LOC Precision website specs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
Reaction score
Several months ago I bought and built a LOC Warlock and have flown it repeatedly. The handy website infographic said it would be 100 oz (6.25 lbs). The specs at the bottom listed it as 6 lbs. My actual build was 7 lbs. No biggie, I use a lot of epoxy.

Now I've been looking at a LOC Bruiser. The infographic says 144 oz (9 lbs) but the specs at the bottom say 14 lbs. That's quite a difference.

Since then I've looked at other kits and have found other similar and large discrepancies. The Bruiser EXP has in infographic weight of 12.5 lbs but a spec listed as 20 lbs.

The Doorknob has an infographic weight of 7.6 lbs but a spec listed as 11.5 lbs.

At this point I don't know what to believe.

Last edited:
Call them. One may be built weight, the other loaded weight. With or without motor. Or maybe they just don't update their graphics. Regardless, choice of chutes, chute protection, retainer, harnesses, amount of glue, etc. will make no two rockets exactly the same.

The info-graphic was created long ago by the previous owner and they've always been under-weight. The specs in the description are from the new owners and they're much closer to as-built.

Contact them and ask. They're real quick about getting back to you. I asked if the 5.5in Sandhawk came with an electronics bay and they replied in less than an hour. (the answer is no, but theres tons of room for one)

Contact them and ask. They're real quick about getting back to you. I asked if the 5.5in Sandhawk came with an electronics bay and they replied in less than an hour. (the answer is no, but theres tons of room for one)
I recently bought a Goblin and in the website's Rocksim file it listed the NC as an ogive type. But the NC in the kit seemed more like a parabolic. So I sent an email asking which type was correct. Sadly it's been 8 days now and no reply...

The Loc 4" nosecone is an ogive shape, with a relatively large radius at the tip. Hasn't changed in 30 years. I can see where one would see a parabolic, but it is an ogive....enter it as such, enter the tip radius if the sim allows you to do so, and realize that Rocksim is only so accurate anyway (and horrible with reference to accuracy with cause and effect with various nosecone choices by the way!)

A Bruiser can probably be built at 9lbs, but with the way people tend to build today, it will likely end up over 10, possibly up to 14lbs, or even more. So many variables there! For reference, I have a Bruiser that weighs right around 10, and one that weighs right around 20. Same dimensions, different internals, different finishing options etc. One has the tradition 54mm mount (with 2-38 outboards), the other has a 98mm mount and likes N's. A stock built Bruiser flies great on an I284W, or a K550W....but you gotta resist the temptation for all the "upgrades" people feel are "necessary".

The Loc 4" nosecone is an ogive shape, with a relatively large radius at the tip. Hasn't changed in 30 years. I can see where one would see a parabolic, but it is an ogive....enter it as such, enter the tip radius if the sim allows you to do so, and realize that Rocksim is only so accurate anyway (and horrible with reference to accuracy with cause and effect with various nosecone choices by the way!).
Thank you for your reply. Perhaps, in the future, LOC will include this information either in the build info sheet or on their website. Personally I find it (and other rocket design specs) helpful in making purchasing decisions.

The info-graphic was created long ago by the previous owner and they've always been under-weight. The specs in the description are from the new owners and they're much closer to as-built.

Contact them and ask.

Yes. The LOC website is a bad mashup of old and new and incorrect information. Frankly, a call should not be required for basic specs. Fix the conflicts in the webpage, please.

I don't understand why most manufacturers play a mystery game with the rocket mass. A simple statement of "Dry mass of kit components = xxx. The final weight of your rocket may vary." would clear things up.

I would definitely call LOC if I really wanted to know, but I've just been browsing lately. This is kind of what has been annoying me...I'm just looking for basic information, yet they don't supply it.

If their infographics are out of date they could give any random person with five minutes of Photoshop experience 50 bucks to mask and replace the text that needs to be updated. This is trivial, and I don't know why they would still be using old graphics with bad information.

Another thing that has started to bother me lately...they started updating their text to talk about their MMAS motor mounts but that has only lead to confusion. What is this thing? How does it work? What mount diameters does it come with? What can I add on? I'm tempted to order an MMAS kit just to find out what it is.

I would definitely call LOC if I really wanted to know, but I've just been browsing lately. This is kind of what has been annoying me...I'm just looking for basic information, yet they don't supply it.

If their infographics are out of date they could give any random person with five minutes of Photoshop experience 50 bucks to mask and replace the text that needs to be updated. This is trivial, and I don't know why they would still be using old graphics with bad information.

Another thing that has started to bother me lately...they started updating their text to talk about their MMAS motor mounts but that has only lead to confusion. What is this thing? How does it work? What mount diameters does it come with? What can I add on? I'm tempted to order an MMAS kit just to find out what it is.
I think that as they update each kit with newer parts/processes, you'll see them update the info too. Could be not worth the cost of a $50 intern if it'll have to be redone in short time anyway.

I just built their 4" goblin which has a MMAS. I was curious and confused at first but now that it's built, its a really good system. The kit comes with a 54mm MMT and then adapters for 38mm and 29mm. They integrate the positive motor retention into it as well with 2 motor clips on each size. In the past I would have purchased a 54mm aeropack and I have the adapters for 54 to 38 and 38 to 29 but the retainer and adapters aren't needed for this. It is tied to the width of the BT so I can't move the MMAS adapters from the 4" goblin to a 3" Sandhawk, but since its included in the kit, I'm not worried about it.

I just built their 4" goblin which has a MMAS...The kit comes with a 54mm MMT and then adapters for 38mm and 29mm. They integrate the positive motor retention into it as well with 2 motor clips on each size. In the past I would have purchased a 54mm aeropack and I have the adapters for 54 to 38 and 38 to 29 but the retainer and adapters aren't needed for this.
I'm just finishing up the same kit, and like you normally would use an AeroPack motor retainer - and I also have the 38 & 29mm AP adapters. But given the extra cost for the 54mm AP retainer, I decided to build & use the LOC MMT adapters.

After building them, I found that besides saving some $$, I saved ~70g in weight using the LOC 38mm adapter compared to the AP adapters & retainer.

Do the MMAS adapters allow for unlimited motor length, unlike the PML motor adapters?
I would say yes, to the extent that you can fit in your chute, SC, and any ejection charge protection. The adapter is basically a MMT with 2 CRs, a couple of weld nuts, a backplate, and the motor retaining hardware. It's an open ended MMT...

Back