cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Guys,

I used to buy Chi Chi's Hot Salsa. It is spicy but not too spicy. I can't find it anymore. Any suggestions?

UhClem

Reaction score
Make your own. My starting point, at least when I don't have fresh tomatoes, is this.

Rocket501

Reaction score
I'm currently eating my way through some Costco salsa. It comes in a two pack with one green and one red salsa. I just finished the green and it both quite good and quite cheap.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm currently eating my way through some Costco salsa. It comes in a two pack with one green and one red salsa. I just finished the green and it both quite good and quite cheap.
Might have to try them.

neil_w

Hunkered down
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
There are many, many, different salsas that I have enjoyed in my life. But I must sheepishly admit that I have long been partial to Tostito's Medium. For me it's just the right chunkiness, just the right heat, not too watery.

Cl(VII)

Chris Bender, Lab Rat
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Clint’s is pretty good and easy to find around here, but I don’t know how far their reach is.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
The Costco salsa is actually pretty good, especially if you are just using it for a corn chip dip. It's supposedly all organic. It has a bit of sugar in it, which normally I don't like, but it's just a hint. The one near me also carries Mateo's salsa, which is a step up. (https://mateossalsa.com)

For something a bit different, also available at Costco, is Herdez guacamole salsa. It's made with tomatillos instead of red tomatoes, and of course, avocados. It's more commercial and less all natural than the two above, but it's very good with salty corn chips.

Tony

Last edited:

swatkat

Down these mean skies, a kat must fly!
Reaction score
If you don't make your own (we usually do), then Renfro's brand mango habanero is really good. It's hard to find good fresh mangoes out of season, and theirs is just enough sweet and just enough heat. It's tasty.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
Kroger sells Chi Chi salsa. Looks like a few of them near you. Ask them to order it if your local stores don't normally stock it.

Rocket501

Reaction score
Herdez green is my favorite canned salsa. I think fresh is better, but it is what I bring car camping and have in my pantry.

Mugs914

"We got both kinds, country AND western!!"
Reaction score
Herdez red is really good too. It is our go-to sto'-bought. I like the hot, but it comes in medium and mild too, for those of a more sensitive palette...

BBrown

Kloudbuster Prefect
Reaction score
I’ve got one you should try. Check our Sarah Jane Salsa https://www.sarahjanesalsa.com/. A local business located in downtown Argonia, Kansas, Shane and Sarah have been making salsa’s for a number of years and this past August debuted “Rocket Fuel” just before LDRS 38.
It been a tradition down on the rocket pasture for a group of us to unwind after the days activities by snacking on chips and salsa and washing it all down with a cold beverage or two. For those of you who have never been to Argonia, it is a very small rural town with close ties to farming. To have a business like this in this town is almost unheard of and we actively support them. These are really good people making a really good product. You should try some.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
If you don't make your own (we usually do), then Renfro's brand mango habanero is really good. It's hard to find good fresh mangoes out of season, and theirs is just enough sweet and just enough heat. It's tasty.
With respect, I have to strongly disagree. First, it has too much sugar. Any sugar is too much (this is *salsa*, not Kool-Aid). Second, it's cooked (elsa, how could you buy it six months later and not have a layer of blue fur on top?).

Mango salsa-
(I am using jalapeno peppers rather than habanero; they have better taste, but use what you want)

1 - 12oz can diced mangos
1 - 12 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatos
1 medium red onion
juice of one lime
2 medium jalapeno peppers or one habanero
Sriracha
salt to taste

Open and thoroughly drain both cans. The mango juice goes well with a drop of rum. Remove outer papers from onion and grate on large opening of box grater. Trim stems from jalapenos, split one and remove seeds and middle web. Finely dice both jalapeno peppers. Mix everything in a glass or plastic bowl (or non-reactive stainless). Salt to taste. This gives you chunky salsa.
For smoother salsa, but with chunks (what I like), reserve about half of mixed salsa. Blend other half in food processor. Mix back with reserved.
The heat from chili peppers comes from the seeds and inner membrane. Take it all out for mild. Leave it all in for hot. You can always make it hotter, but if it's too hot, you're stuck.
In this recipe, I like to use Sriracha to improve heat because the vinegar adds tartness and acidity (other salsa recipies I use cayenne pepper). This has enough acid to keep for several weeks in fridge. Like many foods, it will tase different hot to cold.

kyle

Space: mostly nothing, partially stars
Reaction score
The Herdez "Street Taco" line is pretty good. But Pace Medium Picante Sauce is what I grew up on. Mrs Renfro's Habenero if you like heat.

