Quantcast

Looking for a new Tripoli prefecture near York, PA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

gabby8891

Habitual Tree Finder
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
After living my whole life in Minnesota, my wife is taking advantage of a great offer to advance her career. We will be moving to York, PA at the end of 2018. The TRA website interactive map doesn't work, so I can't tell where the nearby prefectures are, or anything about them. Can anyone give me some information about where I can go to continue my High Power Rocketry addiction! Thanks

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After living my whole life in Minnesota, my wife is taking advantage of a great offer to advance her career. We will be moving to York, PA at the end of 2018. The TRA website interactive map doesn't work, so I can't tell where the nearby prefectures are, or anything about them. Can anyone give me some information about where I can go to continue my High Power Rocketry addiction! Thanks
I just tried it and it’s working for me. Tripoli Maryland is located at Clarksville, MD. That’s about 71 miles.
Here’s the Tripoli page that allows you to contact the Prefect, but they haven’t placed a link to their website, so it’s just a stub.
http://www.tripoli.org/Prefectures/mapID/38/hsid/0/shsc/True

solid_fuel

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There is a low power only (at the moment) NAR club that launches in the Lancaster area. SPAAR. They are working to find a replacement High power launch site now. Some of the launch sites are 1/2 hour from York. MDRA while not super close is about 90mins to 2 hours from York. They are independent rocket group with ties to TRA and NAR and have a decent high power waiver.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I just tried it and it’s working for me. Tripoli Maryland is located at Clarksville, MD. That’s about 71 miles.
Here’s the Tripoli page that allows you to contact the Prefect, but they haven’t placed a link to their website, so it’s just a stub.
http://www.tripoli.org/Prefectures/mapID/38/hsid/0/shsc/True
Tripoli MD sort of morphed into MDRA some years ago. I believe Neil McIlvray is still technically the prefect, but he seems to be drifting out of rocketry. Anyway, there are TAPs at MDRA, and you can still get Tripoli certs there.

You're looking at about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive. We have lots of folks come down from PA, east and west. http://mdrocketry.org/

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Tripoli MD sort of morphed into MDRA some years ago. I believe Neil McIlvray is still technically the prefect, but he seems to be drifting out of rocketry. Anyway, there are TAPs at MDRA, and you can still get Tripoli certs there.

You're looking at about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive. We have lots of folks come down from PA, east and west. http://mdrocketry.org/
Scott Szympruch is listed as the current Prefect of Tripoli Maryland.

DavidMcCann

Reaction score
Dunno about flying rockets, but I know the Chief of staff in York. Not sure how the city's doing but there's a ton of amazing food down there...

gabby8891

Habitual Tree Finder
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful information! I found that MDRA has a high altitude waiver (at least for part of the year). I may drive the two hours for some of my larger projects. Lancaster may be an option for small rockets when I don't have all day to devote to a launch. Thanks, again!

Latest posts