Looking for sources on fly-away rail guides with odd sizes...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosmo

Reaction score
Looking specifically for a fly away rail guide on a 2.6" diameter rocket. (54mm MMT, so not quite minimum diameter.) The stuff I've seen online offers mainly minimum diameter stuff. Any recommendations?
Thanks.

If you can get one that is only a bit oversize, I would line the inside with something. I have a 29mm and it needed a layer of gorilla tape on the inside to take up the space.

I agree that a 3" with a thick layer of cork tape might make it work just fine. But you could also contact the two main manufacturers of them, and see if they will print you one in that size. I'm sure others would buy that size of guide as well. Or... A buddy with a 3d printer and spare time could make something for you.

I know at least one of the manufacturers for fly-away guides does have a file for 2.6" diameter rockets - I had one of the really early samples they were testing (I got it to use on a TARC rocket for long-term reliability testing, but it ended up being the wrong size for what we did the next year). I don't remember which manufacturer it was, and the guide was destroyed on an E9 cato a couple years back, so I don't have it anymore

Back