Looking for a Part

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I need an Estes part I can't find. It's a green adapter ring. Fits BT-5 to BT-20 and it's one inch long. It's basically an AR520 but 1" instead of 1/4".

I do not have the part number. Does anyone have this or know where I can locate it?

do you mean a centering ring?
if so, couldn't you just make one by cutting 1 inch pieces of paper and wrap/gule the bt 5 with them?

Not off the top of my head, but the e2x generic kit has one in it.

Edit: mea culpa, I was thinking 20-50 not 5-20.

Last edited:
On further reflection, wouldn't cutting a used bt20 motor casing give you this with just a little sanding?

On further reflection, wouldn't cutting a used bt20 motor casing give you this with just a little sanding?

I was considering that. The only issue is the motors just don't fit that snugly in the BT-20 like they used to. But that may be my only option.

If it helps, I'm building the fin can for the Estes Beta Series Patriot.

do you mean a centering ring?
if so, couldn't you just make one by cutting 1 inch pieces of paper and wrap/gule the bt 5 with them?

This could work, but the goal I'm working on is to build all the Estes Scale and Semi-Scale rockets and missiles and build them to exact instructions. The only point I am willing to vary on is that I now launch pretty much exclusively from rails. So they will lose the launch lugs and receive mini or micro rail buttons.

I was Just thinking, why spend money on a part w/shipping, when you could make it. it'll be inside no one will ever know :wink:

Man, you crazy! But you made me look so I guess that makes me crazy too.

mini pat parts.jpg

That part served double duty as a motor tube centering ring and coupler for the fin can/forward airframe. Cut a spent 18mm motor and be done with it.

Or wait for a TRFer to dig one up and work a deal with you.

Or use 4 of the 0520 rings in the parts pack that turbofireball linked to (the 1 inch parts in that set are 2050 size).

Last edited:
Man, you crazy! But you made me look so I guess that makes me crazy too.

View attachment 301017

That part served double duty as a motor tube centering ring and coupler for the fin can/forward airframe. Cut a spent 18mm motor and be done with it.

Or wait for a TRFer to dig one up and work a deal with you.

Or use 4 of the 0520 rings in the parts pack that turbofireball linked to (the 1 inch parts in that set are 2050 size).

Wow Sam, you should work in an auto parts store. ;) /Tim

I'll have to look in my inventory.
PM me your address and if I have one I'll ship it to you.
If I don't, Randy should have one in Semroc Parts at erockets.biz
"THIS" is what he has, would be the same as I have.

Yeah that's the 1/4" one. I could ask Randy at erockets or call BMS and see if they can cut one off a stock length. I assume they cut their own CRs. If I could find a snug fitting motor casing, I'd cut it off one, but the motors all have a slightly loose fit lately.

It's not like I HAVE to have it today. But that's all that stands in the way of completing the mini Patriot.

I was Just thinking, why spend money on a part w/shipping, when you could make it. it'll be inside no one will ever know :wink:

Oh, you are absolutely right. And I wasn't disregarding your idea. I just suffer badly from A.R.S. and it'd irk the crap out of me forever lol.

Wow Sam, you should work in an auto parts store. ;) /Tim

And you should be a career counselor. :grin:

I am a sucker for these TRF Easter Egg Hunts, and this thread did remind me that Estes made a 13mm Patriot, which I forgot or never knew.

Well it looks like I'm just going to have to keep looking for a spent case that is swollen enough to fit properly.

Why not just stack 4 of them right next to each other? If you are trying to build all of the Estes scale kits, you are really going to go crazy trying to locate some of the parts. The clear butyrate plastic sheets used in the K-21 Gemini-Titan, K-28 Thor-Agena B, and K-39 Semi-Scale Saturn V come to mind. I have not been able to locate a source for them. Interestingly, I can find sources for some diameters of clear butyrate tubing, but not plastic sheets. There is a sheet of wood included with the K-41 Mercury Redstone to make the struts of the escape tower that is not currently being reproduced. I could go further and list Estes scale kits that one would have a problem reproducing without a vintage kit, but the list would be fairly long.

Well, I go for kits when I can. It's been a heck of a search for some of them. I'm searching kits for a few due to parts, some due to bad fin scans, and some due to inability to reproduce the same parts such as nose cones. It's a long work in progress. Years are expected.

Back