Loki Research 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loving Loki Research motors! The i405 makes a great booster motor for my two stage.

Darkstar I405.jpg

dhbarr said:
Any report back from ULA interns / Future Heavy?

All of the payloads deployed successfully and they were all recovered. To my knowledge, all six Loki Blue N-5400's performed flawlessly in the CTI 6gXL cases, as designed. There was however at least 1 other motor that I am aware of which failed, but I will withhold further comment or speculation on what or why, as it is still very early. They have not even opened up the booster yet but will do so this week.

There will be lots of video to come from ULA, ground, drones and multiple on-board video which they will upload to YouTube. I am hoping that will happen by the end of the week. Those videos may answer a lot of questions.

Last edited:
Loving Loki Research motors! The i405 makes a great booster motor for my two stage.

View attachment 322767

I almost missed this one! Great photo there Drew. :) Thanks for posting it. I think you'll find there are several motors for the 38/480 Loki hardware that will make great booster motors. I-405LW, I-430LB & I-377CT should all work great.
Thanks for the kudos's above guys. :)
It was a stressfully short time frame I had to get all the tooling made, cast seven N reloads, static test one for verification, make six composite nozzles for the flight motors and deliver them all. It was exactly 60 days between the time I sent the acceptance letter to ULA and FedEx picking up the delivery. That's about 138lbs of propellant.

Wow.....and that was on top of everything else going on both at work and at home.

All of the payloads deployed successfully and they were all recovered. To my knowledge, all six Loki Blue N-5400's performed flawlessly in the CTI 6gXL cases, as designed. There was however at least 1 other motor that I am aware of which failed, but I will withhold furth<script id="gpt-impl-0.740541609317154" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_121.js"></script>er comment or speculation on what or why, as it is still very early. They have not even opened up the booster yet but will do so this week.

There will be lots of video to come from ULA, ground, drones and multiple on-board video which they will upload to YouTube. I am hoping that will happen by the end of the week. Those videos may answer a lot of questions.

I was lucky and was able to see this launch. It was pretty cool. And Scott's motors kicked ass!

Tony

heavy.jpg

Last edited:
L-1040 Loki Red pushing my 3" Darkstar to 13,860 AGL @ Mach 1.3. Rocket was safely recovered 2 miles from the pad about 2 feet from the edge of a swamp. Sim was 14,115 AGL @ Mach 1.29.

35568615025_1e1bc8a11d_b.jpg

L-1400 Loki White pushing my 54mm MD Carbon Fiber Tomach to, not sure! Rocket is 1.3 miles from the pad hanging in a tree, so no altimeter data to analyze. TeleGPS telemetry reported 17,197' AGL. Sim was just under 18K in the Mach 1.8 range.

Wow Michael..
On a mach 1.8 flight to 18K
you get REALLY accurate on the sims....
How do you get so close ??
I know I just use one sim program and I shouldn't..
Insanely cool flight Michael..
The cocktails have quickly moved right on up my list of coolest loads around...
My buddy Steve M had a picture perfect level 3 cert flight on a M 1650 Cocktail...
What a beautiful load,, just gorgeous...
I saw your minimum D flight on the L 1400 LW...
I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seek anything just rock like that...
It wasn't just the thrust to weight,, I've seen that before...
It was the duration of the burn and the thrust to weight...
Just rockin...

Teddy

you get REALLY accurate on the sims....How do you get so close ?? I know I just use one sim program and I shouldn't

That was the 10th flight on that rocket so I had 9 other flights of data to draw from as a baseline. The sims have been remarkably close so far, and in this case the rocket did arc quite a bit which would easily account for any difference. Once I get the TeleGPS back I can track the flight path and compare it to the AGL. I use RockSim for anything expected sub transonic, but transonic and above I rely primarily on OpenRocket and RASAero.

I saw your minimum D flight on the L 1400 LW...
I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seek anything just rock like that...
It wasn't just the thrust to weight,, I've seen that before...
It was the duration of the burn and the thrust to weight...

Ah it was marginal :wink: close to 32:1, taking the thrust-time profile into consideration. Scott certainly knows how to mix a load.

Ha,,
a mere 32 to 1 huh...
That's my point..
You can get that with other propellants / loads...
For 1/3 to 1/2 a second...
Not for 2 seconds...
That was a rockin flight Michael...

Teddy

All of the payloads deployed successfully and they were all recovered. To my knowledge, all six Loki Blue N-5400's performed flawlessly in the CTI 6gXL cases, as designed. There was however at least 1 other motor that I am aware of which failed, but I will withhold further comment or speculation on what or why, as it is still very early. They have not even opened up the booster yet but will do so this week.

Scott, are going to certify those N-5400's? There is a lot of large CTI hardware around that is going hungry that you could feed. A very impressive looking motor.

Here's the video I took.

[video=youtube;eG_C1flGZXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG_C1flGZXA&amp;t=3s[/video]

Sure, but that would represent a large investment to get going. Scott is already making the motor for the CTI hardware.

I know, I just wanted to (gently) let Scott know some of us might be more interested in actual made by Loki 98mm hardware, rather than off label use of overpriced CTI stuff we don't currently own. I know it is a different market, and more work on his part, but it seemed (loosely) related... It's a long term wish list item, and I think Scott and I both know that.

Back