Long burn motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
I must admit to having an obsession with really long burn motors, like the old FSI F7'S.I never flew them but I heard they were interesting to fly with.Is there anything made today that compares to that? When I first started watching high power videos several years ago, it was the long duration motors that really gathered my attention, like the I65 and K250, using that one in a lighter rocket was really something to see.This was back when Earl Cagle was still producing videos for Point 39 Productions, I bought several of them back then.My favorite was the one from LDRS in 1992.That was the one with the DownRight Ignorant rocket, which at the time was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.Now I myself am limited to low power rockets but I would jump at the chance to go bigger, but I doubt that"s ever gonna happen, no way I can afford that.Oh well.

Apogee sells E6-8 and F10-8. My understanding is they are a private label version of a product AeroTech used to sell under its own brand, but I could be wrong.

AeroTech sells G12-P, H13-P and I40-P motors.

CSI has some interesting long-burn motors that will work well in small, light rockets, but won't be competitive for pure apogee in a purpose-built rocket if you're going for the record book.

Apogee sells E6-8 and F10-8. My understanding is they are a private label version of a product AeroTech used to sell under its own brand, but I could be wrong.

That is correct and 35 a motor plus hazmat.

CSI has some interesting long-burn motors that will work well in small, light rockets, but won't be competitive for pure apogee in a purpose-built rocket if you're going for the record book.

I think those motors [edit: specifically the Aerotech motors that were listed. I know nothing about the other 2 manufacturer's options. /edit] are intended mostly for gliders, but I imagine there are plenty of people who could design a proper rocket for them. I saw an H13 fly this past weekend with an RC glider and it was a VERY long burn.

Sandy.

Last edited:

Are those end burn configuration? I'm not really concerned with high altitudes but I would really like to see some of these fly.What's the dimensions on those E's and F's from Apogee?Now the G's and H's I probably wouldn't have any use for since I don't fly high power, but maybe the E's and F's at some point.

You may want to consider just looking at their website.
Yep, probably will, now that my curiosity's been piqued.Looking for a little more of a challenge than being relegated to the same old Estes bottle rockets.Would probably have to find a bigger field out of state anyway cuz I can't do it here anymore.

There's also the d2.3, if you really want a challenge.
An NCR Cluster Duck could take a few of those things and rely on the central 24mm motor for ejection. I’m thinking that’s how I might get C3.4Ts in the air (eventually). Ideally I could borrow a few casings for this, I don’t want to buy 6 of them if I can avoid it.

My understanding is that the E6 and F10 motors are manufactured by AT for Apogee, but have always been only Apogee products produced under contract.

What's the dimensions on those E's and F's from Apogee?
The E6 is 24×77 mm (close enough to the same as Estes D12s) and the F10 is 29×92 mm. The F10 has a glorious 7 second burn and enough thrust initially to get a rocket off the pad even if it's not extraordinarily light. Combining it with a pair of D12 strap-on boosters would be freakin' awesome.

Come down to SC ICBM launch where research motors are allowed. Next one is Feb 11-12 weather permitting. Keep up to date on the group https://www.facebook.com/groups/rocketrysouthcarolina/ or www.rocketrysouthcarolina.org I will have 24 mm motors with me and rockets loaded with 18, 24, and a single 54 mm motors. The 24 mm ones are these.
I went down twice this past year and hope to make it back once the weather warms up as 55° is the lowest I can go outside and still breathe.

I've been making research long burn motors and I still do. 18 mm, 3.5 sec, 24 mm, 5 sec, 38 mm 7 sec, 54 mm, 10 sec, 98 mm, 17 sec.
CTI has a very slow propellant with about the same burn times as my motors called Mellow. here's the 38 mm http://www.pro38.com/products/pro38/motor.php if you can get them.
Goblin on N800

I don't know how many times I've gotten to see you fly cool rockets, but that video is awesome! I always love the big Deuce, but long burn motors are like a perfect guitar or drum solo, every second they go longer than 'typical' motors builds a feeling of euphoria.

Sandy.

I don't know how many times I've gotten to see you fly cool rockets, but that video is awesome! I always love the big Deuce, but long burn motors are like a perfect guitar or drum solo, every second they go longer than 'typical' motors builds a feeling of euphoria.

Sandy.
The Deuce has flown on long burn motors, both Rx and CTI K160s and Aerotech K185 and K270.
Here is the onboard with CTI K160s to 4400'

Last edited:
I've also been working on D grains in 18 mm (3.5 sec) and 24 mm (5 sec) up through F in 18 mm and G in 24 mm. See https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/18-mm-motors.158722/ for the development of these motors. Lots of trial and error. Had to develop new propellants, Kn, and propellant geometries from scratch. Also had problems with old propellant chemicals and epoxy curative. There are videos linked into the thread.

Back