Lost Estes Blue Ninja

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Pete

Reaction score
On it's fourth flight on a D12-7 which is a perfect motor for this rocket, I landed over the top of a street lamp. With the nylon shoot stuck. errr Great flight too. heh... I took a hockey stick, two launch rods and an eight foot piece of 1/2 round molding duck taped together and still couldn't get it. So... I had to replace it and bought a Launch Pad Hawk that was on sale for $20 at my local hobby store.

Pete

If ya have a blowgun you can probably tie a length of fishing line on the skirt of the dart, then shoot it up through the parachute. It may get it, it may not.

That really stinks. I love the blue Ninja. One of my favorites for its incredible flights on an E9 ;) ;) :(

I drove back over to the field and it blew down undamaged. I was happy to get it back! Tomorrow is suppose to be really nice and I have two more D12-7's for that Rocket.

Pete

Originally posted by Capt Pete
I drove back over to the field and it blew down undamaged. I was happy to get it back! Tomorrow is suppose to be really nice and I have two more D12-7's for that Rocket.

Pete

the blue ninja is a great flier... we had a mass blue ninja launch at our last club launch... I think we had 9 fliers all on d12-5's hooked to one launch button...

impressive to say the least. one of the guys got some photos...

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
If ya have a blowgun you can probably tie a length of fishing line on the skirt of the dart, then shoot it up through the parachute. It may get it, it may not.

psssh a blowgun is much more effective as a paint wand to hold the rocket as you paint that as a recovery system. trust me i've tried both. my blowgun has been decomissioned and is now a full time paint wand

Does anyone know the alt of a Blue Ninja on a E9-6? I have a few of these motors and the sky has just turned into a glorious blue :D
Karl

I am not sure of the altitude, but it is pretty high. For one thing, if you are going to launch, take the chute off and use nose blow. One cool thing is that the body tube glimmers in the sky, so it is easy to track.

have any of you guys used AT motors in the Blue Ninja?
If I had a Blue Ninja I'd put a E30 in it:)

Nose-blow recovery is the simplest form of rocket recovery - basically you just build the rocket as you would normally, but no chute or streamer.

At ejection, the nose cone blows off and is attached by the shock cord. The rocket's drag is increased considerably, so instead of lawn darting nose first, it just kind of tumbles down.

However, it falls considerably faster than it would with a chute or streamer. If you are launching on a soft surface field with nice grass, most models can survive a nose-blow landing, although you better hope your fins are glued on pretty firmly. If you land on pavement or hard ground, you're probably gonna get dinged up.

For flying light rockets on breezy days on soft grassy fields, nose-blow recovery works pretty well. However, if your rocket is dark colored, it can be hard to find when it lands - a bright shiny chute or streamer helps in that department too.

Anyway, that's the lowdown.

Well my Blue Ninja has nice big Poly Cement fillets so I think she will hold up :) Ohh No!! A large black cloud just apeard out of no where! British weather for ya' ! :rolleyes:
Karl

Capt Pete, I'm glad you got yours back. My last BN (actually, my son's) has been hanging from the top branches of a big tree, about a block away from his school. It has been up there about five or six months now, from a school lauch we did last spring. We had a bunch of little rockets that the class had made and managed to get back just about all of them, but my son insisted on flying his BN too.

I knew we shouldn't have launched it that day . . .

Back