Looking for a good kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlin

Reaction score
Hello everyone it has been a long time since my last post. I just finished a tango papa lander and it came out pretty good and am working on a mountianside redstone, that is close to completion, and will be looking for something to build during the summer months, anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks mark aka marlin

Depends on what "floats your boat" - there are just too many kits and ideas to mention. Since you posted this in Mid-Power I am assuming you want something to build in Mid-Power. How about:

AT Sumo
PML Pterodactyl Jr.
Cosmodrome Nike Smoke
LOC Starburst
US Rockets Banshee
BSD 3" Horizon

Just to name a few...

Thanks Bruce, I will check those out, I have traditionally built low power stuff, mainly Estes, but want to go a little bigger. The few kits I have built in this group remind of the kits when I was a kid with a lot of balsa, I like to work w/ balsa. Any web sites you can suggest would be helpfull.
Thanks,
Mark aka marlin

Do you want to build from a kit, or scratch? I can send you a rocksim file for a solar sailer with your choice of body tube sizes and engine configurations.

Hi DJ,
That would be great! I have never really built anything from scratch except for those paper towel big bertha look alikes when I was a kid!
Thanks, Mark aka marlin.

Ok, what size? Outer body tube number and motor size, or for clusters whether you want the outer or inner tube to hold the mount.

And do *do* have Rocksim version 7, yes? The program I wrote produces the basic rocksim file; you still need to add the dowel struts (find a picture) and parachute, so it's basically a starting point for true scratch building.

Hi DJ
ok, unfortunatlly I do not have a rocksim program, at the risk of sounding silly where would I get one? then I suppose I could give you dimensions i was thinking along the line of a F w/ a inner tube to hold the mount, maybe a 65mm body tube. that sound ok. What do you think? (new at this scratch built stuff :confused: )
Thanks Mark :)

Ok, here's a BT-80/BT-60 version with a 29mm mount, total length 102" weight about 16oz without engine. Rocksim is at https://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim.asp

I haven't programmed it to add the birch dowels, which are required, and for longer models I suggest having the rocket split just forward of the inner tube (so you can transport it) but the program doesn't do that for you either. Search for my "solar sailer 3" thread for a photo of what it should look like complete.

I usually tweak the models before building them anyway - the program is mostly to get the custom fins right and set up the BT lengths. Oh, and to play with engines ;-)

Thanks for your help DJ!
I will let you know how I make out.
Mark:)

I thought that was an impressive list of rockets you have there, as in skill level and all, so I wanted to recommend Apogee's Saturn 1b or Saturn V. You could also do the Estes Saturn V if you can find one!

Jason

Sound like you like kits that are a little more challenging than the average 3FNC.... You might check out kits for The Launch Pad. They offer a faily wide variety of scale missle kits that are builder's kits. Check out their reviews on EMRR. I have build a few of them and they are great! Light enough to fly on Estes D's but stout enough to take an AT F-21 or larger if you change out the motor mount.

I haven't programmed it to add the birch dowels,

Ok, I worked on the software a bit. Here's a 80/70 29mm plan with all the dowels added (and some bugs in the ribs fixed).

You could put a cluster of 3 24mm mounts in this one :)

Would a scale model of this missile interest you???
Suggested motor is an E9-4, but a D12 will work, and it has a pre-weighted cone that should work fine for most F motors and possibly a gentle-thrusting lightweight G.

For kit details and a few small pics of the real thing, go to

www.vincenthobbies.com

Chris Timm

Mark

At the risk of being run outta town as a thread hijacker, where do you fly? If you are not already coming, I want to invite you to a launch with CATO. During the summer we fly at White's field in Durham (Durham Fair). 20 min tops from Cromwell.

I live in Rocky Hill and if you want to see Rocksim, drop me a note (PM or E-Mail) and we can hook up.

Al

P.S. In answer to your question

Cosmodrome Nilke Apache **
Aerotech Sumo***
Aerotech Warthog***
PML Mini BBX****

HI AL I will PM you w/ all the details wow you are right down the street!
Mark aka marlin

Back