LOC-Presicion IV Kit First time in rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delta22-4

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time in rocketry since I've been a child! I have a mid-power rocket, it is cardboard and wood, 5foot tall and a 4 inch diameter. It few nice and straight with a successful recovery on a G80-7 motor three times. It was a nice clear and sunny day with little wind. Few about a 1000 feet.

Looking to purchase the refillable 29/40-120 casing with six G refills when I get some money.

I'm also gonna get the Estes Hi-Flier XL which takes E motors.

I think I'll save the High-Power level 1 certification for next year.

-Delta

DSCF9169.jpg

Indeed, welcome. And that rocket is more than capable of much higher thrust levels.

29/40-120 is great, also check out Loki 38-120: THREE different no-haz pre-l1 loads.

Last edited:
29/40-120 is great, also check out Loki 38-120: 4 different no-haz pre-l1 loads.

Welcome back to rocketry. Some things to watch out for on MPR rockets that size are:

1) Weight under 3.3lbs ready to fly or a FAA Waiver is required to fly the rocket.
2) Motors with a specific thrust of more than 80newtons and/or 125 grams of propellant are considered HPR L1motors even if they are F or G impulse class, like G125, G138, F100 etc.
3) Motors with more than 160newton seconds of thrust are HPR L1 motors.
4) Any sparkie or hybrid motor is considered to be HPR L1 or higher.

Loc IV's are great rockets, of course I happen to be a fan of cardboard rockets. Hopefully there is a local to you rocketry club, as every club I have visited has been full of helpful, knowledgeable people.

Below is a chart I found (here on TRF most likely, and hopefully its still all correct info) that kind of explains what to watch out for and can push your rockets into the territory of requiring HPR certifications and a FAA waiver.

View attachment 294980

Last edited:
Welcome back. I got into mid/high power with a LOC 4. Great rocket. put on a payload section and can go L2 with it

I am from Syracuse, New York State. This launch site is a regional club launch site in a hay field.
I'm staying away from the high-power stuff because of being short on cash.
I believe our club has a 3200ft FAA waiver.
What is a Sparkie / Hybrid?

It's good news I can do L2 with my LOC IV. Didn't think of that.. excellent.

-Delta

This is a sparky, they look really cool, but if in a fire prone area special care has to be taken.

22285951940_c1cd96420a_z.jpg

Credits to David McCann (cuz its his picture :))

A hybrid motor uses a oxidizer (usually nitrous oxide) and a fuel grain, the two parts are kept separate until ignition. Hybrids tend to be fairly fickle/touchy/downright ornery depending on your point of view, but they do require specialized ground support equipment, a lot of knowledge, but can be rewarding for those who like a challenge.

Indeed, welcome. And that rocket is more than capable of much higher thrust levels.

Welcome back. I got into mid/high power with a LOC 4. Great rocket. put on a payload section and can go L2 with it

I am from Syracuse, New York State. [snip]

It's good news I can do L2 with my LOC IV. Didn't think of that.. excellent.

-Delta

Ah, you young kids with your newfangled LOC IV's. :wink: :eyeroll: MY LOC IV is really old school; it has the 29mm mmt. No way I could have done a L2 cert with it. Not many J class 29mm motors around back then (or now?). That I knew of, at least... :dark:

The LOC IV is a great rocket. I did my L1 with it. It flies almost every launch I go to.

Ah, you young kids with your newfangled LOC IV's. :wink: :eyeroll: MY LOC IV is really old school; it has the 29mm mmt. No way I could have done a L2 cert with it. Not many J class 29mm motors around back then (or now?). That I knew of, at least... :dark:
LOC has been making the LOC 4 with a 38mm motor mount for a number of years now. (but mine was a 29mm also, kitted in 1991)

LOC has been making the LOC 4 with a 38mm motor mount for a number of years now. (but mine was a 29mm also, kitted in 1991)

Yeah, I think they switched to 38mm a couple of years after I built mine. I think mine was bought in 1996 or 1997. Maybe 1998 at the latest.
I think it has a motor block in it too. That's gonna have to come out. Somehow...

Adrian

This reminds me Mr. Eric C hookes me up with a Rocket R&D Brutus. I am going to hace to get going on it for this falls launches.

Mine is a modified kit which includes a payload compartment and a 29mm motor mount. I'll have to build another rocket if I want to go Level 2.

I hate it when I miss something during construction and it causes me to build another rocket!:cool:

Having another rocket is not a bad thing. Not only can you add to your fleet, you can also add things that you learn along the way or improve your building skills

LOC IV and Hi-Tech my brother bought together as our first high power Kits in '87 maybe? With the 29mm mount and fin tabs that didn't reach the motor mount, it cracked a fillet on every landing. That had some big fillets from adding a new layer every time it needed repaired. Glad to see it switch to 38mm with the fin tabs extended. Was a great flyer at least and a classic!

Back