LOC Ultimate build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been snowing and cold so I had nothing better to do than keep on building. I used threaded inserts for motor retention. I will use screws with washers to hold the motor in place. I added a tube from the top cr to the aft one just in case I wanted to try airstarts with it. The fins go in super easy and are very sturdy. They sit in the valley between 2 motor mounts for a solid fit.

20220115_172547.jpg20220115_184636.jpg20220115_202936.jpg20220115_203645.jpg20220115_210148.jpg20220115_210306.jpg20220115_211539.jpg20220115_211713.jpg

I got my L1 with my LOC ultimate with a H97 in 1999. Largest cluster I did with it was 7 G35-7 Econojets at I believe NSL 2003. I stretched it and called it the American Spirit. I will have it, and in theory, it's still flyable.

It has been snowing and cold so I had nothing better to do than keep on building. I used threaded inserts for motor retention. I will use screws with washers to hold the motor in place. I added a tube from the top cr to the aft one just in case I wanted to try airstarts with it. The fins go in super easy and are very sturdy. They sit in the valley between 2 motor mounts for a solid fit.

View attachment 499863View attachment 499864View attachment 499865View attachment 499866View attachment 499867View attachment 499868View attachment 499869View attachment 499870
Looking really good
I was always interested in this kit
Iam pumped to see this build thread
Extra tube for potential air start is awesome
Good luck

I have several sizes. My standard one is currently prepped with 3 CTI G125s. It also flies well to about 1000' on 7 Estes F15s. I also have a BT-60 (13 mm), 3" (24 mm) and Ultimate Max (5.5", 38 mm). I need to build a 2.6" (18 mm) for my long 18 mm motors. The picture is my Ultimate collection, l-r Ultimate Max, Ultimate 13, Ultimate 24, and Ultimate 29. BTW, 7 54 mm fit the 7.5 tube.Ultimates.jpg

Fillets are done. On rockets that aren't getting j and k motors, I really like to use this method.20220116_173959.jpg20220116_175040.jpg

I have shredded an Ultimate Max. 7 I85 RX motors. The fins flutter and snap off just outside the fillets. When I rebuilt it, I used 3/16" plywood and laid 1 layer of glass tip to tip.

Great build. I built one of these some years back and flew it successfully twice. On the third flight I had an unfortune ejection failure that caused the rocket to come down ballistic. As luck would have it, the rocket hit the trunk of a fallen tree instead of landing on something soft and completed destroyed the rocket all the way to the forward centering ring. While I was able to salvage the rear of the rocket, I decided right then that I was done with clusters in this bird and vowed to rebuild it as a single motor rocket.

Fast forward a couple of years and I finally got around to buying the necessary parts to rebuild. The new one will be a single 29mm build. The reduced weight from less tubing should allow me to fly this on the G74 and G80 motors.

This like so many others are sitting waiting their turn on the build desk. I will get it built this summer.

Keep up the great build!

I like it a lot looks good
Thanks. I used the same only stealth and liked it so I figured I'd try it on this one. Messed up the decal so I'm waiting for a new one. Should look nice I think. This picture has the same black on 2 rockets with different clear coat.

Attachments

• 20220102_200956.jpg
    20220102_200956.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
Too late to caution you to install RMS casings with rear closures before gluing motor mounts into aft ring. LOC still puts their holes a bit tight in the cluster rings.
I've flown mine on 7x G80s (SU) and G104Ts (RMS). Clusters rock!
-Ken

Too late to caution you to install RMS casings with rear closures before gluing motor mounts into aft ring. LOC still puts their holes a bit tight in the cluster rings.
-Ken
They fit perfectly.20220115_035330.jpg

-Ken

They sure do!! And the Ultimate is one of my favorite clusters made.

Few shots of my LOC IROC custom done with a 38mm + 6x29mm, an AV bay, a payload section, and an electronics hatch integrated into the gap between the 29mm tube bulkhead and the top of the 38mm bulkhead with an igniter conduit run down to the bottom CR. As well, some shots on what I plan to fly it on in the spring. 😄

The Ultimate on 7 blue thunders is a sight to see!!!

Watching this build thread!!!

20220119_221445.jpg

20220119_221457.jpg

20220119_221513.jpg

20220119_221547.jpg

They sure do!! And the Ultimate is one of my favorite clusters made.

Few shots of my LOC IROC custom done with a 38mm + 6x29mm, an AV bay, a payload section, and an electronics hatch integrated into the gap between the 29mm tube bulkhead and the top of the 38mm bulkhead with an igniter conduit run down to the bottom CR. As well, some shots on what I plan to fly it on in the spring. 😄

The Ultimate on 7 blue thunders is a sight to see!!!

Watching this build thread!!!

View attachment 500637

View attachment 500638

View attachment 500639

View attachment 500640
Awesome build you have there.

Awesome build you have there.

Its more to pay homage to your build! But also to point out the electronics "hatch" between the short tubes and the long tubes, like on the Ultimate. Its a great place for electronics to fire airstarts. Might be something you could still add to the Ultimate at this stage if it was something you wanted to do. Should be plenty of room vertically, even with the 4" airframe. :)

Hey Bobby does the Gorilla harden or does it stay soft and flexible? I guess what I'm asking is if you pressed on it with a fingernail would it leave a mark. Just wondering, something new to learn.

Thanks

Its more to pay homage to your build! But also to point out the electronics "hatch" between the short tubes and the long tubes, like on the Ultimate. Its a great place for electronics to fire airstarts. Might be something you could still add to the Ultimate at this stage if it was something you wanted to do. Should be plenty of room vertically, even with the 4" airframe. :)
I will be doing that on a LOC Iris that will be a 2 stage rocket.

Hey Bobby does the Gorilla harden or does it stay soft and flexible? I guess what I'm asking is if you pressed on it with a fingernail would it leave a mark. Just wondering, something new to learn.

Thanks
It hardens, but not like epoxy. If you push hard enough, you could leave a mark.

@bobbyg23 I like this thread.....I just got a similar kit and I'm looking forward to building it.

I have a few questions about your build....

What size threaded inserts did you use and where did you get them?

Also, what did you use for the motor wiring tube?

Thanks!

Back