Loki Research 2012 & Beyond

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the quick response. I guess in that case, a quicklock slimline would be the way to go.

Also, is it 4400 or 4000?

L780 sparky flown by the ND rocket team today...

IMG_8895.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photo Dave. :)

Here's the latest test of the 54/2800 Loki Red and the new single use nozzles. It was a 3.5 second burn and around an L-9~hundred something. The load cell wasn't properly calibrated, but I was looking to get the pressure more than anything. It should be at least 3,200+Ns. It had about 1,645g of propellant if I remember correctly. The chuff is an unfortunate nature of the red propellant. It was fired at a temp of around 80 degrees F.

[video=youtube_share;P4OUQR-BaGI]https://youtu.be/P4OUQR-BaGI[/video]

Single-use nozzles tempt me... one of the things making me wary of Loki once I get into HPR is needing to check and see if the nozzles are out-of-spec all the time.

Thanks for sharing the photo Dave. :)

Here's the latest test of the 54/2800 Loki Red and the new single use nozzles. It was a 3.5 second burn and around an L-9~hundred something. The load cell wasn't properly calibrated, but I was looking to get the pressure more than anything. It should be at least 3,200+Ns. It had about 1,645g of propellant if I remember correctly. The chuff is an unfortunate nature of the red propellant. It was fired at a temp of around 80 degrees F.

[video=youtube_share;P4OUQR-BaGI]https://youtu.be/P4OUQR-BaGI[/video]

Nice! :headbang:

Single-use nozzles tempt me... one of the things making me wary of Loki once I get into HPR is needing to check and see if the nozzles are out-of-spec all the time.

Naaa take care of you noozels and they will take care of you. I guess the question to ask is would in the long run even if you have to buy a new nozzle after 20 or 30 firings will it be cheaper than the added cost of a single use nozzle for every reload you buy?

TA

Buy a nice set of calipers that will last a lifetime, and you'll enjoy checking whether they're in spec or not.

Alternatively you could make a quick go/no-go gauge out of nylon on a lathe...

A good precision drill bit set works nicely for checking nozzle throats. IIRC a #19 nozzle = 19/64" or a #16 would essentially be 1/4". I can't remember how far off it has to be in order to be out of spec...If the bit inserts snugly then I'd say the nozzle throat is pretty dang close to that diameter.

If you buying single use nozzles in a large amount how much do they cost? Are reloads that use a single use nozzles a lot more money than a reuseable nozzle reloads?

If you buying single use nozzles in a large amount how much do they cost? Are reloads that use a single use nozzles a lot more money than a reusable nozzle reloads?

I'm still trying to figure most of that out, though I can say there will not be any discount for large order quantities of single use nozzles. They are very time consuming to produce since I don't own equipment to make molds and press glass phenolic nozzles. That is VERY expensive. Here's a teaser photo though to give you an idea of what we're talking about. Almost ready for the first blue test. Fingers crossed!

20140219_202430.jpg

Yes, and that is a loaded 54mm x 43.85" case. I figure it's best to start with the coolest (as in colder burning) propellant first and go from there.

Must be difficult getting the snap ring in there. I assume you need to push the nozzle in past the groove, install the snap ring, then push the liner from the front end to install. Is this correct?

You got it Dan. Except the retaining ring is pretty easy to get in once the nozzle is pushed in past the groove. There's still some design and clearance details left to get worked out.

Are you going to be able to get a M out of that monster of a case?

TA

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Are you going to be able to get a M out of that monster of a case?

TA

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Maybe not a "M"........................................ but definitely a MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm!

Go Scott, go!

Glad to see things coming along so well.

Todd, from a thermal insulation standpoint, it's looking like the limitations of the current materials and their size/thickness will preclude me from obtaining an M impulse in the 54mm case. I know of a few however who are itching to have a go at the L altitude record. There's a new thread about to start that will hopefully kick start a few towards that pursuit.

When I first heard about the possibility of a 54mm M motor I was pretty excited. But now the prospect of a 54mm full L is much more exciting to me. I'm currently gathering materials for what I think is a pretty innovative L altitude attempt rocket. I'm looking forward to seeing what others will cook up as well.

Back