Long Overdue & paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacecowboy

Reaction score
I got Long Overdue (#28), and it looks like either :
1) a nice paint job before assembly without much fillets
2) a nice set of fillets, and a mundane paint job.

I'm all ears, I ordered myself Duece and LOD, and the wife said OK, so off that order goes !!!! Ready to either paint or assemble, I got most of the main BT put together tonight.
Thx

You can have both if you want. At least on the main tube fins. I covered the area where the tube fins touched the body tube and where the inside tube was glued to the main tube fin. 1/4" tape worked well. I painted the tubes first then glued them to the body tube and added the fillet. Then taped off the tube fins and painted the reat of the rocket. Hope this makes sence:confused: Oh, this was on my OverDue,( one of three flying) but should work the same on the Long OverDue ............Larry

I painted the insides of the fin tubes tonight, and it turned out to be pretty much a fuzzy mess. Do I sand it somehow, and try again with another coat of paint ????

I probably should have put this in the instructions... (next pass i hope :) )

But what I've found works is one of two methods:

1) Paint the interior with primer, sanding between coats, to get rid of the paper hairs

2) Do the same with thin CA glue, but *be quick*! I found a Q-Tip works great for this.

Either can be attempted even if you have already painted them, so long as you sand them down a bit to expose some of the surface and rough up the paint.

hope this helps!
jim

I also forgot to mention that I used primer first even inside the tubes. Anything that will seal up the cardboard before paint will help.......Larry

Try Kilz primer. It is very thick and seals well. I bet spray sand and respray will prep the inside of a tube with Kilz. Once or twice when I have wet sanded too agressively on the outside of a tube and raised fuzzies, I have coated that spot with thin CA and sanded it a little after curing. This works well for me.

"The Rocketry Forum"

"You've got questions? We've got answ....... Whoops! I think that slogan's taken... nuts! :)

Latest posts

Back