looking for a new ISP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
Who is a good ISP, that I can access from almost anywhere? During my short stay (3 days) in the hospital a few weeks ago, I just about went nuts with nothing to do. I kept thinking about my upcoming surgery next month, being in the hospital for at least 5 days, then still being limited on movement when I come home, and ended up getting a laptop. I should have checked my ISP first. They don't have access numbers outside of the local area, or a toll free number. So, I'm looking for a good ISP, that covers a good area of the country. Has anyone used People PC? What about some other suggestions (but not AOL). I'd like to keep from dealing with any that require specialized browsers, software, ect. Oh, and I use dial up connections.

Have not used Peoples PC but after my 6 months with AOL I went with Net Zero been using it for 8 months with no complaints.

My wife and I have each been using Earthlink/Mindspring for about 6 years now, and have been very satisfied with our service. They are national, have dialups everywhere, have 1-800 dialup service if you are out in a remote area without a local POP, and have reasonable rates. They also have xDSL service if you ever decide to upgrade (which I also recommend).

WW

I have had AOL for years. I also have NETZERO (1 year) and love it more than AOL. If AOL had mail forwarding I would dump it but I have to many customers that have my AOL address so i keep them both.

After doing a lot of research, looking at Netscape, AT&T, BellSouth, Net Zero, Earthlink, Juno, and Yahoo SBC, none of them have access numbers for my area (very rural). None of the local companies in my area have toll free access numbers. My current ISP, which is a division of my local telephone company, only has access numbers in their service area, which doesn't even include the city where my hospital visit will be (25 minutes away). The only company offering a local access number, and with service just about any where I will want it, is People PC. I guess I can give them a try, after all, the first 30 days is free.

I have been using ISP.com for six months, no problems. They don't have a designated browser, and seem to have numbers clear across the country. I can't promise they have a local access number in your area, though, if no one else does.

Peace,
Mike

Unless you just REALLY hate AOL, which I would completely understand, you might want to try Compuserve. They are owned by aol and are the exact same thing with a different name, but you can get the first month free followed by 2 months @ 5 bucks per month to try them out. The only other positive is that they probably have a local access # where you are.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

I've had People PC at home for a little over a year now, no problems at all. I haven't had any trouble getting a connection, or keeping it. I'm pretty happy with them, haven't tried more than two or three of the other providers, but they are the best that I have used up to this point.

Originally posted by mtmind
I have been using ISP.com for six months, no problems. They don't have a designated browser, and seem to have numbers clear across the country. I can't promise they have a local access number in your area, though, if no one else does.

Peace,
Mike

I'd never heard of isp.com, until now. After checking them out, it sounds like a good deal. They've got three numbers listed for my area, plus, four for the town where I'll be in the hospital. They've got a downloadable list of ALL of their access numbers, which none of the others offer (without doing it by area codes). The only thing not offered, is a free trial period (big deal, 12.95/month). I think I'll give them a try. THANKS!!

You could also spend a few extra $ and put your money into a local ISP...support the local economy. Of couse, I shouldn't be talking, I have verizon ADSL right now....but it's the only broadband I can get out here.

Back