Looking for assistance - Balls three stage Q flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever you decide I suggest you contact the TRA class three committee before you start construction.
A three stage with P motors may stretch the waiver radius.

M

Yes!

This is what is making me lean more toward a two-stage heavier rocket. Given Jim Jarvis's comments on the subject in his multistage rocket thread, I'm entering with caution. I happened to be one of his other beta testers for stabilization hardware, so his commentary on the subject holds a lot of weight for me. The good news is I have the software, and skills to do much of the testing and analysis before ever submitting anything to the committee.

The one hangup I have is the simultaneous ignition of two P-motors, as well as their simultaneous burnout. Any major thrust variation on either end could dramatically alter the launch profile - at least in simulations. Has anyone had a good solution for this besides stabilization, or thrust vectoring? From a safety perspective, I don't want to require either for this to be successful, that's a fools errand. Just want good video.

I have three crates sitting in my garage from Wildman that need to be tucked into a nice new three motor rocket.

Two P8000's

I'm open to suggestions, design concepts, and assistance (not monetary). Looking for high safety, but also high efficiency - I'll settle for cool factor as I love scale rockets as well.

A couple of thoughts I had:

use both P's as the external common booster cores, and ( someone convince me to buy a third P )

I have most of the electronics, and will likely build more.

all thoughts and offers of help are accepted!

BIG Mercury Atlas!!!

Adrian- are you volunteering to ride in the capsule in the top? You know, if you're "on" the rocket, you can't get "hit" by the rocket :)

Over the years I have been approached twice by people who were serious about riding in a rocket.
The first one didn't have the money and the second could afford it but died in an industrial accident before anything was done but design.
We did all the numbers for a 5-10,000' flight.
A full P motor will do a pretty good job.
Cluster Bad!

M

Back