Looking for wider spray pattern airbrush or super small spray gun

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc_G

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've got a Paasche H airbrush and love it, but even with the largest tip (H5), the area covered by the spray is much smaller than say a regular spray paint can. So, it takes lots of passes to paint a BT-60 rocket with big ol' fins.

Is there an airbrush that has a higher paint flow / wider pattern, or a really small paint gun, that would get me a wider spray pattern closer to what we get from paint spray cans. Doesn't need to be quite that big, just a bit bigger than the centimeter-or-so pattern I get with the H5.

I'm still looking for something with a smallish paint cup... maybe a 1 oz cup instead of the 1/4 oz cup I have with the Paasche H.

To be clear, I enjoy using the airbrush, just looking for a tool more appropriate to large areas. The right tool for the right job.

If it matters, I use CO2 from a 20lb tank, and have a regulator that can get my pressure pretty much anywhere it needs to be.

Thanks!

Marc

You might try to get one of those cheapy "external mix" airbrushes... TSC had them last year at Christmastime cheap and I'm pretty sure Harbor Freight has them too... check online. I picked up one just because it was only $9... at that price I can afford to experiment... :)

The other possibility is a 'detail gun'... Harbor Freight has those cheap too... posted a link about it in another thread... it's a small painting gun with a top-mounted trigger, sorta like an airbrush, but way bigger with about a pint-size cup... being bigger, it'll use more air, though... but it should make painting a LOT faster because it'll have a WAY bigger paint pattern than the airbrush... more like a spray paint can...

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

https://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/ieclipse.aspx#IWA4331

Iwata G3 and G5 are miniature spray guns, very high quality automotive guns...just what you need.

Yeah, but $400 bucks?? Really??

Here ya go... something more reasonable... (don't get me wrong... the $400 gun is fine if you're doing multi-thousand dollar paint jobs on exotic or collector cars with paints costing a thousand bucks a gallon... )

https://www.harborfreight.com/touch-up-air-spray-gun-66871.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...+Tools////Paint&RequestData=CA_CategoryExpand

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

Thanks guys!

:ROFL: about the >$400 one! Out of my price range, by an order of magnitude.

The Harbor Frieght article looks like the ticket. They actually have a slightly smaller one than the 6.75 OZ one listed, that is a 4 oz gun. That's probably right in my alley in terms of paint capacity, spray cone size, etc..

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

Of course then I've got to make some fittings to make it so I don't have to unhook one when I use the other... but I think it looks like a low risk thing. The 4 oz one is $12.99. I can afford to take the risk.

Marc

That 6.75 oz one is like what I use all the time. I'm gonna get 2-3 @ $10. Use one for primer only and the other for paint, and then a spare for when neither of the other two will work right cause I didn'tclean it good enough. Do they have gravity feed models that cheap?

I really like the 4oz model. It would be great for detail work.

I bought the 4 oz one today. Since I use acrylic (water-based) paints, typically I use something like an ounce or so for the size of model I'm talking about here (base coat or rocket mostly one color-- would use detail air brush with small cup for smaller areas). The 4 oz cup is still REALLY BIG compared to what I'm used to but I'll give the spray gun a shot. While at HF today I got a quick disconnect multiple-tool nozzle and some fittings, and am heading down now to see about putting it all together.

Last night I got the spray gun connected (a bit of a job, since I got a 3 port quick disconnect manifold for my brushes and had some leaks to track down).

Eventually I got to painting with it using Auto Air Sealer White. I chose this paint because it would be a good primer for the color coat to come, and because I have a fair amount of it so I can afford to waste a bit of it in learning.

Bottom line was I did the booster first, and the gun worked great straight out of the chute. But, by the end of the booster, not much paint was coming out, just a lot of air. Huh? I figured maybe I should have thinned the stuff slightly, even though this isn't always necessary with bigger nozzles (the gun comes with a 0.6 mm). So I cleaned stuff out and thinned the paint down a bit. Still not much came out, and I realized I had plugged the nozzle. I figured out how to get it off (with supplied wrench) and clean it out. Then the paint finally came out OK, though I had thinned too much and it was a bit runny/orange peely due to surface tension effects on the smooth sanded lacquer based filler primer. I dumped the paint back out into a container (wasting much of it due to large surface area of the 4 0z cup). Added more straight sealer so the thinner would be diluted away. This time it all worked out fine and I got the sustainer primed.

