• Have you entered ???
    LAUNCH LAB ROCKETRY GIVEAWAY

Looking for Someone to Turn Wood Nosecones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

gjrockets

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for someone that can replicate some Estes Goblin nosecones for me. Ideally I'd like to get some plastic (Estes part # PNC-55AO) cones but Estes has long since not had a dedicated parts department, so I can't get them individually and for 'proprietary reasons' won't give me the name of their supplier in China.
YES, I have already contacted Balsa Machining Services but they ONLY work with balsa. I have also looked online for any other suppliers that may have the plastic nosecones but didn't find anything.
In lieu of not being able to find those, I'm looking for someone to turn some of these nosecones, preferably in pine. I've had some other pine nosecones done before. I've even crashed some of these and they are TOUGH! I've just touched these up for larger rockets and 'BOOM!' They're ready to go again.
So if you have some of the PNC-55AO nosecones for sale or know someone that can make some nosecones in pine or another hardwood please respond to this.
Thanks.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
+1 for Sandman / Roachwerks. I've had him make several cones for me, always does a nice job.

roachwerksmachining.com

RocketFeller

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions for someone that can replicate some Estes Goblin nosecones for me. Ideally I'd like to get some plastic (Estes part # PNC-55AO) cones but Estes has long since not had a dedicated parts department, so I can't get them individually and for 'proprietary reasons' won't give me the name of their supplier in China.
YES, I have already contacted Balsa Machining Services but they ONLY work with balsa. I have also looked online for any other suppliers that may have the plastic nosecones but didn't find anything.
In lieu of not being able to find those, I'm looking for someone to turn some of these nosecones, preferably in pine. I've had some other pine nosecones done before. I've even crashed some of these and they are TOUGH! I've just touched these up for larger rockets and 'BOOM!' They're ready to go again.
So if you have some of the PNC-55AO nosecones for sale or know someone that can make some nosecones in pine or another hardwood please respond to this.
Thanks.
I have a vintage Goblin in the package I wouldn't mind selling/trading.
image.jpg

dave carver

....what hump?
Reaction score
Thanks.

You also might consider basswood instead of pine. Lighter than pine and harder than balsa it's a better option.

gjrockets

Reaction score
Tempting Dan, I won't deny it! But my goal is to make replicas with better materials than what comes with the kits. Estes currently has this kit in production so I could get a couple kits if I want.
I could probably buy 2 current kits or more though for what you'd want for your Goblin. Sure like that packaging. Reminds me of all the Estes kits I used to have as a teenager.

iqsy59

Reaction score
Sandman produces works of art at very reasonable prices. Two years ago, he turned a 3" cone out of basswood for a scale Indonesian rocket project I was planning. It was so beautiful, that I put the project on hold and the cone still sits on my desk for decoration.

Cheers,
Michael

Dugway

Reaction score
I am happy to have one of Sandman's BNC-55AO's on top of my 3 x upscale Bandit. It is one beautiful chunk of balsa!

IMG_20160717_153333[1].jpg

EXPjawa

Reaction score
He did a BT-70 sized Honest John cone for my upscale EAC Firecat:

And a BT-70 sized ram jet cone for my upscale Teros:

Oh, and I had him do the cone and transition for an Astron Cobra, scaled up to 1.9/3" tubing. This guy's work is, as you might guess by now, first rate.

Peartree

Cyborg Rocketeer
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Contact me at

gagnello (at) yahoo(dot) com

I can do balsa, basswood or Sitka spruce.
Gordon made the nosecone for my upscale pencil rocket out of spruce (or was it cedar at that time?). It's gorgeous and, until I polyurethaned it, smelled wonderful.

hornet driver

Reaction score
Sandman did the fin tip cones for this and they were dead on balls !!!-100_2289.jpg

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sandman did the nose cone for the orbiter on my 4x Orbital Transport (actually, I have 2 orbiters) and the nose cone on my Walt Disney Lunar RM-1.

IMG_3810.jpg IMG_3812.jpg IMG_3813.jpg

sandman

Reaction score
Gordon made the nosecone for my upscale pencil rocket out of spruce (or was it cedar at that time?). It's gorgeous and, until I polyurethaned it, smelled wonderful.
OK, That was a bit different.

It's made of cedar, eastern red cedar, so it will still smell like a pencil.

Don't use polyurethan. Just use an oil finish. It will still smell like cedar.

gjrockets

Reaction score
Very nice! I especially like the Firecat. I remember that rocket, I had one of those. :cool: