LOC Scout

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been a little while since I wrapped up the Big Red Max build and feel it's time to get something else on the work bench. This time I'm going to put together a LOC Scout. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0568/7489/3503/files/Scout2-Instructions.pdf?v=1623664171

I'm sure the guys at LOC would hate to hear me say this but I refer to this rocket as the Alpha of the mid-power world. Whenever someone asks me about their first mid-power rocket I recommend one of two rockets. First is this Scout as it still allows you to fly on D12 motors if you wanted to assuming you built it stock. The other is the BMS School Rocket which is touch heavy for the D motor. Both are dead simple to build, parts fit perfect and the instructions are pretty good. While I wouldn't recommend it as your first rocket, it's could easily be your 3rd or 4th.

This will be my forth time building this kit. I built one for a boy scout troop, one for a school rocket club give away and a third for a buddy that would rather fly than build. I figure it's time to build one for myself.

The kit comes very complete with the exception of motor retention but the instructions do a good job of explaining how to do friction fit and a thrust ring around the motor. As you can see it comes with a pre-slotted 2.63" body tube, 29mm motor tube, 1/4" launch lug, Parachute, heavy duty nose cone, Kevlar shock cord and even a fire blanket. The fins and centering rings are laser cut from plywood.

The only changes I'll be making is to the Kevlar and motor retainer. I like using a heavier Kevlar line simply for better burn through protection. 2.63" is a little small for me to get my hand in so I don't want to replace this. For motor retention I'll use an Estes screw on motor retainer.

1.jpg

I started with the motor mount. The motor tube was sanded for better bond from the adhesive. Next I sanded a bevel into the edges of the centering rings. Due to the way I'm attaching the Kevlar to the upper ring, I have grabbed a scrap piece of plywood to strengthen the spot where the Kevlar will pass through.

The location of the upper and lower rings were marked. This is the first deviation from the instructions. They instructions want you to place the upper ring at the very top of the motor tube. I prefer to place it at the top of the fin slots so I have additional edge for the fins to bond to. Also makes it easier to do internal fillets as the glue doesn't run off the top side of the fin tab.

3.jpg

Here we have the upper ring glued in place. Note the scrap piece of plywood with the Kevlar. A simple knot keeps the Kevlar from pulling though. This was assembled with TBII. The rear ring will be left off to allow for internal fillets.

5.jpg

Here we are ready to insert the motor mount. Note that once the motor mount was in, I inserted a fin in each slot to ensue that the upper ring was far enough forward. The lower ring was temporarily put in place to keep the motor tube centered while drying.

6.jpg

Looking down the tube we can see a nice bead of glue all the way around the upper ring. Sanding the bevel into the upper ring eases installation and give the glue a nice little notch to sit in. This was set aside and let dry for a day.

9.jpg

Next I turned to the fins. I don't typically pre-finish the fins before installation but the quality of these were great and they were nice and thick. I applied two coats of DAP brand wood filler on both sides of the fins, placed them in wax paper and let them dry with a 10lbs weight on top for a day. No issues with warping. These will be sanded and I might add a couple of coats of sealer before installing.

4.jpg

That is as far as I got. Will be working on installing fins this week.

Last edited:
Back with an update. This one went together super quickly. I sanded the filler off the fins before assembly as it was just easier. As you can see in the photo's below, there is almost no filler left. These fins are really very smooth and don't need a bunch of work to make them perfect. I did taper the leading edge and placed a small bevel on the fin tab to allow it to slide into the tube easier.

Here we have the rocket assembled with all three fins attached. I tossed the nosecone in as well for the picture to get an idea of what the finished rocket will look like.

Speaking of the nosecone. I removed the molding flash then sanded with 400 then 600 grit to get some texture for the adhesion promotor to attach to. There are some parting lines that need some filler but I'll get to that shortly.

11.jpg

Added the launch lug. This is positioned 5 inches from the rear of the body tube.

12.jpg

Next it was time for the internal fillets. Using TBII, I used a popsicle stick to pull fillets where the fins met the motor tube and where the fins met the outer body tube. While this is never a pretty process, it is strong.

Not sure why this pic looks like the fin is at an angle. It is perfectly perpendicular to the body tube. Must be the lens on the gopro.

13.jpg

Next it was time for rear centering ring. In this pic you see that any excess glue has been removed from the motor tube. This is where the motor retainer will attached and epoxy will not stick to wood glue.

The Lower ring has had bevels sanded into the inner and outer edges. This allows easier assembly and give the glue someplace to sit once assembled. The ring was glued in place by placing glue on the fin tabs and the outer tube only. I did not add glue around the motor tube as this will be held in place with epoxy in the next step.

14.jpg

Finally I added the motor retainer. The inside of the retainer has been sanded with a 36 grit roll and intentionally left very rough. During assembly the epoxy will stay in those scratches and grooves and adhere to motor tube instead of simply being pushed out.

Using BSI 30min epoxy I coated the inside of the motor retainer and the exterior of the motor tube. The retainer was slide into place. Excess epoxy was pushed out. This was cleaned up with a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol.

15.jpg

Today will be external fillets and filling the low spots in the nose cone. The weather is cooperating so I should be able to get this in primer this weekend.

Been a while as the weather here hasn't been very corporative. I finally managed to get this in primer yesterday. This is two coats of SEM high build. I need to do a little filler work on the nosecone and a little touch up on the fin fillets but it looks like I'm going to have plenty of time to do so as we won't be above freezing anytime soon :(

16.jpg17.jpg

nice build.... I got the scout for my wife ...it's a cool midpower rocket

Great choice. They really are a great first mid-power rocket. Simple to build and just heavy enough to get you started in composite motors without losing your rocket. This is the fourth one of these I've built over the years and they fly great on the AT E20 motors.

With the heavy construction, I feel like this one will out live me if I don't get silly with the motor selection and lose it :)

Alright I have a confession. Ive been cheating on the rocket hobby with another hobby. With the weather being cold and wet the past four months I’ve been working on some of my classic RC Cars. With the market on those items going absolutely insane I thought now would be a good time to get some of the classics restored and sold off.

With the weather getting better I’ve finally have a reason to get back to building. Finished the internals with 6ft of 1/2” elastic for a shock cord then turned to the paint.

The rocket was painted with Krylon bright white and let dry overnight. I’ve then masked off the main rocket body and painted the top 2 inches of the body tube along with the nose cone in Krylon cherry red. This kit did not come with any kind of decals so I cut my own from vinyl.

Other than a flight report, I’m gonna call this one done.

A0BF2490-DC64-4DE9-8CC6-CC3A71176A92.jpeg2244B17B-6585-4C6D-8C17-9B09D01209A2.jpeg3CCD6895-1C91-4534-A99D-5D02B55F1E23.jpeg

Last edited:
An old thread, but I just want to say, great build thread and very nice work on your rocket. I'm going to mark this for when I build a Scout. Thumbs up

Back