Looking for fin jigs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a nice fin jig that works well for me but i have to use it one fin at a time. Lately, my itch being scratched is minimize the time it takes to build an airframe. Does anyone have pictures of a fin jig that can align 3 fins at once and work from 2" body tubes all the way up to maybe 5.5" body tubes?

The vast majority of fin jig designs that can do all fins at once are custom-made for each rocket. Those would typically be either foam board (printed from Payload Bay or equivalent) or 3D-printed, of which there about a billion different designs.

[edit: and now you have one example of each, right above here :)]

I'm not sure I've *ever* seen a jig design that can do all fins at once for multiple diameters in the size range you're talking about. There are smaller ones (e.g. the Estes jig) but nothing to my knowledge for large rockets.

The vast majority of fin jig designs that can do all fins at once are custom-made for each rocket.
Seems to me that one design should work for multiple rockets of a given tube diameter, fin thickness, and fin count combination. for instance:
1649703074058.png
Once his Ultimate Wildman is complete, @rocketgeek101 could put that away for his next 6" airframe with three however-thick-those-are fins. Whether or not it's worth storing until then is a matter of one's priorities, depending on one's affinity for a given configuration and available space in one's workshop.

I used to have a BMI CAD fin jig that I built a BSD Horizon over a decade ago but it disappeared in a "forced" move. I'd like to get another but BMI CAD does not appear to be in business. 😭

I too am in the market for a reliable fin jig...

I don't have any problems doing one fin at a time. I put Titebond II on the root edge, put the fin on the jig and after 10 minutes it is dried enough to rotate the rocket and put on the next fin. I couldn't save enough time per rocket to make it worth giving up on my single fin jig. I spend days building motor mounts, building fins, filleting fins, saving 15 minutes isn't a consideration.

I have a nice fin jig that works well for me but i have to use it one fin at a time. Lately, my itch being scratched is minimize the time it takes to build an airframe. Does anyone have pictures of a fin jig that can align 3 fins at once and work from 2" body tubes all the way up to maybe 5.5" body tubes?
https://www.roysrockets.com/products/roysrockets-fin-jig Doing three at once just makes errors easier to creep into your life.

Back