Loki Research 2012 & Beyond

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never thrown an altimeter on there but RockSim says 456 feet. Seems about right. Great motor for the Magg! Especially if you're in a small field. Here is another pic:

IMG_0610.JPG

Great shot of the Mini Mag G-80 & the H-100 too. Thank you for posting them.

Bill, thanks for the warm wishes. It was as beautiful a day as anyoneone could hope for having an outdoor wedding and reception. It was absolutely gorgeous weather. On our way down to Table Rock lake for 2 days of rest.

I tested this last Thursday before heading off to pick up my tux.
https://youtu.be/vH_c-QrOhM0

I'm about ~90% happy with rhe test and results. Please read the comments for details about the end of the burn. I'm still toying around with how to be 100% satisfied with it. I'm not referring to tue comments either.

Last edited:
I tested this last Thursday before heading off to pick up my tux.
https://youtu.be/vH_c-QrOhM0

I'm about ~90% happy with rhe test and results. Please read the comments for details about the end of the burn. I'm still toying around with how to be 100% satisfied with it. I'm not referring to tue comments either.

Want so bad! Now I think I have to buy Loki 54/2800 hardware just for that load, would probably work great for a 54mm minimum diameter screamer to really push its limits.

Want so bad! Now I think I have to buy Loki 54/2800 hardware just for that load, would probably work great for a 54mm minimum diameter screamer to really push its limits.

Conversely, it's time for me to make a rocket that'll stay under 5k on an L...

I used to fly my Minnie Mag on the I316 load. Darn near thought the fins were coming off the thing. Did some serious coneing on the way up. It was cool as heck though!! I have pictures somewhere I'll see if I can find them.

Very nice flight photos Chuck! I noticed on the flight info it says the motor was an I-210 and is linked to the I-210, not the I-316. Just thought you'd want to know.

Thanks for sharing them with everyone!

Very nice flight photos Chuck! I noticed on the flight info it says the motor was an I-210 and is linked to the I-210, not the I-316. Just thought you'd want to know.

Thanks for sharing them with everyone!

Scott,
The reason it does that is that RocketReviews.Com does not have a profile in the database for the I316. I sent in a message about this but have not heard anything back. I picked the I210 as a place holder.

I burned an H90 red at Red Glare yesterday. Cool longer burn. The slag stuck on the nozzle was pretty thick and didn't want to come off, I assume because of the longer burn (used a small screw driver to chisel it out) ...much more difficult than cleaning after an H160 which only required minimal cleaning.

Pro%20Star%20Loki%20H90%20Red.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, send me a pm with your email and I'll send you a paper I wrote up on cleaning and caring for Loki nozzles. A strait razor blade is my recommended tool of choice. Yes, the reds leave behind more slage than the blue. Not much in the blue to leave behind. Great launch photo too!

I got my Jr. level one about a year ago, and since then have been working my way up through the many different aspects of high power. Originally, the simplicity of CTI reloads made them very attractive, but as I have been flying more and more often, especially in the I range, the cost of the CTI reloads has gotten to be a bit absurd.

I had never heard of Loki research until recently when I saw it on this forum, and after reading some more about it I was hooked. No hazmat, much less expensive, and more exciting loads. I couldn't believe it, it seemed too good to be true! I purchased for christmas the 38/240 and 38/480 cases, along with a bunch of reloads, and plan to fly my first Loki motor (H144LW) in a few weeks at my clubs January launch. I cant wait! Also I am really excited for the new blue and violet loads that are coming out soon, the static test fires look amazing! With no hazmat, I will definitely be ordering some of those when they become available! So I just wanted to say thanks and keep up the awesome work!

Coleman

I am waiting for the 54/4000s, but I can easily imagine that snow is making things difficult.

I received a call from Scott on Monday. He had all my propellent ready that I had purchased under the certification sale. What a great guy to deal with. Anyway, my shipment will arrive on Friday. Now I just need to patiently wait for May and our first launch of 2014.

Thanks Chuck. :)

Would it make things less cluttered to start a new thread? I am thinking maybe so, since I'll have some new products to showcase soon, getting close, like in one more month I hope. I never liked searching through a 50+ page thread. Cold weather sucks. Especially when you're trying to test something at around 70F and you have to rush it outside and get it fired before it cools down.

Oh yea, Loki Research has a Facebook page now. I'm still a bit confused as to how it works since it's layout is completely different than my personal page. I don't know if customers can directly load their photos to that album, but I'm thinking you'll have to send them to me. I have some that I still need to find time to put up.

Last edited:
Scott , If you wanna send along some loads with my 54/4000 to me in Tampa where its 60's / 70's , ill be more then willing to test them for you .

Eric

Thanks Chuck. :)

Would it make things less cluttered to start a new thread? I am thinking maybe so, since I'll have some new products to showcase soon, getting close, like in one more month I hope. I never liked searching through a 50+ page thread. Cold weather sucks. Especially when you're trying to test something at around 70F and you have to rush it outside and get it fired before it cools down.

Oh yea, Loki Research has a Facebook page now. I'm still a bit confused as to how it works since it's layout is completely different than my personal page. I don't know if customers can directly load their photos to that album, but I'm thinking you'll have to send them to me. I have some that I still need to find time to put up.

Can't wait!!! I'm cool with a new 2014 thread its nice to stream line once and a while especially if you are going to showcase new product, you want that front and center.

