long rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
based on the RDS Star Quest...
lots of work left to do...the couplers will be reinforced with fiberglass or carbon fiber...i'll use full length couplers in the body tubes... dual deployment...38mm MMT

i will probably make it so i can fly with 1, 2 or 3 sections...

long.jpg

Nice :D

The fins seem a bit big however. Sure you can't get away with something smaller?

I definetly agree with Blue... With something that long, you can get away with fins much smaller than that... Nice as they look, itll proabably be way overstable and weathercock a lot...

Nice lookin rocket, though! :)

looks nice
you could go with smaller fins, since its that long, but larger fins mean more stability, but weathercock like Neil says is the only downfall

https://www.rocketdynesys.com/star_quest.htm

there's some more information about the rocket, as requested.
if you have any design concerns, feel free to contact John Kerrigans [email protected] as he runs the show over at RDS.

btw, the body tubes are going to be cut down to bring the rocket back to stock dimensions.

this look slike a good idea for my next project!

Nebulous2.jpg

Elapid,

How is the service from RDS? I like their kits and the tubing prices are nice. Any comments. BTW - very nice rocket....What motor's will it see?

Edward

Excellent kits Edward...here is the 4" RDS Quasar that I have in my fleet:

Pre-beveled plywood fins
Strong kraft tubing w/ no glassine finish
u-bolt hardware
RWW Dist. nosecone (Public Enemy)
Rocket Rage parachute
etc....

The gentleman on my right, or the left of the pic is Tom Butler. This was taken at the experimental launch in Orangeburg, SC in Nov last year.

What does your rocket weigh vs. what RDS says the weight is?

Edward

Edward,

I built a "chunk"

with a 76mm 2-grain "J" it weighed in at nearly 18 pounds. with the 3-grain K777 it was topping 20 pounds.

sorry Elapid, no more hijacking...:D

Originally posted by edwardw
Elapid,

How is the service from RDS? I like their kits and the tubing prices are nice. Any comments. BTW - very nice rocket....What motor's will it see?

Edward

i haven't ordered one of their kits yet, though from the looks of their wares, it's not far off! I found the Star Quest plans when looking for something to do with the 8 - 2.6" LOC-style tubes i picked up on ebay. I was browsing the files on EMRR and liked what i saw...

not sure how much it will weigh after all's said and done, so that will affect motor selection.

Back