Loki motors?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rob,
How are you man ??
I sure hope you and yours are all safe and healthy..

I think it was in the neighborhood of 40K..

Teddy

Hi Teddy!!! We are doing as good all things considered. Hope you are doing well too.

That is good info. I keep eyeballing a 54mm MD Loki M1378 project that I have everything for except the case, tailcone and reload...and I know just the guy to get it from:D

I have been flying a lot of Loki motors lately. Have you ever asked yourself, can a tube fin rocket go past Mach 1 without ripping the tube fins off? The answer to that question is "yes" :) with the Mach 1+ part delivered courtesy of Loki's super cool 54mm M1378.

M1378.jpg

I110 Moonburner, one of my favourites. I usually fly it as a second stage motor, but flew just the sustainer at MWP.

I haven't flown a I-110 Moonburner since my L1 cert flight back in 2008. They had just came out before that and one of the guys wanted to see one fly. He offered to loan me his case if I flew the motor. I said, why not. So it was my very first Loki motor and an I motor for my cert. It was pretty impressive with the +4 second burn. The 4,200 ft was the highest the rocket flew until the next year when I got my L2 and flew it on a J350W.

I haven't flown a I-110 Moonburner since my L1 cert flight back in 2008. They had just came out before that and one of the guys wanted to see one fly. He offered to loan me his case if I flew the motor. I said, why not. So it was my very first Loki motor and an I motor for my cert. It was pretty impressive with the +4 second burn. The 4,200 ft was the highest the rocket flew until the next year when I got my L2 and flew it on a J350W.
Should have moved up to a J175 moonburner. [grin]

I have one waiting for my EZI to be repaired. While the flight was nominal (2,512 ft. according to my Eggtimer Quasar), the 'chute was undersized and it broke a fin on landing. Some sandpaper, fiberglass, and epoxy and it will be ready to go again. Scott is sending me a new external thrust ring to fit in my Slimline retainer.

Going to do a bit of thread necromancy (last post in 2021, and here it is, almost 2024):

Flew my EZI65 on a Loki I-110 this last weekend in Dalzell, SC. GREAT flight!

View attachment 619610View attachment 619611View attachment 619612

When Loki came out, my local dealer at the club had a sale to hook the club on. You bought 3 reloads from each motor size and got the hardware free.

I still have a reload or three, maybe four from buying more. My favorite in 4" rockets was the I-405...

The LCO would yell in the Mic ;' "LOKI Motor" 5,4,3,2,1

Last edited:
Should have moved up to a J175 moonburner. [grin]

I have one waiting for my EZI to be repaired. While the flight was nominal (2,512 ft. according to my Eggtimer Quasar), the 'chute was undersized and it broke a fin on landing. Some sandpaper, fiberglass, and epoxy and it will be ready to go again. Scott is sending me a new external thrust ring to fit in my Slimline retainer.

Was that the older EZ-I like mine that has a "weak fin" now, or the new ones that bind into the motor mount. The original LOC TTW fins only went thru the wall, and would break. The new ones LOC into the motor mount.

Was that the older EZ-I like mine that has a "weak fin" now, or the new ones that bind into the motor mount. The original LOC TTW fins only went thru the wall, and would break. The new ones LOC into the motor mount.
Nope. Goes all the way to the MMT. 36" diameter chute with a 3" spill-hole isn't enough to slow down a 5-6lb. to safe speed. Also, according to @Rocketjunkie , the 1/8" thick plywood isn't thick enough. He likes 3/16" thick plywood for that design.

Why the spill hole? Mine broke a leg as I had a heavy ebay with stuff in it on a 36" chute .

Today I would just use a JLCR on it after motor deploy and forget the Ebay stuff.

I have aileron triangle stock on each side of the "weak" fin now.

Why the spill hole? Mine broke a leg as I had a heavy ebay with stuff in it on a 36" chute .

Today I would just use a JLCR on it after motor deploy and forget the Ebay stuff.

I have aileron triangle stock on each side of the "weak" fin now.
It was the stock 'chute.

I have a 60" Spherachute and two white silk 60" surplus chutes from Aerocon. Planning on swapping the streamer to the payload bay and putting the mains in the booster section where there's more room.

It was the stock 'chute.

I have a 60" Spherachute and two white silk 60" surplus chutes from Aerocon. Planning on swapping the streamer to the payload bay and putting the mains in the booster section where there's more room.

The Silk chutes from anywhere are 30ish inches and 60 inches, they can not take weight and can strip.

At one time I had 20 of the 30ish chutes as we had a surplus dealer that sold rockets in down river DTW north from here.

They are Flare Chutes from 'Nam/

Nope. Goes all the way to the MMT. 36" diameter chute with a 3" spill-hole isn't enough to slow down a 5-6lb. to safe speed. Also, according to @Rocketjunkie , the 1/8" thick plywood isn't thick enough. He likes 3/16" thick plywood for that design.

For all of the 1/8" plywood fins, rather than up the thickness of the plywood, I like to laminate them with some lightweight carbon fiber cloth (slop some epoxy on the fabric on both sides of the fin, throw some peel ply on, a little cotton batting and vacuum seal the whole thing in a Foodsaver bag - takes a couple minutes per fin - longest piece of the operation is mixing the epoxy). Barely adds any weight and makes them virtually indestructible and flutter free. Plus, they look cool :)

The Silk chutes from anywhere are 30ish inches and 60 inches, they can not take weight and can strip.

At one time I had 20 of the 30ish chutes as we had a surplus dealer that sold rockets in down river DTW north from here.

They are Flare Chutes from 'Nam/
I've flown the 60" chute without problem in my Gulf-liveried Warlock. I know they're old flare chutes from 'Nam, but seem to hold up okay for my use. I'm not putting a lot of weight on them. No more than 7 lbs.

For all of the 1/8" plywood fins, rather than up the thickness of the plywood, I like to laminate them with some lightweight carbon fiber cloth (slop some epoxy on the fabric on both sides of the fin, throw some peel ply on, a little cotton batting and vacuum seal the whole thing in a Foodsaver bag - takes a couple minutes per fin - longest piece of the operation is mixing the epoxy). Barely adds any weight and makes them virtually indestructible and flutter free. Plus, they look cool :)
The repair will see either fiberglass or carbon fiber from tip to tip on the fins.

Latest posts

Back