Lord Kinbote

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dotini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Lord Kinbote
r/XFiles - The X-Files S320 - Jose Chung's From Outer Space - Is this the trippiest episode ever?

Lord Kinbote comes from inner Earth to save mankind from aliens and maybe itself.

Well, that was in the X-Files. Here in the realm of model rocketry, Lord Kinbote begins as a chunk of balsa destined to be subject to the terrible heat, fire and incandescent particles from the ejection event of a 24mm rocket engine.

DSC00328.jpg
Drilled balsa transition is required to flow ejection gases and particles. Seen here drying after treatment with Minwax Wood Hardener. This piece will receive additional thermal protection as well as filling, sanding and painting of external surfaces.

These are the fins and fin root t-section extrusions. Fins are sawn from Lexan angle stock commonly marketed as an edge guard. I bought 4' of it from Lowe's for less than the price of a Sausage and Egg McMuffin.

The parts are deburred and cleaned with alcohol prior to joining with CA.
DSC00329.jpg
The fins are of 0.055" thickness, so trailing and leading edges could stand to be rounded

@teepot
The livery of this rocket will be my homage to Jose Chung's from Outer Space.

Excited to see where this goes. Jose Chung's from Outer Space, is one of my favorites

Abraded and applied primer to inside of fins only. Most of the coloring will come by means of Sharpie.
Meanwhile, balsa parts are being filled prior to sanding and white primer.
DSC00332.jpg
Fin configuration to be of the broken (or open) box arrangement.

Edit:
The Lord Kinbote project is on temporary hold pending arrival of a special graphics package.

Last edited:
Back