Loc Terrier 3” 38mmt. Opinions.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew_ASC

UTC SEDS 2017 3rd/ SEDS 2018 1st
Reaction score
CED6051B-0917-4567-960D-5A967AD8D251.png Hey I saw it on the internet last night and had thoughts of staging it to a Loc precision IQSY Tomahawk 38mmT 2.26”. Prelim goals would be keep it in Two H motors and well under a 10k ft waiver. Seems like a cheaper multistage kit than those Madcow kits if flown within limits. Just want a nice scale flight really. Not my first multistage HP but will be my first cardboard and wood kit high power. Looking to modify the IQSY to dual deploy not that thrilled about jlcr on it. I think it’ll be a fun summertime build.

I got the Terrier and the Sandhawk. This will be my first electronic staging. The Sandhawk has a 29mm mmt which LOC says needs to have the fins modified to mate up to the transition so I’ll just convert it to 38mm at the same time. I think mine will go up on H-J motors. I believe someone just sent one on a J350W to I59. Might have seen that on Facebook. I don’t think it went too high.

Niiiiice. I discussed the build with my friends who have more experience with electronics. Let me dig up the notes and post them.

Based on the size, I'm going to make my own coupler/av bay for the Sandhawk with an RRC2 for dual deploy and PET2+ for staging. Not sure what I'll do for the booster...JLCR and motor ejection maybe? I need to play with it to figure it out.

I checked chat for when I discussed this with rocket friends. Since I can't find a PerfectFlite MiniTimer 4 I will probably use an RRC3 in each rocket. Could almost get away with one in the Sandhawk to run everything but there's no need to risk it. Also considering GPS in both. Or have a friend watch one of them but I don't want to rely on that either.

RRC3 offers a lot. I'll probably run a GPS in the sustainer only - I've had good luck tracking my boosters visually.

Sounds like a good plan. I have a laser cutter so I'm going to make some wood parts to hold electronics in the transition and nose cone. Let me know if you want those parts too.

Sounds like a good plan. I have a laser cutter so I'm going to make some wood parts to hold electronics in the transition and nose cone. Let me know if you want those parts too.

I'd be a fool to refuse that offer. What sort if GPS system do you use? I run the T3 since I'm not tracking anything over 30,000 feet.

So far just the Eggfinder Mini and TRS. I don't think the TRS can do timed ignition for the 2nd stage. Altus Metrum TeleMega seems like it's the best but it is much more expensive. I already have two RRC3's here.

Have you looked at the PET2+ for staging? I love the thing. It's great for small airframes. I just bought a Marsa33 with the tilt gadget for my M to L Madcow Nike Tomahawk BALLS project, but for anything below 2,000n/s, I feel confident with just the timer.

An Eggtimer Proton and quantum will both fit in a 2" coupler, with the GPS in the nose cone.20190724_194607_HDR.jpeg

I'm working on my plan for this Terrier Sandhawk. I think I'll convert the Sandhawk from 29mm to 38mm to increase its versatility. The RRC3 seems perfect to ignite the sustainer with the auxiliary output. They should drag separate after booster burnout then the sustainer can fire. I'm thinking go big on the booster like J570 then long like I59 on the sustainer. Any suggestions on motor combinations?

I thought only the stock 38mm Sandhawk was Terrier compatible. At least that's the way I read the website. I got mine as a 38mm and I plan on making an adapter and flying lots of 29mm. My local field has a 7200' waiver.

They sent me 29mm. I am going to laser cut new centering rings and modify the fins for 38mm.

Gotcha. I bet having a laser cutter is game-changing. I'm jealous.
It's a lot of fun. This is the avbay for my 5.5" White Wolf. All designed in Fusion360 and cut on the laser. Let me know if you need any parts for the Terrier Sandhawk.

Attachments

• EC572DF3-63F7-4E61-BF68-3EC96CC50B98.jpeg
    EC572DF3-63F7-4E61-BF68-3EC96CC50B98.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 97
It's a lot of fun. This is the avbay for my 5.5" White Wolf. All designed in Fusion360 and cut on the laser. Let me know if you need any parts for the Terrier Sandhawk.
That's thick plywood!

I will keep that offer in mind...the interstage coupler begs for a unique sled design.
A want some flexibility for my sustainer av bay too...i want to use my Raven4 for big 38 to 38 flights and my PET2+ for smaller I to G flights - a laser cut sled would help a ton.

I cut new fins to use with the Sandhawk that was sent to me that had the 29mm mmt.
Kept a small tab to go into the fin slot where the transition will be.

Attachments

• 2019-09-09 10.11.24.jpg
    2019-09-09 10.11.24.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 43
Those look like some nice cuts. What laser are you using? I'd love to have one but I'm sure I could make those by hand if I could just find my square drill bits...

I have a Glowforge. www.buyaglowforge.com.
I'm selling PSII clone kits with laser cut fins and centering rings. And I'm thinking about taking on avbay work. If someone gives dimensions and which computers/batteries they will use it's pretty easy.

I cut new fins to use with the Sandhawk that was sent to me that had the 29mm mmt.
Kept a small tab to go into the fin slot where the transition will be.

For your consideration:
I’ve run into problems with modding PSII derived rockets into sustainers. That extra slot length in interstage coupler area seems to make a weak spot. I’ve had separation charges blow out the section of tube between the fins, from the base of the tubing to the centering ring.

I thought I had down sized the charge enough - but apparently not.

The next builds have printed fincans that cover the slot under the fin. Without the fincan, I think I’d spend some time to fill that slot area with something that could take a little internal pressure.

I'm working on my plan for this Terrier Sandhawk. I think I'll convert the Sandhawk from 29mm to 38mm to increase its versatility. The RRC3 seems perfect to ignite the sustainer with the auxiliary output. They should drag separate after booster burnout then the sustainer can fire. I'm thinking go big on the booster like J570 then long like I59 on the sustainer. Any suggestions on motor combinations?

Any long burn in sustainer will do epic for max altitudes (You lower the max velocity of sustainer compared to a fast burn motor and thus you reduce drag force on the airframe.) Have done many multistage comp rockets 29mm MD stuff. Long burns in sustainer are just epic win. Stuff like CTI yellow long burn is just great. Booster motors well for those rockets it was anything rather punchy to get it off rail like classic or white kinda fast like 70 FPS or higher but not stupid fast enough to kill tracker with G loadings. I’d avoid warp 9 fast burn on booster from previous experience. What you don’t want is tracker malfunction from too high G load then your fooked.

I recently contacted LOC and the difference between the 29 and 38mm BBX, Sandhawk and Tomahawk is the fins. The fins on the 38mm have the aft part of the fin tab removed so the coupler can slide in.

I also saw on the Apogee website they have a Terrier Sandhawk combo available. They also have a bay that is available for the electronics in the Sandhawk.

-Bob

Back