LOC TOP GUN

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILDMANRS

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If anybody is interested I happened to pick up a brand new limited production TOP GUN with a fiberglass transition.
its going for $460
Its not going on the website but if you want just give us a call.

cool but is the one wildman selling fiberglass? I cant see a paper rocket costing that much.

It packs a bit more than just a "standard" paper kit. The glass transition, 80" chute, good length of tubular, 6 fins, and a 7pack of 54mm holes total a length of almost 100 inches and 7.5" diameter. It's not for the faint of heart! =) It was dug out from the archives of Ron's typewritten notes!!! And there's a very limited number as this is for an extremist... Like Tim... HAHAHA

The Top Gun was a rocket I always wanted but missed out on.

But thanks to Wildman convincing me to get the kit at a launch, I have a rocket that I have always dreamed of having.

Thank you Wildman, LOC, for bring back one of the great kits LOC Custom Engineering made.

But thanks to Wildman convincing me to get the kit at a launch, I have a rocket that I have always dreamed of having.

Thank you Wildman, LOC, for bring back one of the great kits LOC Custom Engineering made.

Tim can be very persuasive...

Never+got+to+play+it+when+i+was+younger+so+_d0d344282da90de5f0aa01e82da9adfa.gif

Congrats, Gary! Can't wait to see what you do with it! Need to arrange a gathering of the giants!

-Eric-

cool but is the one wildman selling fiberglass? I cant see a paper rocket costing that much.

Can I offer a perspective?

I own/fly a fair share of 7.5"/8" rockets. A mix of fiberglass and paper rockets; they both have their places and I value them for different reasons. A couple of examples:

I have a Bruiser and a Gizmo XL DD. They are the same size rockets; both have flown on 98-4G motors. The difference is in the weight of the birds...though they occupy roughly the same volumetric space, the Bruiser is significantly lighter and easier for me to haul around by myself, put on the pad, etc. To date, my Bruiser has 9 flights and the Gizmo XL 3. I fly the Bruiser at this 3:1 ratio simply because it is an all around easier, more enjoyable experience. And as far as toughness goes, the Giz Xl occasionally cracks fin fillets (and that's with flexible Rocketpoxy and twin 96" chutes), whereas the Bruiser was literally run over by a combine and it has come back to fly regularly on M's....it's first flight was on an N by the way (yes it's glassed).

Since we know I like Bruisers, I'll shout out to Eric B. who successfully certed L2 the other day. His Loc Bruiser flew great on a 38mm J425 Redline which costs a hair over $50. I've seen Bruisers fly on I motors....some things just can't be done with all glass rockets of the same size.

Similarly, we picked up a ~25 year old Top Gun in December 2015. My Dad cleaned it up and repainted it, and it flew at Midwest Blast last year on a K550W. The thing is light like a feather, and utterly shocked me how well it performed on that modest 54-4G baby K. It was a beautiful sight. Again, I wouldn't dare fly the Giz XL, which is all glass and shorter on a K550W. Neat flight an inspiration for those looking at the Top Gun btw...

203-57_zpsxfummqra.jpg

Now, before you call me biased, please realize I fly a lot of glass as well! I flew an O25k in an 8" bird a few years back. The filament wound glass was the obvious way to go....not saying it couldn't be done with paper, but it made very logical sense to go glass in that case! Much like the arguments for paper, some things are just done better in glass!

Along with finishing the dinosaurs this spring, (Esoteric and Top Gun...yay!!!), I'm building another 7.5" rocket....she's all glass and houses my 6" 50k Ns hardware.

Point is, there are applications where cardboard is *more valuable* than glass. I fly both, but for economics, ease of use, and general sport flying, I fly a whole lot more paper than glass. There are some things that can be done with paper rockets that can't be done with glass rockets the same size; conversely there are some things that are easier done with glass instead of paper. Your mileage may vary; as long as we're all having fun!

-Eric-

Since we know I like Bruisers, I'll shout out to Eric B. who successfully certed L2 the other day. His Loc Bruiser flew great on a 38mm J425 Redline which costs a hair over $50.

Not to derail this thread, but is Eric B. on this forum (or elsewhere?). I have some pictures of his L2 flight, and wanted to make sure he got those, plus saw the ones on the TWA website.

Not to derail this thread, but is Eric B. on this forum (or elsewhere?). I have some pictures of his L2 flight, and wanted to make sure he got those, plus saw the ones on the TWA website.

Yessir. He is "Eburg".

Back