Loki vs Aerotech. What is the most cost effective in the long run.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdog13

Reaction score
Looking to get an H or I capable case from either Aerotech or Loki. My launch site has no vendors, so most of my reloads will be purchased online. Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

While I myself would choose Loki if I "could only have one", there is an odd reason that Aerotech could be more cost effective in the long run......sales, blowouts, and people selling off their stock when/if they leave the hobby. The fact is that Aerotech has a much larger market share than Loki. Which means that dealers may often run sales of overstock, or they can afford to have seasonal/promotional sales now and then, and sometimes they either go out of business or scale back which may mean a big blowout. And then there are the folks who inevitably stock up way too much, and at some point are either forced to sell of some of their stash, or they leave or take a break from the hobby....which again leads to some killer deals to be had. This applies to hardware and reloads by the way. If you are smart about it, you could fly Aerotech all the time and never pay retail. (there are perhaps reasons that this is not the best way to go about things "for the hobby", but that's another discussion).

If you go strictly by retail pricing (including hazmat/shipping), I'm not sure there's that much of a difference in the long run. But if you shop sales and blowouts, you will find way more Aerotech offerings over time. Not that you can't find some sweet/smoking deals on Loki stuff if you are patient and ready, but it's a fact that they don't come by nearly as often.

Again though.....if the monetary factor was equal, I myself would choose Loki most every time. Love their product, GREAT stuff, and I like doing business with them. Nothing wrong with giving Aerotech your dollars mind you...they's good folk too, and they definitely make a quality product. It's all good.

s6

It depends on what diameter motor you are looking to fly. If you need to purchase your motors online you will have to pay hazmat fees on Aerotech 38mm reloads, so those aren't a great option. That leaves Loki 38mm motors and AT 29mm as your options. AT 29mm is definitely the cheaper of the two, but the motors stop at around 320 Ns (barely an I) and the hardware is just as expensive as Loki. Loki really shines in the 200-500 Ns range, but if you are more interested in smaller L1 motors AT is the way to go. I fly both and can't complain about either. My avatar is a picture of the Loki 38-480 I405, which is an awesome motor that people usually bring up in discussions like this one.

It depends on what diameter motor you are looking to fly. If you need to purchase your motors online you will have to pay hazmat fees on Aerotech 38mm reloads, so those aren't a great option. That leaves Loki 38mm motors and AT 29mm as your options. AT 29mm is definitely the cheaper of the two, but the motors stop at around 320 Ns (barely an I) and the hardware is just as expensive as Loki. Loki really shines in the 200-500 Ns range, but if you are more interested in smaller L1 motors AT is the way to go. I fly both and can't complain about either. My avatar is a picture of the Loki 38-480 I405, which is an awesome motor that people usually bring up in discussions like this one.

Well I definitely want 38mm because when I get a lv2 someday I can use those rockets on 38mm J motors. Looks like Loki is the best for me. Thanks

Id argue the least expensive is the one that the dealer on your field carries - no shipping or hazmat.

H and I? No brainer. Loki is almost all non hazmat, AT only has a few

At 29/40-120 for E-G, Loki for G-I. Lots & lots of good, relatively inexpensive flights w/ no HazMat.

New guy here, but the first hardware I decided to go with was Loki.
1) No hazmat shipping on the motors I'm starting with.
2) I liked the way the hardware was put together.
3) Supporting local(ish) business.

I suspect however, that as I continue in this hobby I will have a "little" of everything. Just my .02 cent

I have almost all the AT stuff up through 54, and have recently started flying some Loki. I really wish I had started with Loki. That said, the AT 24/40 and 29/40-120 cases are great.

As was mentioned above, AT goes on sale on Black Friday where Loki does not. If you are going to stock up then AT will be cheaper, but the Loki motors are just awesome.

Loki motors are more difficult to clean in that you actually have to clean the rear nozzle. AT nozzles get chucked in the trash. The Loki nozzles also have to be replaced in time. Loki does make some killer motors though.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Loki motors are more difficult to clean in that you actually have to clean the rear nozzle. AT nozzles get chucked in the trash. The Loki nozzles also have to be replaced in time. Loki does make some killer motors though.

No threads to clean, though.

