Looking for Someone to Turn Wood Nosecones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjrockets

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for someone that can replicate some Estes Goblin nosecones for me. Ideally I'd like to get some plastic (Estes part # PNC-55AO) cones but Estes has long since not had a dedicated parts department, so I can't get them individually and for 'proprietary reasons' won't give me the name of their supplier in China.
YES, I have already contacted Balsa Machining Services but they ONLY work with balsa. I have also looked online for any other suppliers that may have the plastic nosecones but didn't find anything.
In lieu of not being able to find those, I'm looking for someone to turn some of these nosecones, preferably in pine. I've had some other pine nosecones done before. I've even crashed some of these and they are TOUGH! I've just touched these up for larger rockets and 'BOOM!' They're ready to go again.
So if you have some of the PNC-55AO nosecones for sale or know someone that can make some nosecones in pine or another hardwood please respond to this.
Thanks.

+1 for Sandman / Roachwerks. I've had him make several cones for me, always does a nice job.

roachwerksmachining.com

I'm looking for suggestions for someone that can replicate some Estes Goblin nosecones for me. Ideally I'd like to get some plastic (Estes part # PNC-55AO) cones but Estes has long since not had a dedicated parts department, so I can't get them individually and for 'proprietary reasons' won't give me the name of their supplier in China.
YES, I have already contacted Balsa Machining Services but they ONLY work with balsa. I have also looked online for any other suppliers that may have the plastic nosecones but didn't find anything.
In lieu of not being able to find those, I'm looking for someone to turn some of these nosecones, preferably in pine. I've had some other pine nosecones done before. I've even crashed some of these and they are TOUGH! I've just touched these up for larger rockets and 'BOOM!' They're ready to go again.
So if you have some of the PNC-55AO nosecones for sale or know someone that can make some nosecones in pine or another hardwood please respond to this.
Thanks.

I have a vintage Goblin in the package I wouldn't mind selling/trading.
image.jpg

Thanks.

You also might consider basswood instead of pine. Lighter than pine and harder than balsa it's a better option.

Tempting Dan, I won't deny it! But my goal is to make replicas with better materials than what comes with the kits. Estes currently has this kit in production so I could get a couple kits if I want.
I could probably buy 2 current kits or more though for what you'd want for your Goblin. Sure like that packaging. Reminds me of all the Estes kits I used to have as a teenager.

Sandman produces works of art at very reasonable prices. Two years ago, he turned a 3" cone out of basswood for a scale Indonesian rocket project I was planning. It was so beautiful, that I put the project on hold and the cone still sits on my desk for decoration.

Cheers,
Michael

He did a BT-70 sized Honest John cone for my upscale EAC Firecat:
21942832426_4faef35400_b.jpg

And a BT-70 sized ram jet cone for my upscale Teros:
27300731282_91fb1ecf72_b.jpg

Oh, and I had him do the cone and transition for an Astron Cobra, scaled up to 1.9/3" tubing. This guy's work is, as you might guess by now, first rate.
27981872155_738a560502_b.jpg

Contact me at

gagnello (at) yahoo(dot) com

I can do balsa, basswood or Sitka spruce.

Gordon made the nosecone for my upscale pencil rocket out of spruce (or was it cedar at that time?). It's gorgeous and, until I polyurethaned it, smelled wonderful.

Gordon made the nosecone for my upscale pencil rocket out of spruce (or was it cedar at that time?). It's gorgeous and, until I polyurethaned it, smelled wonderful.

OK, That was a bit different.

It's made of cedar, eastern red cedar, so it will still smell like a pencil.

Don't use polyurethan. Just use an oil finish. It will still smell like cedar.

Very nice! I especially like the Firecat. I remember that rocket, I had one of those. :cool:

Back