TA

Eric, if you're willing to cover the hazmat expense and have accurate Pc and thrust measurements on a test stand, I might consider it, but I believe I'll still want to do a complete post fire analysis of the first tests myself. I do appreciate the offer though. :)

Eric, if you're willing to cover the hazmat expense and have accurate Pc and thrust measurements on a test stand, I might consider it, but I believe I'll still want to do a complete post fire analysis of the first tests myself. I do appreciate the offer though. :)

Road trip to Florida?

Can you say tax-write off? :wink:

Scott - St Louis has a launch Feb 22 (pending weather). Wanna come visit? :)

Mike,

I will definitely consider it. I haven't been to a launch in St.Louis since 2001. I think you were in junior high back then! I hear it's under new "management" now. I might have to start going again.

Wow, there's finally a new SLRA website, and I'll be damn, it's going to be the 1st ever research launch in SLRA HISTORY! I never thought I'd see the day. :jaw:
Hmmm, I'll try my best to make it there so I can be sure it is ushered in properly. ;-) Any chance I could do some static tests if the need arises? Let me know who to talk with about that and how to reach them. I bet Lou, Dan and Rob will be there too. Yea, that would be a fun time. :)

Is the chance of rescheduling a launch for the possibility of bad weather still the same? There use to be a hair trigger on that if I remember correctly, more so the road didn't get torn up though.

I have a question about the 54mm thrust rings. How far does the motor overhang longitudinally from a motor tube? Is it the ~1/2" of typical snap ring cases, or is it .375" like a threaded (AT or CTI) motor case? I'm just plotting out motor retention decisions for my next rocket, and I'm leaning towards Slimlines for cost and appearance reasons.

How far does the motor overhang longitudinally from a motor tube? Is it the ~1/2" of typical snap ring cases, or is it .375" like a threaded (AT or CTI) motor case?

The 54mm thrust ring is a bit further from the end of the case than .375" I'll have to double check and edit this post tomorrow, but I think the back of the thrust ring on the 54/1200 & 2000 are .400" from the end of the case and the 2800 & 4400 start at .465" from the end. It's the difference in the end margin on the internal retaining rings between those cases. I think the thrust ring is .056" thick. I'll follow up with this & edit it for you tomorrow.

I have a question about the 54mm thrust rings. How far does the motor overhang longitudinally from a motor tube? Is it the ~1/2" of typical snap ring cases, or is it .375" like a threaded (AT or CTI) motor case? I'm just plotting out motor retention decisions for my next rocket, and I'm leaning towards Slimlines for cost and appearance reasons.

What model of Slimline retainer are you planning on using? Have four of five of the 38mm classic ring types and they fit great, and all you need to do to accommodate the distance of overhang is make a spacer out of some spare motor tube to hold it in tight. At least that's how it works with the 38mm.

I talked to someone at Giant Leap about this and my understanding it all of the new Loki stuff will fit in any Slimline retainers, its just a matter of how the motor will be held tightly in place, which is a problem with all the snap ring brands. As far as I know it can all be solved with a spacer no matter the style you use.

In the picture you can see the small piece of motor tube above the C ring, that's my spacer, I have a few of them made that I keep in my launch box.

TA

2013-04-08 22.15.20.jpg

What model of Slimline retainer are you planning on using? Have four of five of the 38mm classic ring types and they fit great, and all you need to do to accommodate the distance of overhang is make a spacer out of some spare motor tube to hold it in tight. At least that's how it works with the 38mm.

I talked to someone at Giant Leap about this and my understanding it all of the new Loki stuff will fit in any Slimline retainers, its just a matter of how the motor will be held tightly in place, which is a problem with all the snap ring brands. As far as I know it can all be solved with a spacer no matter the style you use.

In the picture you can see the small piece of motor tube above the C ring, that's my spacer, I have a few of them made that I keep in my launch box.

TA

I am concerned with 54mm specifically, and I would probably get the classic slimline.

Okay here's the deal.
The 54mm 1200, 1600 & 2000 cases, the front of the thrust ring is .425" from the end of the case.
The 54mm 2800 & 4400 cases, the front of the thrust ring is .475" from the end of the case.

From the information I received from Slimline, the 54mm retainer has a length of .420" between the c-ring and the "stop" on the retainer. I don't know what if any tolerance there is here, but mine are the standard +/-.005".
On the 1200 & 2000 cases I have tried in Jay's rockets (from Argonia) which had the standard 54mm Slimline retainers, and they fit with no to extremely little play.

Why the difference? Well the the 1200-2000 cases have always had a .200" end margin between the end of the case and the snap ring grooves. The 2800's have always had an end margin of .250" This is the same with all AMW 54mm cases, but on a side note, the Gorilla 2550 case has a .200" end margin on all 54mm cases. I didn't want to change it to .200" on the 2800's because then the overall case length would be .100" shorter and I didn't want to confuse anyone making that kind of change, and thus probably get some emails saying someones case is too short. Since the internal groove is .050" further from the end of the case, the external groove needed to be that much further forward as well.

Bottom line is, when I switched to drawn tubing and had to pick a place for the external thrust ring while keeping a safe margin between internal and external grooves. In that endeavor, I was able to get the 1200/1600/2000 cases to be compatible (just barely) with Slimline retainers, but not the longer cases.

Dave, you lend me the money for the trip to Florida, and I'll give you what I get back on the tax write-off. ;-)
For the IRS people watching, that was serious a joke.

Latest posts

Back