Aeresolization was fine and coverage was great... the spray pattern is MUCH larger than the airbrush, actually a bit too large for my tastes, but I still have to learn a bit about the fluid and air controls. I was spraying at about 35 PSI for the gun inlet BTW, using CO2 from my tank.

In summary, I like the gun for bigger jobs. PAint sure goes on fast and smooth.

I'll post pictures tonight if possible.

Marc

Last night I got the spray gun connected (a bit of a job, since I got a 3 port quick disconnect manifold for my brushes and had some leaks to track down).

Eventually I got to painting with it using Auto Air Sealer White. I chose this paint because it would be a good primer for the color coat to come, and because I have a fair amount of it so I can afford to waste a bit of it in learning.

Bottom line was I did the booster first, and the gun worked great straight out of the chute. But, by the end of the booster, not much paint was coming out, just a lot of air. Huh? I figured maybe I should have thinned the stuff slightly, even though this isn't always necessary with bigger nozzles (the gun comes with a 0.6 mm). So I cleaned stuff out and thinned the paint down a bit. Still not much came out, and I realized I had plugged the nozzle. I figured out how to get it off (with supplied wrench) and clean it out. Then the paint finally came out OK, though I had thinned too much and it was a bit runny/orange peely due to surface tension effects on the smooth sanded lacquer based filler primer. I dumped the paint back out into a container (wasting much of it due to large surface area of the 4 0z cup). Added more straight sealer so the thinner would be diluted away. This time it all worked out fine and I got the sustainer primed.

Aeresolization was fine and coverage was great... the spray pattern is MUCH larger than the airbrush, actually a bit too large for my tastes, but I still have to learn a bit about the fluid and air controls. I was spraying at about 35 PSI for the gun inlet BTW, using CO2 from my tank.

In summary, I like the gun for bigger jobs. PAint sure goes on fast and smooth.

I'll post pictures tonight if possible.

Marc

Glad to hear it...

Try to dial down the air pressure a bit... although don't dial it down too much-- air pressure has a lot to do with atomization (how fine the droplets are) but it also has a secondary effect as to the width of the spray pattern.

There's usually a knob on the back of the gun that controls the pattern width... it controls how much air blows out of the "horns" on the cap-- which is what determines the spray pattern width. Less air means a narrower, more cone-shaped pattern.

Paint volume is usually controlled by a knob on the back that controls how far back the needle can go from the seat when the trigger is depressed. The less the needle opens, the less paint comes out.

It's often helpful to strain your paint... body shops usually have some little disposable paper funnels with a mesh strip glued over the end... this elminates any "paint skin" or lumps from inside the can getting into the gun and clogging up the works. If you don't have these, old pantyhose works good for straining paint as well.

If the gun clogs up, just take the cup off, use an old paper cup with some solvent in it, and run that through the gun until it clears... once it's spraying solvent freely, then replace the cup and go back to painting.

