Looking for Inputs on Launch Pad Assembly

Discussion in 'Ground Support' started by Nodroc, Nov 19, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 19, 2019 #1

Nodroc

Nodroc

Nodroc

IMG_8273.jpeg IMG_8274.jpeg IMG_8275.jpeg Over the summer I became the equipment manager for our university's rocketry club. The lab was all over the place so a great deal of time was spent organizing and rearranging. In the process I found these pieces for what appears to be a small scale launch pad. We deal exclusively in mid to high power rocketry and have always teamed up with the local state rocketry club for our launches and as such, I'm not super familiar with a launch system like this one.
    The tripod is pretty straight forward but the rails don't seem like anything a rocket would slide onto (we're used to 1010 or 1515 rails). Perhaps one of you more experienced rocketeers could give some direction as to what power level would suite this best and what would need to be purchased or done to make this fully operational (note we do have the blast deflector but it isn't pictured).

2. Nov 20, 2019 #2

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

I think the square tubes are supports for Unistrut or 1515 rail. The round tubs are legs.

3. Nov 20, 2019 #3

TimothyG

TimothyG

TimothyG

Could also be a variable size launch tower for lugless.

4. Nov 20, 2019 #4

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Amateur Professional TRF Supporter

Three round legs with pins to hold 'em ; bolt the rail together and two pins to hold it.

timbucktoo likes this.
  5. Nov 20, 2019 #5

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

Better said then what I tried to type.

This appears to be a well-made pad. I have never seen this design, but it is similar to others I have seen.

6. Nov 20, 2019 #6

Nodroc

Nodroc

Nodroc

So once the rod is assembled, is the idea that you would then bolt a 1010 aluminum rail to that rod?

7. Nov 22, 2019 #7

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Maybe? Would need to see the different sides of the rod, any other fastening holes, marks or paint etc.

8. Nov 22, 2019 #8

Nodroc

Nodroc

Nodroc

If you'd like, I can take some additional pictures of the rod, but they won't tell you much. They're hollow and anything of interest is already showing. No paint, no additional fastening holes or marks to be seen. At this point, I'm fairly certain I'll attempt to attach the 1010 rail to the rod but am still working out the 'how' of that process.

9. Nov 23, 2019 #9

dhbarr

dhbarr

dhbarr

Honestly I would just tap the 1010 directly and slot it straight in, collar if needed. If there's no other holes on the square bits you have two medium poles and two spare joiners with no side holes to pin vertical.