Loki Research 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red 38mm reloads are back in stock, along with the MONSTER 54mm L-2050 reloads, while they last.

Still no new news on the 54mm hardware. I'm very sorry.

Hi Scott. Any chance I could demo the 54/4000 Red at BALLS? I'll pay cost. I ordered my Mongoose 54 with a 50" lower section to fit that casing.

Hi Scott. Any chance I could demo the 54/4000 Red at BALLS? I'll pay cost. I ordered my Mongoose 54 with a 50" lower section to fit that casing.

It will be certified by then, maybe even before the spring Red Glare. (hint hint MDRA)
You'll be able to stage it to a 38/1200 red by then too if you want. ;-)

I wasn't wanting to say anything and create mass hysteria, but the TMT propellant for these was cast with that last batch of red. I still have to get the instructions done before sending them in, some time the beginning of next year. Before anyone asks how soon they can purchase them..... I don't know. Even after they get sent in, it all depends of TMT's testing schedule which is out of my control. What I can tell you is that the test loads for the 54/4000 have 2,550g of red propellant. You do the math ;-)

Have a great weekend all.

Any chance we'll see a 54 Cocktail load sometime (preferably the 54/2800)?

David

I need to pick up a 54/1600 because I have a Madcow Screech that I got for BF with a 54mm hole...

That classic white propellant is wicked. I love it. Now to save my pennies for the 75/8000...

I need to pick up a 54/1600 because I have a Madcow Screech that I got for BF with a 54mm hole...

That classic white propellant is wicked. I love it. Now to save my pennies for the 75/8000...

Incentive......

Mark Cole's Broken Arrow 5 XP (almost 10 foot tall) on an M-3000 Loki White.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/v/t1.0-9/12004879_409037762619046_567329391692210408_n.jpg?oh=3a230706088bcc36682124717ff9fb3c&oe=5715CE07

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11988579_409037759285713_4204780342504232453_n.jpg?oh=18eea3e314f97ef02afa8cf5e05e9943&oe=56DE550A

Last edited:
LMAO, thanks Mike. It's the long hours catching up with me I think. I got home from the shop at 2AM Thursday night/Friday morning. Yesterday I left the house at 7:30AM and got home at midnight. I got 86 more lbs of that high Isp white cast up yesterday. All 54mm and some 38's. I'm pooped today.

Thank you so much for your hard work Scott....
Mike,,
I couldn't agree with you more....
I burned an M 1650 CT in my 4" scratch "SteamPunk" at Airfest.......
When I left that launch I was different...
I am now building a rocket around the 76 / 8000 case.........
( and the airfame is 3" ).......

Teddy

Scott,,
That pic is of the M 3000 LW ??????
In a 10 ft rocket ???
The white tail is almost as long as the rocket !!!!!!!!!

Hamina Hamina Hamina.....lol....

Teddy

I don't think grease breaks down an oring....gasoline does though. The oring has to seal for less than 10 seconds.

My concern would be a polar petroleum product in light of storing the loaded motor for a long period of time say like an extreme of a year. If assembling and firing right away, the pink grease is fine of course. Kurt

My concern would be a polar petroleum product in light of storing the loaded motor for a long period of time say like an extreme of a year. If assembling and firing right away, the pink grease is fine of course. Kurt

I've had zero issues with motors loaded for 3+years...just saying.

I've had zero issues with motors loaded for 3+years...just saying.

How the heck can you even stand that? If I had a loaded motor lurking in my basement ready to fly...I think I would be willing to drive a ridiculous number of miles just to fly it...lol

How the heck can you even stand that? If I had a loaded motor lurking in my basement ready to fly...I think I would be willing to drive a ridiculous number of miles just to fly it...lol

It was, um, found. I had loaded it for a college team a number of years back. They took it as a backup for the competition launch due to weather forecast(altitude concerns). It was put back in another guys motor box and he brought it to me. We both forgot about it. I flew it about a month ago. Turned out it was a red motor....few chuffs before it went. Took my gizmo to 4000ft.

It was, um, found. I had loaded it for a college team a number of years back. They took it as a backup for the competition launch due to weather forecast(altitude concerns). It was put back in another guys motor box and he brought it to me. We both forgot about it. I flew it about a month ago. Turned out it was a red motor....few chuffs before it went. Took my gizmo to 4000ft.

Ahhhh...that I can see haha

Like this one? https://youtu.be/afxmZDhenaE Kurt

From a customer's point of view - what sets LOKI apart from the others, specifically in the larger loads? IF this is felt to be inappropriate here, then feel free to let me knjow and i'll post in the motor section.
Why - I am considering a 54 six extra and need to purchase the case and the load so now open to look at loki. Also starting the ssllloooww process of L3 planning.
I like longer burn motors, lots of tracking smoke and Spitfires.... in the order. Also realize that Spitfire doesn't = long burn. Soo teach me Loki fan people.
thanks
Nick

Sounds like a good question. There are some easy things -
The reloads are priced better. With reusable nozzles, each kit doesn't one in there.
Others will get into the details on why, but snap ring cases are a better design than screw on closures. No worries about stripping a Pro38 rear.
LOKI white is effeing SICK.
Loki loads push the limits harder in most cases than competitors do.

My personal reasons?
I like small businesses.
Scott puts a crazy amount of time and energy into these loads. It's not an assembly line process.
The propellants are pretty freaking cool.
Big cases make rockets go fast.

What is happening when it chuffs, or what's causing that?

"Chuffing is the periodic low-frequency discharge of a bushy, unsteady flame of short duration (typically less than 1 sec) followed by periods of nearly ambient pressure. This dormant period can extend for a fraction of a second to a few seconds." (Sutton, 8th edition, Pg. 547)

This phenomenon is typically caused by a throat diameter that is sized too large, thus leading to an insufficient chamber pressure.

Sounds like a good question. There are some easy things -
The reloads are priced better. With reusable nozzles, each kit doesn't one in there.
Others will get into the details on why, but snap ring cases are a better design than screw on closures. No worries about stripping a Pro38 rear.
LOKI white is effeing SICK.
Loki loads push the limits harder in most cases than competitors do.

My personal reasons?
I like small businesses.
Scott puts a crazy amount of time and energy into these loads. It's not an assembly line process.
The propellants are pretty freaking cool.
Big cases make rockets go fast.

You forgot star grain....

Having not been to very many launches, but did go to LDRS and was able to see many Loki loads. Maybe it was me since I could always hear the load info, but the Lokis did seam alittle more of everything, sparkies were more sparky, they sounded stronger / more powerful, etc. I've been real happy with CTI and My vendor caries them. Still thinking of trying both to see for myself.

Back