looking for fin pattern

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to see a Hercules upscale! Are you thinking MD two-state? I have seriously considered doing a 29/29 mm MD upscale, but I have other things that are higher on the build list. Please keep us updated on your progress.

The upscale will be to a 4 inch (3.9) airframe with a clear payload section.
It will be a single stage 38mm with the fins as a single unit but to look like booster and upper stage. See attachment below

I will be posting some upscale builds soon Maxi Icarus, Hercules, and
Payloader II ( debating on Estes or Centuri version for the Payloader II )

All will be to a 3.9 airframe with clear payload sections and dual deployment :)

Bobby

I would love to see a Hercules upscale! Are you thinking MD two-state? I have seriously considered doing a 29/29 mm MD upscale, but I have other things that are higher on the build list. Please keep us updated on your progress.

cad hercules.JPG

Last edited:
I love it!!!

What are you going to use for your clear payload tubes? I asked about this a while back for my upscale Magnum Payloader (that's what's ahead of the Hercules on the build pile). I'd love to hear if you have a proven solution.

the nosecone is LOC
coupler is PML split then epoxied back together
the all thread runs from bottom of coupler to inside nosecone.
altimeter and MAD inside coupler. small clear tube inside bigger tube adds stiffness to clear section and is a path for ejection charges

Only problem is the company sells the clear sections in 6 foot lengths with 4 sections to a carton for 130 bucks plus shipping

Bobby

clear section.jpg

BDB

What size airframe are you planing on up sizing the Magnum Payloader to ?

Bobby

I'd really like to do 3" using a modified pinnacle NC from Giant Leap and a 38 mm MMT in the sustainer. But the problem is that 3" ID airframes (LOC, Bluetube, etc) won't work well with the 3" OD of clear polycarbonate tubing. I may end up glassing a 3" OD mailing tube or upscaling even more to 4" OD / 3.9" ID just so everything will fit.

BDB
The company makes a 3 inch clear tube with 3 different wall thicknesses.
1/32 1/16 and 1/8 I am using the 1/16 wall but in a 4 inch tube

clear tube specs
3" outside diameter
2 7/8" = 2.875" inside diameter
1/16" wall = approx .072"

PML Quantum
3.002" outside diameter
2.858" = 2.27/32 Inside diameter
.072" wall = approx 1/16"

That is a mighty close match in my book :)

Bobby

Very cool. I haven't worked with quantum tubing yet, but this looks like a great excuse to learn. What's your source for the clear tubes?

Back