeks building some really cheap rockets. what's your weakness, maybe finishing? work on that for a few days... great therapy and way cheaper than a shrink or AA group!!

Thanks Cliff:)

I actually received my Fliskits Tres in the mail today and I did a little work on it tonight. That made me feel a bit better.

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
Man, this has been a crazy week and I just happened to lose my job today due to my supervisor spreading untrue statements to my office manager about my job performance:mad: :mad: :kill: .

IMO, that's the kind of job one is better off without. Had one. That happened. Went back to school. They're still fixing office equipment, but now they can call me "doctor". Doing well is the best revenge.

just show them up man. Here is an idea, if you even want the job back you could try it;

Tell your manager that you think the statements are untrue, and if given another chance you can prove that he was mistaken. I dont know if this is worth the effort though, it imght not be. Good luck finding a new job, I have picked up 2 since i got fired.

Thanks for the support guys. It is so much appreciated during these frusturating times.:)

Ryan S. Thanks for your support but I do not plan on going back there because as cls stated, they are real jerks that don't know how to properly run a business.:rolleyes:

I'm movin' on:D

Don, the Tres willl keep you off the streets for a while - enjoy the building!

I've seen three fly, and they all exhibit the same thing: they start corkscrewing at some certain speed. one fellow's does it really bad, right at launch; mine does it a little, consistently at maxq (3x C6-5s) right before burnout; another one does it about half way through boost. I have no idea why it happens.

I have always believed that things happen for a reason. One of the worst jobs I ever had was actually the most informative because I learned how NOT to run a business! The three stooges had nothing on the "idiot" husband and wife team I worked for.
Keep your head up and remember the song "Don't worry...Fly rockets...err build rockets or something like that!:D

Lamar

Brain food: You have a piece of paper. I have experience!
Coin flip: you want heads? OK ...Tails I win, Heads you lose!
:D

Shoot those reumes out there! Or take a break if you are so inclined....

That kind of stuff, is oh, so typical in today's corporate world. But you never know what is just around the corner. I spent ten years being, yet, not being appreciated in broadcasting, being an engineer for at first two, and eventually ten stations with building projects on top of it. Problem is sometimes one does the job so well that in your situation, sometimes others get jealous, or make things difficult for you. One does not need that. Got tired of 16 hour days seven days a week. Only so far you can go no matter how valuable you are. There comes a time when you have to know what is more important....family and those you love and your own health, or just some job and all that comes with it. I started looking and fortunately the answer came really fast. Family, making a difference, time, and preserving my health. Sometimes you even have to swallow a little bit of pride.

People out there want experts, and have a hard time finding them. I decided to just go for what I enjoyed and believe it or not I am a card-carrying Girl Scout now, having been hired to do what I love, and that was the tech stuff I never seemed to ever be appreciated for in the card-carrying world of radio. Now I am a miracle worker. Radical change, but no pager, and the best part, I am making a difference! Tech Manager is a whole world of difference from the thunderstorm-on-call-pager-work-24/7-build-new-sites-move-facilities-and-put-up-with-the nonsense-type-office-politics etc, and so and so....

Sometimes these things happen for a reason, and really, if it does, just look at it not as a setback, but as a brand new opprtunity. And the rewards in a new position sometimes and very often outweigh those in the old. I even have time now to devote to a love (a small rocketry business) that I started six years ago, and until now could not do because of the demands of previous full-time commitments. After four years of a job taking TOO much (among other setbacks) I finally have time to devote to a love again.

Point is, enjoy what time you have now, build some rockets, take whatever gives you pleasure as therapy, bit*h in the closet if you have to, but look at everything as a new opportunity!

And **** am I jealous you have time to build a rocket! :)

I wish the best of luck! Take some time, build a kick-butt rocket, and do not worry, cuz that will kill you!
Dave

Don

We've most all been there. Sometimes it's easier to get fired than quit a job that bites. Happened to me at a job in a company I worked at for 9 years. 5 years later I have a truly challenging job that pays almost 5 times as much, and I have the absolute respect of some of the smartest people I have ever known.

Remember every for door that closes another one opens.

A

Sorry to hear about getting the ax, but it sounds like you will be better off in the end......... good people will always prevail!!!!!! Keep you head high and keep building rockets...........

Hopefully the economic upswing will facilitate you getting another gig quickly. Good luck!

Don,

Almost every time I look something up on EMRR there's a great review by YOU!