Yep, the larger the cup, the more paint you "waste". Just part of it... You'll get the hang of minimizing the waste with some practice... cleaning the cup and pouring the paint back in the can, washing everything and cleaning the gun THOROUGHLY (when you think you've cleaned it enough, CLEAN IT AGAIN! I usually disassemble my guns in a bucket of diesel fuel, brush all the parts clean, invert the gun and fill the tube with diesel and depress the trigger-- this allows diesel to dribble out the needle and seat and flush away thick paint... it also clears the air passages of any paint that might have gotten "backed up" in there as well... put some diesel in the cup and spray that out a time or two, working the needle and trigger multiple times to clear the seals, the needle, and the seat of any gummed up paint... then wash the gun with some mineral spririts and wash the cup out with mineral spirits to get rid of the diesel, put a little mineral spirits in the cup, and spray that out, working the needle multiple times again, to wash out all the diesel from the seals and parts... Fill the air fitting with mineral spirits and blow that out as well, working the trigger several times to get rid of any diesel and paint in the air passages. Clean the gun off with a clean rag or paper shop towel, dry the cup out thoroughly, take the cap off and dry it out thoroughly, and then put the gun back together and store it ON ITS SIDE in the box... This will prevent any paint crud that might be hiding anywhere inside the gun's passages from clogging them up (usually). I've got guns that are 20 years old and still work just fine from using this cleaning procedure... remember, you can't get them TOO CLEAN, but if you leave even a little bit of paint inside the gun somewhere in a bad spot, you can easily ruin the thing permanently.

Good luck and hope this helps!
Later! OL JR :)

Hi JR and group-

Good advice about straining (works great when I use old latex paint or the like). But, in my case I'm using an ounce or at most two of water based acrylics, so straining would likely result in losing so much of it that it wouldn't be practical. And, since I'm using water based paints inside to avoid solvent fumes, cleaning with diesel fuel or mineral spirits are out! :grin:

Anyway, tonight's efforts went much more smoothly. It was time to color coat (using Wicked Colors "golden yellow" color). This color is a little thick (not as thick as the sealer white) but I dribbled some into the cup to see if it would flow. It didn't come out initially, so I thinned some very slightly and poured it in. It came out fine. I dialed down the air dial at the air inlet point. It has a sharp cutoff, I've found, but I found a combo of air and fluid volume that seems to work. First spray on the rocket showed the thinning was probably too much. I put in some more unthinned paint and mixed it around. Keep in mind, I'm dealing with small amounts of paint in a huge cup. It's a bit hard. But not too bad. My initial problem was probably not enough paint in to get sucked through. Once primed, no problem with the unthinned paint.

I was able to quickly paint the whole rocket in minutes and it came out OK. The paint is a little blotchy as I was still dealing with thinning / coverage / air-liquid mix issues. I should put another coat on it, but I'm not going to worry about it. The biggest issue is I REALLY should have put another layer of white primer on before the yellow; the gray shows through a little bit as a greenish cast, and I know from my experience that another coat of yellow won't make it go away. Though it sounds bad, what the eye will see when this is done is the contrast between the black canard fins and decals versus the golden yellow main rocket. Some imperfections in the yellow won't show strongly, I think.

What I really want to do is find a way to replace the cup with a smaller one that just holds an ounce or two with less waste. The current cup connects by what looks like a standard quarter inch set of threads; it should be doable to craft something to do it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Marc

Hi JR and group-

Good advice about straining (works great when I use old latex paint or the like). But, in my case I'm using an ounce or at most two of water based acrylics, so straining would likely result in losing so much of it that it wouldn't be practical. And, since I'm using water based paints inside to avoid solvent fumes, cleaning with diesel fuel or mineral spirits are out! :grin:

Anyway, tonight's efforts went much more smoothly. It was time to color coat (using Wicked Colors "golden yellow" color). This color is a little thick (not as thick as the sealer white) but I dribbled some into the cup to see if it would flow. It didn't come out initially, so I thinned some very slightly and poured it in. It came out fine. I dialed down the air dial at the air inlet point. It has a sharp cutoff, I've found, but I found a combo of air and fluid volume that seems to work. First spray on the rocket showed the thinning was probably too much. I put in some more unthinned paint and mixed it around. Keep in mind, I'm dealing with small amounts of paint in a huge cup. It's a bit hard. But not too bad. My initial problem was probably not enough paint in to get sucked through. Once primed, no problem with the unthinned paint.

I was able to quickly paint the whole rocket in minutes and it came out OK. The paint is a little blotchy as I was still dealing with thinning / coverage / air-liquid mix issues. I should put another coat on it, but I'm not going to worry about it. The biggest issue is I REALLY should have put another layer of white primer on before the yellow; the gray shows through a little bit as a greenish cast, and I know from my experience that another coat of yellow won't make it go away. Though it sounds bad, what the eye will see when this is done is the contrast between the black canard fins and decals versus the golden yellow main rocket. Some imperfections in the yellow won't show strongly, I think.

