LoRa vs. Xbee

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CameronMakesRockets

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am thinking of getting into radio telemetry and I am wondering which one to get. I have heard good things about LoRa and Xbee radios but I was hoping to get a bit more about the pros and cons to each of them.

If you have experience with either of them, please let me know about it and how difficult it was to get them up and running.

Thanks!

I've never had any success with xbee anything. I've never tried Lora, but it's gotta work better than nothing.

XBee Pro XSC 900 works fine at 9600 baud and ranges of a few miles. Most Lora devices have a SPI interface, so you'll need some kind of processor to interface unless you have a native SPI already. Not sure what range you can expect with Lora, there's a lot of variability.

I use these Ebyte LoRa modules in all my stuff. Very inexpensive from China. Not exactly for beginners, but not too complicated either. UART serial interface. I use them in the simplest way possible, which is as a dumb wireless serial link. I set them up for 1200 baud and transmit a "minimal" string of data every second. At 1200 baud every character counts. The larger module can output up to 1W, which is usually massive overkill. These are just transceivers - you would need to build an entire TX and RX system around them. I haven't looked, but I'm guessing somebody has posted something on GitHub using these with Arduino.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...!sea!US!1931567835&curPageLogUid=PEzkicmej79z
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...!sea!US!1931567835&curPageLogUid=6ys7qM3vxmGj
Here's an image of one of the modules in an altimeter bay. The stubby 900MHz antenna is sticking out of the bulkhead on the right.

1680861387884.png

Last edited:
Looks nice! What's the range on these radios? What have you been able to get with it?
Range is a tricky thing, since there are many factors that effect range besides milliwatts of raw RF power. But as a general rule, at 100mW of RF power and a LoRa baud rate of 1200, these radios have no problem staying connected at >30K altitude.

I've used XBee in BRB 900MHz trackers, I'm not a fan of FHSS. If you have any issue with the GPS data you can't easily fall back on RDFing the unit. To my knowledge you don't have to use FHSS with LoRa.

Here at Wilson F/X, we love the 900hp Xbee's, but ......our applications....... uh...aren't normally supposed to be moving. LOL If they are moving then there's usually something else going on.

Brad

The Featherweight GPS trackers use LoRa telemetry and I have a couple of them. They work very well.
I have also used several 900 MHz XBees in static telemetry applications and they are very reliable and relatively easy to program for basic applications.

900hp Xbee's, but ......our applications....... uh...aren't normally supposed to be moving

I have also used several 900 MHz XBees in static telemetry applications and they are very reliable and relatively easy to program for basic applications.
From what I gather from these quotes is that XBee's are great if the radios are not moving relative to each other? Is that correct for your experience?

From what I gather from these quotes is that XBee's are great if the radios are not moving relative to each other? Is that correct for your experience?
Not at all! It’s just that the applications using the XBees in this case are wireless launch control systems. As John alluded to above, if you’ve got the link budget, it doesn’t matter whether it’s moving or static.

Here at Wilson F/X we do have some experience with the 900hp units in a moving vehicle. We were testing the range while I was driving away from my partner. He had the pad-box stationary and I was driving with the controller powered and the bank/pad selected. the units maintained constant contact till I got to a low spot in the road and lost line of sight. I reacquired full signal after another 100 yards or so. We were in constant cell phone conversation too. We had full contact out past 2 miles here in the mid-west. We eventually lost line of sight due to too many hills, but it gave us the info we needed.

I did the same on my own out at Black Rock at the last LDRS that was there, and kept a working signal out to 1.1 miles and fired a "significant" ejection charge just to make sure I had not only a return signal but a working connection. As ought to be obvious, this was all on the ground, but it was also full communications both ways from controller to pad-box and from pad-box to controller. In very much layman's terms the two-way communications looks like this: full normal automatic call from the controller for selected specific bank/pad continuity, response from the specific bank/pad-box of continuity status. Then (after deselect of the pad) a specific order from the controller for a report of the voltage at the pad-box and a report of voltage from the pad-box. Followed by (reselect of the pad) stand-by continuity signal and standby continuity report back from the pad-box, command from the controller to fire, response of pad-box by firing that specific pad-box, (release of the "fire" button) followed by automatic report of "after-fire" continuity by the pad-box, and reception of the report of after-fire continuity from the pad at the controller. Followed by deselection of the specific bank/pad switches which disarms that bank of pads.

Now whatever else you might think, that's a lot of encrypted information to be passing back and forth between the controller and the pad-box, but its pretty much standard except for the voltage reading which is only done if you specifically request it. So, XBee's can handle a great deal of info in a very short amount of time.

With a custom WFX hybrid control system we've sent reports of the "pre-fill" weight of the rocket and the "post-fill" weight of the rocket in order to determine the amount of NO2 that is actually loaded into the rocket. And with this same system we can also report the temperature of the gas at the motor "vent" to also determine when the rocket's NO2 tank is full because when the tank is full it starts venting liquid NO2 which is a bit colder than merely venting NO2 gas. We did this last one because in some environmental conditions its almost impossible to "see" the venting of the NO2 from a full on-board NO2 tank.

So, like I said, XBee units can transmit a great deal of information back and forth, even encrypted.

I am not making any claims about using XBee units in flight. We haven't done that. At least not yet. LOL!

Brad

Back