You're Rocketry's Roger Ebert. Anything you've given a thumbs up to, I've liked.

I don't know what your day job used to be, but I can tell you what your future one SHOULD be...

in house tester for a rocketry company. :p

Let me know if you need a letter of reference! (Your outstanding portfolio is already on public display) :)

Gus

Hey Gus

Thank you so much for that reply, it meant so much to me.:D

I used to work at a local animal clinic for about $7.00 an hour but it was able to get me the HPR motors that we all know and love.

You're right, that would be my dream job and I'd like to start my own company like guys like Jim Flis of Fliskits have done and if you'd like to give a letter of reccommendation, you may gladly do so.

Thank you Gus, you made my day:)

You're welcome Don.

I've never met you, but I feel like I know you pretty well from having read so many of your reviews and flight reports on EMRR.

I hope you won't be too embarassed if I let others in on what I'm talking about.

Don is a Featured reviewer on EMRR. To date, he's written 23 full review articles and posted flight reports on 154 different rockets he's built and flown (see the amazing list below).

Not only has he built and flown an astounding number of rockets, but he's exceptionally gifted at communicating their strengths and weaknesses as well. Just read any of his reviews on EMRR to see for yourself.

For those of you looking for beta-testers for your latest design, this is your guy.

For those of you looking to fill even better rocketry jobs, this kid is an untapped goldmine of rocketry experience, passion, and communications ability.

Like I said above, I've never met Don, I'm not related to him, and I don't have any vested interest in his well-being. It's just that I'm amazed at what he's already done and contributed to the rocketry community in his "spare time". Imagine what he could do if it was actually his job. :D

I hear he's available. ;)

Here's a partial list of the rockets Don has built, flown, and written about on EMRR:

