Looking for Coleman Lantern help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanbajacal

Reaction score
I have an old Coleman 220F195 Lantern that I can no longer pump up the pressure. How do I remove the pump/plunger assembly? Thank you for any help.

Hi,
I think the collar around the pump just twists off (not even a screw attachment). I've replaced the pump in an old stove, wasn't a problem. You should be able to find a replacement pump easily.

Many of the pumps have two holes 180 degrees apart and a small spring clip that sits in the holes. The clip is plenty big to grab with your fingers but you can (carefully) use a pair of pliers to get a better grip. Pull up one side of the clip until it clears the hole and then the other should be easy. Once the clip is removed the pump assembly should pull out pretty easily IIRC.

On older models the base of the pump slide had a ring made of felt (or some kind of cloth). This would eventually wear out or dry out. If worn out it needs to be replace. If dried out, a little 3 in 1 oil (I think) is good. The newer ones are rubber, look to see if it is torn.

More instructions with exploded parts diagrams can be found on Coleman's website (www.coleman.com)

The diaphragm on the pump plunger was leather on the early models, and rubber on the later ones. These would dry out, and as long as they were not damaged, a little cleaning, and re-wet with oil would normally fix this.

Peartree, THANK YOU 2 GOLD STARS for you, some how I saw the clip as something else.
Again THANK YOU!!!!

you can get replacements at most sporting good stores also make sure the regulater is clean and the choke/generator is clean. you can over haul the lanters for bout 12 bucks without globe.

Before reassembling clean the housing tube. Take a dowel and wrap it with paper toweling soaked with any cleaner. If you use powder solvent for motor cleaning use that. Keep cleaning till the toweling comes out clean. This will remove all the rust and gunk that has built up for years and is what probably caused the washer to fail. If you replace with a leather washer use some neats foot oil on it, sparingly. Should last another 25 years! Uncrichie.

you can get replacements at most sporting good stores also make sure the regulater is clean and the choke/generator is clean. you can over haul the lanters for bout 12 bucks without globe.

I've cleaned and repaired the pumps but I'm pretty sure the regulator or choke generator on my Coleman stove needs cleaned/overhauled. I haven't done that before. Is it hard?

I've cleaned and repaired the pumps but I'm pretty sure the regulator or choke generator on my Coleman stove needs cleaned/overhauled. I haven't done that before. Is it hard?

You must not have bothered to look at that website I posted a few posts up. All the info you'd ever want to have on rebuilding Coleman equipment can be found there. They have step-by-step directions.

You must not have bothered to look at that website I posted a few posts up. All the info you'd ever want to have on rebuilding Coleman equipment can be found there. They have step-by-step directions.

Guilty as charged Scott. I've been both busy and sick with the flu so I haven't been following anyone's links or even keeping up very well. Sorry.

Is it hard?

Back