Lost Estes Payloader #1760

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukemmcssret

Reaction score
:( While at my club's (NEFAR NAR 563, TRA 35), June Half Blast at Clegg Sod Farm near Bunnell FL, I lost an Estes Payload 2 stage rocket. Not the first one I might add!! Any way it was flying on an Estes C6-0-C6-5. It launched straight up, but around 100 - 150ft it started to veer horizontal and when the second stage ignited. The Sustainer took off like a raped ape only going sideways. Man what a bummer. It looked like I drove a golf ball and watched it go out of sight. It was a bright sunny clear day and nobody even saw where it went or if the parachute deployed. I think the sustainer motor blew out the back. I had that happen two months ago with another pay loader. I even taped the motor in the sustainer to a very tight friction fit. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I swore at the field I would never fly one again. But I just want to fly it once and have a successful flight. Problem is I cannot find one. So far I have around $40.00 USD in losses. Am I a glutton for punishment or what? Any advice or comment would be appreciated. :cheers: Nukemmcssret

Which direction did it go? I usually find odds and ends when I go out there. I plan to be there in July. Hopefully it didn't head towards the Birdman.

Which direction did it go? I usually find odds and ends when I go out there. I plan to be there in July. Hopefully it didn't head towards the Birdman.

It headed north east, towards the building that is to the left of the launch field. The booster lit off right over the tents. So how far would a C6-5 go horizontally? 1000 ft? Plus the five second delay. If you find it thanks. :)

I'll keep an eye out for it as well. I lost a booster off a Comanche III at NEFAR once. Three months later, it showed up on the Lost and Found table!

What color was your Payloader?

I liked the clarification of the "raped ape" part of the original post :cheers:

It headed north east, towards the building that is to the left of the launch field. The booster lit off right over the tents. So how far would a C6-5 go horizontally? 1000 ft? Plus the five second delay. If you find it thanks. :)

Whoa! That's going to be a LONG walk. In the heat. I better get there early.

Whoa! That's going to be a LONG walk. In the heat. I better get there early.

When do you think you are going tp be there? I appreciate you looking for it. Bring an umbrella. If I am rigth it passed to the left of that building by 2 - 3 degrees. so probaly NNE in direction. Thanks again.

I usually try to be there to help set up pads, so 9:00 am ish. I'm not actually a NEFAR member so I try to do a little for the club. I work a swing shift so I get home around 12:30 am unless a nurse orders a bilateral leg series (33 images) when a patient bumps their knee (3 images) at 11:00 pm.

Back