What I really want to do is find a way to replace the cup with a smaller one that just holds an ounce or two with less waste. The current cup connects by what looks like a standard quarter inch set of threads; it should be doable to craft something to do it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Marc

hehehe... first too small of a cup, now too big... you're not hard to please, are ya??

Maybe put a cup down INSIDE the cup?? Something that would be smaller and hold a small amount of paint closer to the intake straw... long, cone shaped cup or something?? Course you'd have to be careful of gun positioning, so that you did't "tip it over" and spill the paint out of the inner cup...

Is it a siphon feed gun?? You could always just attach a clear vinyl hose (available at ACE hardware stores or TSC or other such stores) over or squeezed up into the paint siphon tube, and use a paint jar off a cheapy TSC airbrush... I got one last year for $9, external mix airbrush with jars a hair smaller than baby-food jars, which should be just about right for the size you're talking about... they have a tiny air vent in the top for a vacuum break and a little nipple sticking out the top that plugs the jar into the airbrush, which a small bit of clear vinyl hose should slip over quite easily...

Just tossing out ideas... Good luck! OL JR :)

I think the "cup inside the cup" idea is a keeper. I think an old small 1 or 2 oz acrylic paint container, upside down and with the "bottom" (now, the top) cut off and open, would work. The squirt tube on the top of the bottle could be fixed to some small tubing, and the tubing secured inside the original cup tubing... I'll poke around on this.

Clearly I'm like Goldilocks and the three bears... this airbrush is too small... this spray gun is too big...

I'm looking for the perfect happy medium!

I have been looking at these for a while now but keep pushing them on the back burner. I have a small Iwata compressor that has enough juice to run one of these little guns. Have you used one yet?

No but I have a standard size Iwata spray gun that is fantastic, atomizes the crap out of paint, and busts up clear coat like a mutha. I have some cheap guns that work...OK, but give just the normal model rocket so-so paint job you see at launches put on with spray cans. The last G6 gun just went for 232.00 on Ebay.

Check out the 4oz detail gun from harbor freight! #92126-OVGA
I think it's likely what your looking for sure filled my bill. Best of all you can catch them on sale every now & than for under 10 bucks.
Runs of the same small compressor my passhe air-brushes use.

Detail Sparygun-a-sm_4oz cap. cup_10-07.JPG

Yup, that's the exact gun I bought last week.

I was able to successfully sort out the air/volume issues and have now successfully used it with a couple Createx line Auto-Air paints and Wicked Colors. I'm still looking to minimize cup-loss, but it gets a nice coat on the rocket for bigger birds (per my definition, long rockets BT55 and up).

Marc

I have been painting cars and trucks for 35 years and there is a certain amount of loss :( expirenced, unfortunately. You definitely want to strain the paint, to break up the paint pigments and keep out FOD, Foreign Objects and Debris. Pour the paint through first, then your thinning medium, if the thinner backs up use a craft stick like a popsicle stick to gently stir the thinner around and work it throught the strainer. Also use a separate clean air tight container to mix your paint in first before pouring it into the paint cup. I usually mix my auto paint to the concsistency of milk. As they say "Your results may vary".
If you can afford to "waste" some paint and CO2, spend a day playing with your paint gun and some cardboard boxes, to get your paint to the right consistency, and get your gun set. Once your gun is set you should not have to adjust it any more for that paint type. Multiple guns help, one for primer, one for water based paint, one for oil based paint. Also purchase a set of spray gun cleaning brushes, they are $3-4 and worth it. Pipe cleaners are must, as is some wire bread ties with the plastic coating burned off of one end. Those are good for cleaning the orifices where the paint comes out, and you don't want to enlarge the holes at all with anything larger.
I hope this helps.
James :dark:

Back