# Aerotech Aerospace - Arreaux
# Aerotech Aerospace - Barracuda
# Aerotech Aerospace - Cheetah
# Aerotech Aerospace - G-Force
# Aerotech Aerospace - HV ARCAS
# Aerotech Aerospace - Mirage
# Aerotech Aerospace - Mustang
# Aerotech Aerospace - Strong ARM
# Art Applewhite Rockets - Cone Rocket 13mm
# Art Applewhite Rockets - Delta Flying Saucer 24mm (6
# Art Applewhite Rockets - Qubit Series 18mm
# Art Applewhite Rockets - Stealth 24mm
# BSD High Power Rocketry - Sprint
# Custom Rockets - Aztec
# Custom Rockets - Fiesta
# Custom Rockets - Freedom
# Custom Rockets - Galileo Probe
# Custom Rockets - Ion Pulsar
# Custom Rockets - Razor
# Custom Rockets - SAM-X
# Custom Rockets - TriStar
# Cycline3 - 004 -Poison Arrow
# Estes Industries - A.R.V. Condor
# Estes Industries - AGM-57X Heat Seeker
# Estes Industries - Alpha III
# Estes Industries - BLU-97B Cluster Bomb
# Estes Industries - Baby Bertha
# Estes Industries - Banshee
# Estes Industries - Big Bertha
# Estes Industries - Big Daddy
# Estes Industries - Black Brant II
# Estes Industries - Blue Ninja
# Estes Industries - Blurzz Rocket Race Car
# Estes Industries - CC Express
# Estes Industries - Chrome Dome
# Estes Industries - Code Red (RTF)
# Estes Industries - Comanche-3
# Estes Industries - Cruise Missile (RTF)
# Estes Industries - Deluxe Super Shot - Screw Machine
# Estes Industries - Echostar
# Estes Industries - Eliminator
# Estes Industries - Enduring Freedom Patriot M104
# Estes Industries - Executioner
# Estes Industries - Exoskell
# Estes Industries - Fat Boy
# Estes Industries - Fire Streak
# Estes Industries - Fireflash
# Estes Industries - Flash
# Estes Industries - GBU-24 Paveway III
# Estes Industries - Gemini DC
# Estes Industries - Guardian
# Estes Industries - Loadstar
# Estes Industries - MaxTrax
# Estes Industries - Maxi Alpha 3
# Estes Industries - Mean Machine
# Estes Industries - Menace
# Estes Industries - Mercury Redstone
# Estes Industries - Meteor Masher
# Estes Industries - Mini Freaky Flyer
# Estes Industries - Mini Marz Lander (RTF)
# Estes Industries - Mini Meanie
# Estes Industries - No. 2 Estes Sky Writer
# Estes Industries - Phoenix
# Estes Industries - Polaris
# Estes Industries - Python-4 ASRAAM
# Estes Industries - Quark
# Estes Industries - Renegade
# Estes Industries - SM-3 Seahawk
# Estes Industries - Screamin' Mimi
# Estes Industries - Shuttle Xpress
# Estes Industries - Sizzler (2171)
# Estes Industries - Skywinder
# Estes Industries - Snitch (RTF)
# Estes Industries - Star Dart
# Estes Industries - Stars and Stripes
# Estes Industries - Stormcaster
# Estes Industries - Super Nova Payloader
# Estes Industries - Super Shot - Military
# Estes Industries - Super Shot Mini
# Estes Industries - Swift 220
# Estes Industries - Tidal Wave (RTF)
# Estes Industries - TransWing
# Estes Industries - V-2 (Limited Edition)
# Estes Industries - Viking
# Estes Industries - Wacky Wiggler
# FlisKits - Deuce's Wild
# FlisKits - Richter Recker
# LOC/Precision - Stovi
# Launch Pad (The) - Folgore
# Public Missiles (PML) - Explorer
# Public Missiles (PML) - Matrix
# Public Missiles (PML) - Small Endeavour
# Quest Aerospace - Big Rage
# Quest Aerospace - Courier
# Quest Aerospace - Micro Maxx Series
# Quest Aerospace - Pip Squeak
# RocketHead Rockets - Battle Axe
# Rockethead Rockets - Battle Axe
# Squirrel Works - Red Baron
# Yank Enterprises (LOC) - Wraith
# OOP - Custom Rockets - Satellite Drone
# OOP - Custom Rockets - Serval
# OOP - Estes Industries - AIM-9 Sidewinder
# OOP - Estes Industries - AMRAAM AIM-120
# OOP - Estes Industries - Bail-Out
# OOP - Estes Industries - Big Dawg
# OOP - Estes Industries - CATO
# OOP - Estes Industries - Corkscrew
# OOP - Estes Industries - Hijax
# OOP - Estes Industries - HyperX (RTF)
# OOP - Estes Industries - Jinx (RTF)
# OOP - Estes Industries - Manta
# OOP - Estes Industries - Moondog (RTF)
# OOP - Estes Industries - Ninja
# OOP - Estes Industries - Omloid
# OOP - Estes Industries - Pro Series Impulse
# OOP - Estes Industries - Prowler
# OOP - Estes Industries - Python
# OOP - Estes Industries - RediRoc Intruder
# OOP - Estes Industries - Silver Comet
# OOP - Estes Industries - Star Rider
# OOP - Estes Industries - Star Wars Death Star
# OOP - Estes Industries - Star Wars R2-D2
# OOP - Estes Industries - Star Wars X-Wing (mini) (RTF)
# OOP - Estes Industries - Super Big Bertha
# OOP - Estes Industries - Yellow Jacket
# Scratch - Giant Mosquito
# Scratch - Night Hawk
# (Scratch) Minature Endeavour
# Art Applewhite Rockets - Scimitar 24mm
# Art Applewhite Rockets - Stealth 13mm
# Binder Design - Stealth
# Estes Meteor
# Estes Industries - Hi-Flyer
# Estes Industries - Orbital Transport (Limited Edition)
# Estes Industries - Outlander
# Estes Maxi Honest John
# Estes Maxi V-2 Reissue
# Estes Polaris
# Estes R2D2 (mini)
# Estes Raider [RediRoc]
# Estes Star Wars Naboo Royal Starship (large)
# Estes Star Wars Trade Federation Battleship
# Estes Star Wars Trade Federation Fighter
# Neon Night Rider
# OOP - Estes Industries - Rain Maker
# Red Gazelle
# RocketHead Rockets - Blink Family [Baby]
# RocketHead Rockets - Blink Family [Mama]
# RocketHead Rockets - Blink Family [Papa]
# Scratch - Bomb Pop
# Scratch [Eagle]
# Sharpshooter
# The Incredible Shrunken Rage

Bummer on the job, but there are better days ahead.

Each time i've lost a job (either being terminated, laid off or quit), the result was a better job, better pay and more pride.

Look at it as a "step in the right direction" :) and good luck!

Can't help with the job, but after that resume, you are on my list for beta-testing!

Best of luck, and hang in there!

Dave

Back