looked underpowered...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just one big one...
i tried to fit some more in but the tubes are too small.

the orbital transport is supposed to use single, 18mm b6-4 or c6-5 motors, though i think those are too small.
that's an Estes E9-6 loaded up in her
:D

Elapid ,
luckly I have 2 stashed away.. need something to harden all that balsa tho, anything to help the durability factor,
please post any specs you come up with(noseweight,cp,cg ect..)
it's a builders kit ,,I'm sure you found that out

the kit-supplied C-Grain balsa is stout!
i don't think it will need any more strengthening for D/E-power
now, an RMS motor...
i could be wrong...

i can't find any information about cg/cp anywhere so far and will most likely finish the bird and put the stock MMT pieces in place with a c6-5 and see where the stock CG is, then add nose weight to compensate with the larger motors.

unless i can find published data.

thing's gotta be a nightmare to try to program into rocksim with fins coming from everywhere!
:eek:

Yikes! :eek:

Take some pics of the launch, might be the last time you see it! :p

i think i'll just fly it on C11s
or else, bring binoculars!

i think that's a great call, shrox!
i think i will use some epoxy to make the glider mount as solid as possible.

i'll take some pics when it's done and video the launch.
i won't be flying it at my local field, maybe Lucerne, or some other desert location.

Hey Elapid, that looks interesting...if you want to try D's or E's, I would think about adding 3" to 6" of extra body tube to the front of the booster and maybe small amount of nose weight. As it is, on Ds or Es, I see a big GROUND LOOP coming! Good Luck!!! You seem to always be pushing the envelope!!! We all benefit from that!!!:D

without KNOWING that the CG is acceptably in front of the CP and that it will be going fast enough to fly when it leaves the launch rod.

i am positive if i flew it now, i'd want something to stand under.
:)

as i mentioned in my earlier post, i'm going to be sure the CG is in the stock location with the motors loaded as ready to fly.

i think i'll put 1/4" launch lugs on it.
prolly take an ounce of lead in the nose to get it right, and that's the reason i haven't glued the nosecone yet.
;)

first i have to finish the glider and get it trimmed for flight.
then i gotta get it all painted. i figure with all the balsa fins to soak up paint, that will move the cg backward a bit, so it's a waste to balance it now...
when it's done, it may shred the fins, but it will be way up and vertical if/when it DOES.
i won't fly it unstable.
i promise.
i'll post the details as they are completed.

i flew my first OT in the '70s
i think it was dark blue.
either i never did care much for following paint schemes, or maybe that's just what i had.

thanks for the reply!
i DO love to push the envelope!
it's like i'm in a cage and i need to find out where the walls are.
then i try to figure out how the walls can be moved.

some sort of tracking transmitter or beeper might help locate the glider...

hahahha!

as IF i'll ever see it again...

you know how you'll be looking at something then all of a sudden figure something out?
well, looking at the OT, it seems obvious to me that the CG has to be in the center of the glider mounting area, otherwise when the glider left the booster, the CG would change dramatically and flight characteristics would suffer. that also makes the mass of the glider irrelevant as far as changing the stability of the completed rocket.

Originally posted by Elapid
just one big one...
i tried to fit some more in but the tubes are too small.

the orbital transport is supposed to use single, 18mm b6-4 or c6-5 motors, though i think those are too small.
that's an Estes E9-6 loaded up in her

Oh oops. I thought those other tubes underneath the wings were for motors.

Back