3D Printing Looking to buy a Prusa i3 MK3S+

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WooHoo, my printer shipped yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive. I have read the assembly manual 6 times. I am ready to build this bad boy.

What size nozzle is everyone running?

The current Prusa-direct price for the Prusa i3 Mk3S+ is $799, with shipping by DSL another $48.76 to California. Prusa’s website says the US duty threshold is $800, with duty on $800 running $50.00. Does anyone know if the duty is calculated on the machine price, or would the shipping also be used in calculating the threshold?

The cost of the same kit on Amazon is $949. Amazon says it’s sold directly by Prusa, I can get it in two days, and pay the Great State of California some $68 and change in sales tax. I presume the Amazon price has the duty factored in (shipping is “free”).

It seems to me that Prusa’s price is designed to skirt the duty threshold. If you dont order any other stuff at the same time, would not this be a duty-free transaction? And no sales tax, of course. So the Prusa total would be $847.76 out the door, compared to Amazon at $1,017. And with DHL from Prusa, it’s only 4-5 days shipping time.

Anyone have better details on the duty issue for a base Prusa kit with no add-ons?Purchasing through Prusa seems like a way better deal.

I thought you don't mess with Prusa's? That's why you pay extra.....
Bwahaaaaa....you just fell for the 3D printing trap! You don't "need" to mess with a Prusa. But once you start printing....you want more!

Last edited:
The current Prusa-direct price for the Prusa i3 Mk3S+ is $799, with shipping by DSL another $48.76 to California. Prusa’s website says the US duty threshold is $800, with duty on $800 running $50.00. Does anyone know if the duty is calculated on the machine price, or would the shipping also be used in calculating the threshold?

The cost of the same kit on Amazon is $949. Amazon says it’s sold directly by Prusa, I can get it in two days, and pay the Great State of California some $68 and change in sales tax. I presume the Amazon price has the duty factored in (shipping is “free”).

It seems to me that Prusa’s price is designed to skirt the duty threshold. If you dont order any other stuff at the same time, would not this be a duty-free transaction? And no sales tax, of course. So the Prusa total would be $847.76 out the door, compared to Amazon at $1,017. And with DHL from Prusa, it’s only 4-5 days shipping time.

Anyone have better details on the duty issue for a base Prusa kit with no add-ons?Purchasing through Prusa seems like a way better deal.

It is reportedly on the machine's cost.

Good video - convinced me to try my .06 mm hardened steel nozzle! I do see a lot of advantages.
I have tested all the way up to 0.8mm. If you are printing an item that does not need detail, both a 0.8 will print it much faster, and you will not see a different. I print large nose cones with them all the time.

It is starting to get all "sky net" and what not .... I used my Prusa to print parts for my new resin printer...pretty soon they will be doing it on their own! 😏

Getting closer. It is being shipped 3 packages. I got one today, the extra nozzles came. One box is in TN and one is in Denmark. I think the printer is in TN by the weight of the box. The cabinet is stuck in Denmark.

All together and calibrated. Doing a test print of the tree frog that comes on the memory card.

C64DE9D0-EAEC-469A-B011-BF1FF32DBF9B.jpeg

All together and calibrated. Doing a test print of the tree frog that comes on the memory card.

View attachment 564922
I'm so excited for you! Mine works fantastic and it's been the easiest thing to use. Where you're already set up for production and have CAD experience and laser cutting capabilities this is just another great tool at your disposal. AV bays, rail guides...
Ken

# hours 16 minutes - that's a fast print for that size - nicely done!
The coupler part takes 4 h 10m. The new cone design takes 5h 32m and the coupler plug takes 1h 12m. Starting to see why I am going to need more than one printer. Looks like I will be spending my bonus on at least one more if not two.

The coupler part takes 4 h 10m. The new cone design takes 5h 32m and the coupler plug takes 1h 12m. Starting to see why I am going to need more than one printer. Looks like I will be spending my bonus on at least one more if not two.

Now you see why I have 15 with the 16th pending.

Back