3D Printing Looking for recommendations: ANYCUBIC kobra Plus vs. Creality Ender 5 S1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now that I've sent back the SOVOL, I'm looking at a couple of better-known 3D printers.

The Kobra is somewhat less expensive and has a bigger build volume, 25-point leveling, but is more limited in filaments that can be used. And to my inexperienced eye the gantry doesn't look as rigid as the Ender's cube frame. The Ender is about $80 more (not a deal breaker), smaller build volume and 16-point leveling, but goes to 300C and prints at 250mm/s vs 100mm/s.

From my experience with the SOVOL I'm leaning toward the Ender; the smaller volume isn't likely to be an issue. Looking at user-friendliness especially for a newbie, and support. Also, if a lot of tinkering is required to get the machine to work I'm more likely to have problems---again, I'm a newbie. I'd rather have a unit that is shipped as several assemblies, rather than one that is just a collection of dozens of parts. Though that may not be a deal-breaker either, like most of us rocketnuts I'm fairly mechanically inclined.

Any add-ons that should definitely be considered for either machine?

Comments? Suggestions? Physical threats? :)

Many thanks!
Terry

EDIT: I've searched the forum looking for info and found a few posts, but didn't see much on tinkering requirements or support.

Last edited:
For a bit bigger build volume, consider the Elegoo Neptune 3 Plus. I just pulled the trigger on one last week. It should arrive in about 4-6 weeks. I did a LOT of research on it after posting my Tronxy idea and Chuck pointed out the negative reviews.

Neptune 3 Plus has excellent reviews, very capable, and very little setup required. Only negative that I saw was that the latest version of Cura didn't support the printer. Upon upgrading my version of Cura, I found that it does, indeed, support the Neptune 3 Pro, Plus, and Max printers. So, my Ender 3 will most likely get converted to a laser engraver/cutter while the Neptune becomes my everyday FDM printer. With a 400mm Z-axis, I should be able to print quite a few nose cones for 98mm rockets. Definitely investing in an enclosure for this one.

X-1 Carbon
That one is not in the price range.

Now that I've sent back the SOVOL, I'm looking at a couple of better-known 3D printers.

The Kobra is somewhat less expensive and has a bigger build volume, 25-point leveling, but is more limited in filaments that can be used. And to my inexperienced eye the gantry doesn't look as rigid as the Ender's cube frame. The Ender is about $80 more (not a deal breaker), smaller build volume and 16-point leveling, but goes to 300C and prints at 250mm/s vs 100mm/s.

From my experience with the SOVOL I'm leaning toward the Ender; the smaller volume isn't likely to be an issue. Looking at user-friendliness especially for a newbie, and support. Also, if a lot of tinkering is required to get the machine to work I'm more likely to have problems---again, I'm a newbie. I'd rather have a unit that is shipped as several assemblies, rather than one that is just a collection of dozens of parts. Though that may not be a deal-breaker either, like most of us rocketnuts I'm fairly mechanically inclined.

Many thanks!
Terry

EDIT: I've searched the forum looking for info and found a few posts, but didn't see much on tinkering requirements or support.

The Kobra is a good printer. I have two Anycubics, and both have been printing for 3 years.

That one is not in the price range.
There wasn't one listed explicitly listed, of course you might be tempted to infer. I was reading some of the desired traits that were mentioned that seemed to be more important than price. My opinion. Yours may vary.

There wasn't one listed explicitly listed, of course you might be tempted to infer. I was reading some of the desired traits that were mentioned that seemed to be more important than price. My opinion. Yours may vary.

The base model has a price of $260. If you go with the Max and get twice the volume of the X1C, it is 1/2 the price. Although it does not have the bells and whistles of the X1C or MK4, it is a much cheaper and more reliable printer than anything I have ever received from Creality.

Thanks all, for the advice. I ended up ordering the Creality Ender. The higher temperature gives greater versatility (and learning potential, I'm sure), and the smaller volume isn't much of an obstacle, since I expect to print mostly low- and mid-power parts. Both it and the Kobra are in the same price range, around $500. I don't know about the X-1 Carbon but every ad I saw had a price tag well into four figures; too big of a jump.

Best,
Terry

I have an older Ender 5 and am happy with it. The design is solid. I’ve had to upgrade it to get some of the features that are standard now.

As a chemist, I’m guessing you were intrigued by the idea of printing different materials with different properties. I really like the ability to print with CF-infused nylon.

Many thanks!
Terry

Hey, I know that this thread is inactive, but I am in the same boat deciding between the Ender 5 Plus and the Anycubic Kobra 2 Plus; How has the ender 5 been treating you?

Back