Looking for assistance - Balls three stage Q flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexzogh

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have three crates sitting in my garage from Wildman that need to be tucked into a nice new three stage rocket.

Two P8000's

• Delays: Plugged
  • Propellant Weight: 23722.8000 g
  • Total Weight: 36015.0000 g
  • Average Thrust: 7,595.6272 N
  • Peak Thrust: 10,001.0000 N
  • Total Impulse: 52888.3524 Ns
  • Class: 29% P
  • Thrust Duration: 6.9630 s

One O 25000

Brandname
Pro150 30795O25000-P
Manufacturer
Cesaroni Technology
Man. Designation
30795O25000-P
CAR Designation
CTI 30795-O25000-VM-P
Test Date
1/6/2012

Single-Use/Reload/Hybrid
Single-Use
Motor Dimensions mm
132mm x 1407mm
Loaded Weight
23,558 g
Total Impulse
30,794.6 N-s (6,922.9 lb.s)
Propellant Weight
14,471 g
Maximum Thrust
29,275.7 N (6,581.4 lb)
Burnout Weight
8,853 g
Avg Thrust
23,507.3 N (5,284.7 lb)
Delays Tested
Plugged
ISP
217.0 s
Samples per second
Burntime
1.31 s
Notes
50.4% O - Vmax

I'm open to suggestions, design concepts, and assistance (not monetary). Looking for high safety, but also high efficiency - I'll settle for cool factor as I love scale rockets as well.

A couple of thoughts I had;

build or buy metal fincans for the P-8000's and let them fly mostly naked except for the interstage couplers. Go minimum diameter on the o 25000.

Nike-Nike-Dart
(see Nike-Nike smoke here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...for-the-Nike-Nike-Smoke&p=1603497#post1603497)

Centaur-Dart

Use both P's as a single dual-motor booster like the atlas V upper stage.

Delta IV Heavy-Dart

use both P's as the external common booster cores, and leave the center empty (or someone convince me to buy a third P )

I have most of the electronics, and will likely build more.

all thoughts and offers of help are accepted!

Alex,

I could help with the build. I'm in the Chicago metro area 3 to 4 days every couple of weeks.

-Tim

</script>8" cols="60" tabindex="1">"use both P's as the external common booster cores, and leave the center empty (or someone convince me to buy a third P )."

wow!!! convince you to buy a third P motor. I don't think I can help there, but
the vostok is a pretty cool cluster rocket, but 4- P motors would be necessary. :)

heres my thought on what style of rocket: the nike/nike smoke is an absolute awesome rocket.
but theres a lot of them that have been flown in many different configurations.
IF I was in your situation, I would be looking for something that isn't as popular.

if you did the delta IV, wouldn't it be wise to have the central motor, in the event that there is a problem with one of the outboards?

Whatever you decide I suggest you contact the TRA class three committee before you start construction.
A three stage with P motors may stretch the waiver radius.

M

I love the idea of side boosters, but I think you'd need to have the O25000 on the sides so your center core keeps burning after the sides burn out. Actually, that might be ugly if they don't start at exactly the same moment. Maybe better to airstart the O when the P's are about burned out.

Total motor weight is ~100kg, so the all up weight is on the order of 150-200kg, so you could put the motors in any order you want. If you do three stages and aim for maximum altitude, does it make sense to hit it with the O first to get it off the pad in a hurry and boost it through the thick air, then start up the longburns? You're not getting as much benefit from dumping diameter, but maybe you have maximum airspeed benefits?

This is all thinking out load as someone who's total rocket weight built is less than the propellant weight of the O, so please don't take me for an expert!

Whatever you decide I suggest you contact the TRA class three committee before you start construction.
A three stage with P motors may stretch the waiver radius.

M

What Mark said. Three stage- active guidance or spin stabilization to reduce dispersion. You NEED to talk to the TRA class committee asap.

What Mark said. Three stage- active guidance or spin stabilization to reduce dispersion. You NEED to talk to the TRA class committee asap.

If you go with my idea dispersion isn't as big a deal. And there will be more than enough beer left over for the class 3 committee.

:cool:

If you go with my idea dispersion isn't as big a deal. And there will be more than enough beer left over for the class 3 committee.

:cool:

Waitaminnit! Are you launching FULL beer kegs? Because that would be an unacceptable risk in case of failure. Think of all the beer that would get spilled. Well, maybe if it was Miller Lite it would be all right. :p [ducks and runs]

Cluster them. Fire all of your guns at once, and explode into space.

Waitaminnit! Are you launching FULL beer kegs? Because that would be an unacceptable risk in case of failure. Think of all the beer that would get spilled. Well, maybe if it was Miller Lite it would be all right. :p [ducks and runs]

Nah....it'll just be extra motivation to get it right the first time.

On a more serious note, I don't live too far from Chicago area and would love to Help for a few hours in a few months after I'm off of crutches just so I can see it. I may not be of much technical assistance but I can lift heavy-ish things to sort of offset my rudely inviting myself over.

:)

Tim Lehr might be looking to rehome mega dark star. . That would get you part of the way their.

Alex,

I could help with the build. I'm in the Chicago metro area 3 to 4 days every couple of weeks.

-Tim

Thanks Tim!

Here's my plan. I will publish a schedule for spring / summer, and dedicate certain days and time's I'll be working on the rocket. Anyone can take a look, and sign up to join. Ill do my best to keep it updated, with progress so you know what I'll likely be working on. Stay tuned.

Alex

Back