Looking for Plans

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sj_h1

Reaction score
Many years ago I built several boost gliders that I though was called an Eagle. As I remember it was just a set of plans not made in a kit from anyone. It was a triangular wing with a forward mounted engine pod. The engine pod had canards on it. The wing was made of several 3" inch sections of balsa glued edge to edge. The triangle seemed like it was about 12" on a side. It also had 2 triangular rudders. These were pretty good flyers and I really would like build a few more. If anyone knows ther true name for this model and where I could get the plans, I would appreciate it.

Is this the plan you're looking for?

https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/eirp_29.htm

It was an Estes contest winner. I also think I remember someone who did a 2x or 3x upscale that used a cluster. It used standard cardboard for the wing. I think the builder called it the Triple Eagle. I'll see if I can find a link.

... Bill

Last edited:

It was an Estes contest winner. I also think I remember someone who did a 2x or 3x upscale that used a cluster. It used standard cardboard for the wing. I think the builder called it the Triple Eagle. I'll see if I can find a link.

... Bill

That builder of a direct 3x upscale would be Jeff Vincent, known BTC, back in 97. He did use corrugated cardboard and also upscaled EVERY dimension on his bird, even winding up with ejecting the 3x18mm motor mount from the forward pod. However, he ran into issues and reported these back on RMR way back then.

That got me involved, and we had a running discussion about what is right and wrong in upscaling this thing. I ended up making my version out of foamboard (but todays Adams products is way lighter), using a single subrudder instead of the two top mounted high ones, and last of all, mine used a BT60 tube (single 24mm powered) and ejected a forward section.

These improvements led to the so called Astron Triple Eagle, which has flown very well and todays version is easily built and flown. In fact, this flew at the last few TTRA launches.

I want to badly get photos of this, and likely do a build thread of it here, since most of you would drool at flying something this large, easy, and cool.

That builder of a direct 3x upscale would be Jeff Vincent, known BTC, back in 97. He did use corrugated cardboard and also upscaled EVERY dimension on his bird, even winding up with ejecting the 3x18mm motor mount from the forward pod. However, he ran into issues and reported these back on RMR way back then.

That got me involved, and we had a running discussion about what is right and wrong in upscaling this thing. I ended up making my version out of foamboard (but todays Adams products is way lighter), using a single subrudder instead of the two top mounted high ones, and last of all, mine used a BT60 tube (single 24mm powered) and ejected a forward section.

These improvements led to the so called Astron Triple Eagle, which has flown very well and todays version is easily built and flown. In fact, this flew at the last few TTRA launches.

I want to badly get photos of this, and likely do a build thread of it here, since most of you would drool at flying something this large, easy, and cool.

Well then...........: )

Oh yea, forgot to mention in my last post, besides the 3x version, I now have a 4.5x I just finished building. It has a 40" span and uses twin 24mm, and even with the ejectable forward section and large canard, this comes in at just under a pound, so two D12s will do fine.

Actually, this was supposed to be flying TODAY at the Orlando ROCK launch, but since I got horrifically lost trying to find the site, it will wait for either TTRA or the next Orlando launch, provided I get better directions :bangpan:

... Bill

Yes thats it!!!! I have been looking for it for months! Thank you!:)

I like the idea of foam board too. Thats alot of balsa.

AstronMike, haven't posted here in some time, but I saw this thread about Eagle Type Gliders. I built a large version in 2000 that flew on an H73. It kept the RMS casing on board and use a piston to deploy the forward elevators. It used half-inch foamboard for the wing, with symmetrical balsa leading edge to frame the foamboard. The rudders and canard were regular 3/8ths inch. That noble looking fellow is not me, but was one of the OKC Tripoli folks. The launch was the coldest one I have ever been to, with the north wind blowing from the Artic circle straight through western Oklahoma. Love to see your stuff, AstronMike. (edited post to remove fatfingery)
-Braz

BORG 1 first flight.jpg

BORG 1.jpg

Last edited:
I have found a source for Readi-Board at the local Dollar Tree stores. I purchased three sheets of it to experiment with. They have a slight warp that I will try to get out (I will have to experiment with weighting it down). I am not sure what glue to use, I will try titebond III first. Now to decide on which plans to use to get started .... :)

https://www.dollartree.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=Readi-Board&x=17&y=4

Good deal, you will love this stuff once you get used to working with it!

Do not worry about the slight warpage because ALL foamcore boards get this, especially if its along its longer side. This is actually not bad, since if you cut the wings right you end up making this warpage into elliptical dihedral, which is a net gain.

Also, even if the warpage ends up running fore and aft, it will disappear once you glue the chord to the body tube. Now, you may want some weight when you do this, but not much, or you may end up crimping your body tube. I recommend a phone book or two, this gets plenty of 'down weight' but also spreads the load as to not oval your main body tube. The other helpful deal is to assemble and insert your motor pod inside the gliders BT before gluing the wing on (assuming a large delta planform, which is why you got Readiboard in the first place).

Also note that when you purchase this stuff, it comes in a case of 50, and if you end up seeing it half gone, the sheets that are loose in the front are always warpier than the ones pressed together at the rear, so always get sheets from the BACK of the case if you can! Even at this, they will tend to inherently warp some if sat alone for a while. Like I said above, not a big deal.

I use regular ole wood glue on this, since the outer skin is actually more 'papery' than the clay based coating of standard foamboards.

Lastly, I have noticed that Readiboard has had several slight weight changes over the last 5 years, with some of the newer stock being lighter and therefore more desirable. Try to weigh your new sheets, if they come in right around 4z each (150 sq in/z) then you have the good stuff.

Back