Looking For ESTES Goblin Information

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased an Estes Goblin kit 7237 on clearance (torn packaging). The kit was missing the bag containing motor mount, launch lug, clay weights, shock cord, and streamers. Missing parts aren't a real issue since I have plenty of spare parts. The issues I face are as follow...
Length and size of shock cord?
Length and width of streamers
Weight of clay for the nose cone (or the Goblin's CG)?
Your help is greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Angelo

shock cord length doesn't really make a lot of difference unless you're looking to make an exact clone, so with that in mind...I would suggest 42 - 48 inches of 1/8" sewing elastic, 96" of crepe paper streamer(attached to the cord to provide 2 48" lengths), 7 grams of nose weight(two clay pats were included in my Estes kit).
Rex

there was a time when the Goblin came with a balsa nose and no additional weight :); https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/k-55.htm
Rex

I cloned a Goblin using a balsa cone from semroc and basswood fins. I added some weight to the nose otherwise it totally failed the string test. It flies well but I've popped a fin a few times on landing. Probably should put on alonger streamer!

if you're not going with a 'mighty D engine'* a 12" chute works well(and packs easier) :). I did have an issue with the Semroc version which came with 1 long lug (and instructions to use a single long lug) the issue was that doing so caused problems with the decals. the Estes reissue does not have that problem.
Rex
*a goblin flies quite nicely on standard 18mm motors :).

if you're not going with a 'mighty D engine'* a 12" chute works well(and packs easier) :). I did have an issue with the Semroc version which came with 1 long lug (and instructions to use a single long lug) the issue was that doing so caused problems with the decals. the Estes reissue does not have that problem.
Rex
*a goblin flies quite nicely on standard 18mm motors :).

Well turns out I know one motor not to use on mine and it's a B4-4. Not enough oompf! The C11-5 was absolutely marvelous but, uh, well... you know....

My original Estes kit not once popped a fin. I have heavy fillets... the problem I've had is with the tube actually de-laminating when the fin pops, peeling up the layers. Each one that has popped is now much stronger... but now it's carrying a bit more paint! Fortunately I have my old bonus kit plans and fin pattern (yep the originals!) and so there is zero chance I'd ever use a single long launch lug. In fact, I added a standoff just to add some drag (actually to keep the paint job clean).

Back