LOC Precision Ultimate Kit - Component Pictures?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a LOC Precision Ultimate kit to cluster 7 of my 29mm motors. I've searched for information about what is included in the kit but haven't been able to find a picture of the components.

I'm primarily interested in the motor mount assembly. Is the assembly just 7x 29mm tubes epoxied together and slipped into the main body tube, or is there some form of centering ring? Is the kit limited on motor length in any way?

Thanks in advance for the help. If you have one you'd like to sell I am sure we could work out a deal!

From older kits, there were centering rings for the 7 connected mount tubes. Not much room between mount and tube. I think 3 tubes are full length and open fot motor ejection. Other 4 should have charges removed. This is based on the 90s version.

From older kits, there were centering rings for the 7 connected mount tubes. Not much room between mount and tube. I think 3 tubes are full length and open fot motor ejection. Other 4 should have charges removed. This is based on the 90s version.

That sounds pretty good actually. I would prefer it have CR's on the 7 tubes vs. being glued into the main tube. I just wanted to make sure that the outer tubes aren't limited on motor length.

There are two centering rings. The lower one accommodates all seven tubes, but the upper only has three openings, in line across the middle. As it comes, there is a limit to the length of the tubes for four of the six outside motors. I am modifying the kit by adding longer MMT tubes to that I can fit CTI 6Gr motors in the outboard tubes.

I can measure when I get home this evening, probably not until after 9pm MST. I bought it last year, when Countyline had their free shipping sale. I've sleeved the body tube with CF/FG, and am planning to do something to upgrade the fins, as my goal is to fly with 4 x CTI 6Gr plus 3 CTI 6XL motors, with airstarts.:)

Last edited:
There are two centering rings. The lower one accommodates all seven tubes, but the upper only has three openings, in line across the middle. As it comes, there is a limit to the length of the tubes for four of the six outside motors. I am modifying the kit by adding longer MMT tubes to that I can fit CTI 6Gr motors in the outboard tubes.

I can measure when I get home this evening, probably not until after 9pm MST. I bought it last year, when Countyline had their free shipping sale. I've sleeved the body tube with CF/FG, and am planning to do something to upgrade the fins, as my goal is to fly with 4 x CTI 6Gr plus 3 CTI 6XL motors, with airstarts.:)

Very cool. Countyline would be my vendor of choice. If it's drop shipped from LOC, I will likely request a second "aft" CR with seven holes in lieu of the "fore" CR that only has 3 holes.

I agree with your sentiment, I'd like all mounts to be able to take a very long motor. I'm essentially looking for something to fly several of my 29mm motors under our 7,000' waiver. Likely configuration would be a central 29-6G and two 29-4G motors off the pad, followed by a pair of 29-3G at 3s, then a pair of 29-2G at 5.5s. Altitude would be kept to a minimum, but the effect is what I am after. A dedicated Raven in a bay just above the motors will take care of the air-starts while an AIM Xtra takes care of deployment/tracking.

If you plan to use any reloadables, you will need to open up the centering rings a bit. Put casings WITH CLOSURES in the tubes BEFORE you glue them together, so there is room for the closures. Yes it can be done, you just need to plan for it.
-Ken

th_20130430_202423_zpsded00865.jpg

If I were to build it again, I'd have the fin tabs longer, and position them to go in the valleys between the motor tubes. As-is, they are fairly weak, tabbed only through the outer airframe.

-Ken

If you plan to use any reloadables, you will need to open up the centering rings a bit. Put casings WITH CLOSURES in the tubes BEFORE you glue them together, so there is room for the closures. Yes it can be done, you just need to plan for it.
-Ken

Good suggestion. I will be using my own hardware that I have machined. The cases use a spiral retaining ring as a thrust ring. I may need to grind them down a little bit in order for them to fit without interfering with other tubes.

I try and keep all there 4" and smaller kits in stock. I usualy drop ship the bigger kits as 2 things, Space and shipping cost. As my web site max shipping cost is no where the reality cost of the big kits. $30.00 to ship a big kit is the norm.

2016-09-04 14.25.31.jpg
All 7 lit! powered by 1 x H 399 + 2 x I 200 air-started 2 x G 138's and 2 x G 80's
5,493 altitude attained.

JD

-Ken

This is a very good point. I have wore out my bottom end 3 times .Although pricey, i would replace the paper tubes with phenolic or fiberglass.

th_20130430_202423_zpsded00865.jpg

If I were to build it again, I'd have the fin tabs longer, and position them to go in the valleys between the motor tubes. As-is, they are fairly weak, tabbed only through the outer airframe.

-Ken

Did I miss something. The very first one I built in 1990 or earlier said to sand angles on fin root and glue into valleys between tubes. I did one better, glued fins to mmt before airframe. Extended fin slots to rear and attached as one unit.

Did I miss something. The very first one I built in 1990 or earlier said to sand angles on fin root and glue into valleys between tubes. I did one better, glued fins to mmt before airframe. Extended fin slots to rear and attached as one unit.

The fin set that I ordered from LOC had just long enough tabs to reach the motor tubes as in my photo. I have a few cracked fillets to fix before flying again. I've been saving some H125 SU motors left over from Vaisala rocketsonde development for this.
-Ken

Originals had the fin tabs in the valley. Yeah, one 3-tube centering ring, one 7-tube centering ring. Tubes fir together such that you had room for the masking tape thrust ring on a SU motor from the time (thickness of the motor mount tube) and that is it.

For retention, friction fit or use the area between the tubes to hold some form of nut.

I have some tricks up my sleeve on how to make this a really functional and easy to prep rocket, despite its complexity.

Here are the .ork and .rkt files for my customized version. Going with 17" tubes for the short MMTs, because it's easy to cut a 34" tube into two 17" tubes with no waste. Fins are slightly shortened because I plan to mount them in the valleys rather than the outside of the MMT tubes. Have not accounted for weight of CF tube nor fins yet.

View attachment My LOC Ultimate.ork
View attachment My LOC Ultimate.rkt

Back