Looking for a launch site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reed Goodwin

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am interested in finding some folks who launch at a pretty big field (able to handle L-impulse and 5500' flights) and are in the general vicinity of Raleigh, NC. I know about Orangeburg and Bayboro, but what else is in the area, say within 5-6 hours?
Thanks a bunch,
Reed

I believe (if im following the NC rockets correctly) he is looking for an actual field to fly from, IE to continue a club.

Ben

P.S. MDRA!! WO WO!! lol MOOO, MOOO, MOOO :roll:
Not quite. I am in fact looking for a group to fly with, pending whatever happens with Bayboro. I'm on a USLI team at NC State and we're hoping to find a launch on either the 27/28 of Feb. or the 6/7 of Mar. in case the field at Bayboro becomes unusable.
Reed

There is a https://www.novaar.org/ launch on March 5, but that field is limited to J and below impulse with a 4500' waiver. GoogleMaps claims about 5 hours from downtown Raleigh to Old Tavern, VA.

That wouldn't let you do "full impulse" testing but you could at least test fly on a J (or below) motor.

Not quite. I am in fact looking for a group to fly with, pending whatever happens with Bayboro. I'm on a USLI team at NC State and we're hoping to find a launch on either the 27/28 of Feb. or the 6/7 of Mar. in case the field at Bayboro becomes unusable.
Reed

Have you thought about joining the "Battle of the Rockets" at BattlePark VA?
The competition is closed for this year, but you might want to check into next year. I believe they still offer cash prizes.

Here's the BotR home page

And the host site BattlePark VA

There is a https://www.novaar.org/ launch on March 5, but that field is limited to J and below impulse with a 4500' waiver. GoogleMaps claims about 5 hours from downtown Raleigh to Old Tavern, VA.

That wouldn't let you do "full impulse" testing but you could at least test fly on a J (or below) motor.

I don't want to start a fight but for what you are looking to do I wouldn't consider NOVAAR. The field isn't there for what you want to do and they just don't have the setup. NOVAAR would be the place I would go for a tight run launch and competition advice. not an HPR experimental launch.

Ben

I don't want to start a fight but for what you are looking to do I wouldn't consider NOVAAR. The field isn't there for what you want to do and they just don't have the setup. NOVAAR would be the place I would go for a tight run launch and competition advice. not an HPR experimental launch.

Ben

Ben, he's said they want to launch on weekends where there are no other launches than NOVAAR. They can stay home those days and cry and whine about how unfair life is or they can fly within the constraints of the NOVAAR field. Totally up to them.

Ben, he's said they want to launch on weekends where there are no other launches than NOVAAR. They can stay home those days and cry and whine about how unfair life is or they can fly within the constraints of the NOVAAR field. Totally up to them.

Very true! I would rather fly than whine personally :p

I DO have some C6-3's and a few models left Ill have to bring up there sometimes

Ben

Back