Locktite on rail button screws?

Zman1961

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use blue Loctite on machine screws and allow the buttons to rotate. And they do wear out, sometimes dramatically, so it is good to be able to replace them easily. I do not use any adhesive when I use machine screws going directly into wood or other solid backing material.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Wouldn't machine screws placed directly into wood and without adhesive fall right out? That is exactly what wood screws are for, after all.

jahall4

Reaction score
Yes, always, can't hurt because ideally the rail buttons are anchored through the airframe into a weld nut or similar via a countersink machine screw where Loctite Purple (or even Blue) would be appropriate to use. This obviously does not apply to guides anchored with wood or sheet metal screws.

Here are a couple of more involved examples of anchoring rail guides: https://tinyurl.com/334pkx7m

Last edited:

Bill S

Reaction score
What's up with the "missing" Facebook part of your post, jahall4?

DAllen

Reaction score
Rotating rail buttons is a mystery to me. I glue or otherwise secure all of my buttons so they don't rotate. Unless something really unusual happens with the flight I have never ever seen them get chewed up. My suspicion is that if buttons are getting chewed up the rails need to be cleaned.

jqavins

Слава Україні
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My suspicion is that if buttons are getting chewed up the rails need to be cleaned.
Or it's a bit chewed up itself and needs to be repaired or replaced. Or we're wrong, and just rubbing hard on a rail really does harm a button sometimes.

I'd leave mine to rotate anyway (and use a dry lubricant on the screw shoulder), if only to reduce friction during launch by just that tiny bit.