In the 75mm line I no longer own AT hdw. Loki has some great loads. AT has a few for each case, CTI has a multitude of choices for each case size. (Supplies are limited now)
AT and CTI are the most affordable and come with a nozzle. ALL can be burned in a snap-case, (The CTI loads are certified in snap ring cases with the approved case.)
The AT and CTI loads are more economical as for $/newton.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Don't forget Loki doesn't come with a starter. Adds to the cost a tad, about 2 to 3 dollars a load. No big thing but don't forget them. :facepalm: We are fortunate to have a vendor that sales AT, CTI, and Loki. If you have no vendor on site, then Loki is the way to go in 38mm since most ship without HazMat. HazMat quickly digs into your motor funds. But if you make a large order or get several from your club together to make a group order, it knocks down on shipping cost. Simple price tag price, availability, sales, discounts, etc..Aerotech is cheaper. I have only flown one Loki. The h125 cocktail. I only have the 38/120 and 28/240 case. In Aerotech I have tons of hardware. I got them all used or at a steep discount. Loki doesn't really go on sale or get sold used by rocketeers.

One other thing to consider is that Loki makes loads geared more towards performance. That may be what you want or not. AT has more "effects loads" such a dark matters and smokeys. I prefer AT mostly because I enjoy flying 29mm more than 38mm and my rockets are starting to all lean towards the smaller motors. Not sure what I'd do if Loki made 29mm, I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that though. I don't think Scott wants anything to do with 29mm.

Don't forget Loki doesn't come with a starter. Adds to the cost a tad, about 2 to 3 dollars a load. No big thing but don't forget them. :facepalm: We are fortunate to have a vendor that sales AT, CTI, and Loki. If you have no vendor on site, then Loki is the way to go in 38mm since most ship without HazMat. HazMat quickly digs into your motor funds. But if you make a large order or get several from your club together to make a group order, it knocks down on shipping cost. Simple price tag price, availability, sales, discounts, etc..Aerotech is cheaper. I have only flown one Loki. The h125 cocktail. I only have the 38/120 and 28/240 case. In Aerotech I have tons of hardware. I got them all used or at a steep discount. Loki doesn't really go on sale or get sold used by rocketeers.

Now there's a point worth thinking about for a minute......
If I where in your shoes,, no brainer...
Aerotech for 29's and down..
Loki for 38's and up....
The amount of Non haz Loki loads makes this question no contest if you don't have a local dealer..

Teddy

+1 to what Teddy posted on 38mm

when you get LVL2 loki 38/1200 case has a 5 loads vs AT 38/1320 1 load

Loki for 38's and up....
The amount of Non haz Loki loads makes this question no contest if you don't have a local dealer..

Teddy

Thanks

One other thing to consider is that Loki makes loads geared more towards performance. That may be what you want or not. AT has more "effects loads" such a dark matters and smokeys. I prefer AT mostly because I enjoy flying 29mm more than 38mm and my rockets are starting to all lean towards the smaller motors. Not sure what I'd do if Loki made 29mm, I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that though. I don't think Scott wants anything to do with 29mm.

I agree. For me it's more about the variety and AT has that. When I jump into 75mm, I will probably go Loki. Or Gorilla if they make a strong come back. Especially once I figure out how AT and CTI can be flown in snap ring cases.

Loki for 38's and up....

Teddy

Yep...good stuff. I have seen very little used for sale since I got into HPR.

+1 to what Teddy posted on 38mm

when you get LVL2 loki 38/1200 case has a 5 loads vs AT 38/1320 1 load

Yeah but the AT 38/360 has eleven loads, add a spacer and you can fly the six 38/240 loads as well.

Last edited:
For what it's worth.....

I have found/bought a few things Loki on sale or at a discount. It's not like "deals" are non-existent for Loki bits. But they are much fewer and far between than compared to Aerotech for sure. Most of my Loki purchases (reloads and hardware) were at full retail though......and I was happy to pay it, and never once regretted it once that Loki-powered rocket was in the sky.

Aerotech? I'm honestly not sure if I ever once paid full retail for something. I probably did here and there a couple of times, but don't remember it. It's a simple fact that there are so often tons of deals, sales, discounts, yard-sales, used bits, tradeouts, etc. for Aerotech stuff (including Rouse, Dr. Rockets, etc.) that if you pay attention you could NEVER have to pay full pop if you don't want to.

And what about CTI? I'd say it's somewhere in between......not as many deals/discounts to be found as AT, but way more than Loki.

But again....they're ALL good, and all worth your money. Pay what you can afford (or maybe just a bit more than you can) for what's practically available to you, and have a blast flying them. But if could have only one....it would probably be Loki.

s6

Back