Looking for a way to mark painted tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering if there's a marker or crayon that is safe to use on painted body tubes. I know some use pencil, but I was thinking something more like a crayon that can be wiped off. I would use this for placing decals and marking their position etc.

Wet-erase markers.

+1 That is what I use as well. Old farts like me used to know them as "transparency markers", used for overhead projectors.

OTMS_0.jpg

I often use them to mark reference lines for applying vinyl trim.

Last edited:
You could always put clear tape on and mark it with a Sharpie or a pen.

Greg

When I need exact placement, like applying individual letters to spell a name, or something like US ARMY, I use masking tape with tic marks for positioning of the individual letters. This really helps when you have thin and wide letters and don't want to use same spacing for each letter (kerning).

When I need exact placement, like applying individual letters to spell a name, or something like US ARMY, I use masking tape with tic marks for positioning of the individual letters. This really helps when you have thin and wide letters and don't want to use same spacing for each letter (kerning).

+1, low tack painters masking tape (yellow or green) so as not to peel the finish if its still fragile.

+1 That is what I use as well. Old farts like me used to know them as "transparency markers", used for overhead projectors.

OTMS_0.jpg

I often use them to mark reference lines for applying vinyl trim.

Bingo- beat me to it! Dan- i've also used a wax pencil commonly known as a China Marker-like a crayon with more pigment.

could also look into markers made for youngens. ive got a pile-o- Crayola markers that wipe off pretty easy.
not for me,though. I stopped writing on walls 45 years ago with markers.
graduated to ceilings. :)

Yeah, the kiddo markers wipe off easily with a damp cloth. My youngun took here to the dryer. Sprayed alcohol on it and scrubbed and scrubbed. Then used water, came right off.

a caution about using transparency markers, don't leave the marks on the surface for an extended time period as the marks tend to get semi-permanent. I like using tape for marking tubes etc.
Rex

Back