David J

Reaction score
I like simple recipes.
1 can of Rotel (your choice in heat)
1 large can of diced tomatoes
Add salt and lime juice to you taste.

Dump into the blender and pulse to your desired consistence.

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
Reaction score
Gimme a minute, I'm looking for my stepsister's recipe... IT'S AWESOME!!! (She's a professional Chef). She's one of the people you'll see on the local (Portland, Oregon) morning TV news magazine programs cooking those meals you wish you had the skills to do.

1 Medium Tomato
1/4 C Red Onion
squeeze of Lime
Cumin
Salt
1/4 C Cilantro

Add Avacodo for Guac.

Word of warning... Cumin powder smells like *REALLY* ripe body odor. It literally made me think of my grandfather (a carpenter), who had spent a day in 100+ degree temperature roofing a house. So, don't be surprised if you suddenly think your spouse, friend, colleague, self forgot to shower (for a month). My mom was making it once, and I walked in the room. We both looked at each other like, "Are you nose blind? Damn! You need to take a shower!" Then we realized it was the cumin. We laugh about that to this day.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I’ve got one you should try. Check our Sarah Jane Salsa https://www.sarahjanesalsa.com/. A local business located in downtown Argonia, Kansas, Shane and Sarah have been making salsa’s for a number of years and this past August debuted “Rocket Fuel” just before LDRS 38.
It been a tradition down on the rocket pasture for a group of us to unwind after the days activities by snacking on chips and salsa and washing it all down with a cold beverage or two. For those of you who have never been to Argonia, it is a very small rural town with close ties to farming. To have a business like this in this town is almost unheard of and we actively support them. These are really good people making a really good product. You should try some.
Thanks. I will give it a try.

hobie1dog

Hi-Fi Nut
Reaction score
typical thread of 20 replies/20 different answers...lol

On The Border-Medium is usually not too hard to find in grocery stores, if you have been to their restaurants.

NateB

Reaction score
Herdez guacamole salsa. It's made with tomatillos instead of red tomatoes, and of course, avocados.
Herdez green is my favorite canned salsa. I think fresh is better, but it is what I bring car camping and have in my pantry.
I like to make pulled pork with either of these jarred salsas in the instant pot for quick and easy tacos. Just use some of the salsa with a couple pounds of pork butt, cook, then add more when you pull the pork.

For red salsa, I usually just make my own. Even canned tomatoes work. Tomatoes, garlic, onion, serrano peppers, salt, cilantro, cumin, and lime. Maybe a lunch of sugar if the tomatoes are too acidic, but I always try them first. I don't want salsa to be sweet.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I can’t wait to buy a smoker this summer. I want to make some Brisket.

KILTED COWBOY

Reaction score
When you get ready to start doing brisket. Give me a shout. I have been smoking brisket for over 30 years.
That's Texas brisket. Cattle is king out here. I can help you with some tricks of the trade.

Jmhepworth

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When you look at smokers, don’t overlook “The Good One” brand. I’ve got the Marshall and it puts out a lot of meat. It’s not as convenient as the pellet grills (it uses lump charcoal), but man does it smoke meat well.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got one you should try. Check our Sarah Jane Salsa https://www.sarahjanesalsa.com/. A local business located in downtown Argonia, Kansas,
I am sure it is great, just that Kansas is not exactly a place I would think of for salsa.

I hear Dorothy saying, “I guess we aren’t in Mehico anymore, Toto!”

H_Rocket

Death by Powerpoint
Reaction score
When you get ready to start doing brisket. Give me a shout. I have been smoking brisket for over 30 years.
That's Texas brisket. Cattle is king out here. I can help you with some tricks of the trade.
Did my first brisket a few weeks ago. Got introduced to “the stall”. Living in Texas, I need to figure this out.