Looking for big daddy nose cones or balsa equivalent

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cussler08

Reaction score
I'm working on a project that requires (ideally) the NC for the Big Daddy. Does anyone know where I can find one or the balsa equivalent?

Thanks!

How much of a stickler are you? Balsa Machining sells a plastic one that is close, I think. IIRC, the Big Daddy and Leviathan use the same NC. Stop me right there if I am wrong. If I'm right, then this one is close:

https://www.balsamachining.com/cart...nURL=https://www.balsamachining.com/cones.htm
You are pretty close to spot on, the only nosecone that is exactly the same as the Leviathan is the Big Daddy's, the PNC-300 sold by Balsa Machining, Apogee, and Mercury Engineering is two inches longer (I used to have a side by side comparison picture somewhere) in the ogive section.

Last edited:
Hey boss, I have a copy of that photo you posted that shows the shorter Big Daddy Nose Cone beside the Balsa Machine 300 Nose Cone. Here it is:)

Outside of a Big Daddy Cone, this is about your only choice to fit that tube.

Attachments

• Big Daddy compared to PNC-300 Nose Cone.jpg
    Big Daddy compared to PNC-300 Nose Cone.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 78
Hey boss, I have a copy of that photo you posted that shows the shorter Big Daddy Nose Cone beside the Balsa Machine 300 Nose Cone. Here it is:)

Outside of a Big Daddy Cone, this is about your only choice to fit that tube.
That's the one, thanks. When the forum software upgraded all the photos uploaded by my account vanished from it, they are still in the posts just not in a gallery type file for me to pick from any longer.

I have a file that I will print this weekend on my Creality. Too big for the Prusa.

I've got an actual Big Daddy nose cone from back when my son did TARC. (If 9" with a 3" shoulder is correct.) But for something that size shipping will be a substantial portion of the cost. PM if you are interested.

Tony

I believe the in-style method of getting those cones is to by a discount Big Daddy from AC Supply:rolleyes:
I didn't even know the Big Daddy was still in production. Price at AC is $20.99, but with a flat $11.99 shipping charge for orders under $100. Shipping is always the killer for small orders. Still if you can find a few other items you need probably the best way to get the nose cone.

Tony

With Python Rocketry out of commission, we do need a reliable manufacturer of custom nose cones.

That link was blocked in my workplace for a webcat of "illegal activities." What's up with that?
No idea why its being blocked. His hosting provider may not be 100% clean, I don't know. Gordon used to be here on TRF quite a bit but I haven't seen him in a while.

No idea why its being blocked. His hosting provider may not be 100% clean, I don't know. Gordon used to be here on TRF quite a bit but I haven't seen him in a while.
He usually seems to hang out over on YORF username Sandman.

Really?? I was just going to have BMS do some centering rings and bulkheads for me.

Thanks for the info Nytrunner.
And not to steal the thread, but I just got some parts for a Leviathan (clone). It included the BMS/Apogee taller nose cone.
But now that I think about it, I have a painted black Big Daddy Nosecone (when it was D power only).
My Question is... I think I have the original parts/decals/instructions for an Estes High Impulse/North Coast Rocketry 3" Bomarc. And was going to use that cone for it, since its original is long gone.

Now which nose cone is correct for the NCR Bomarc? Would it look better with the longer BMS/Apogee nose cone?

Last edited:
Really?? I was just going to have BMS do some centering rings and bulkheads for me.
Quite some time ago he stopped doing custom nose cones and transitions, and I'm pretty sure custom centering rings. He had quite a variety of customizable templates, but when I asked one day if a particular deviation from the templates would be possible (and I was totally ready to take "no" for an answer) he told me he was giving up on the whole thing. Checking the web site just now, I don't see any mention of custom work.

A darn shame.

Back